cheezy wiring situation...what would happen to the audio?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 21, 2005 4:54:12 PM

hello,

i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer and
then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into an
"aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.

disclaimer: this is not my rig!

what happens to the audio by doing this? besides collapsing the stereo
spectrum into mono, does it change the dbu's, worsen the s/n ratio, add
some problem, create a safety hazard, etc.

so basically,
pair of 1/4" plugs merged into a single rca jack = ?
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:08:53 PM

Hmm, not knowing what on earth you are trying to do why not take the
tape output from the Mackie into the receiver's tape inputs (or is this
somekind of boombox?)? Who makes a mono aux input anyway?
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:52:09 PM

the 1202 Vlz-pro
April 22, 2005 12:08:40 AM

On 4/21/05 3:54 PM, in article
1114113252.144244.74150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
"genericaudioperson@hotmail.com" <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer and
> then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into an
> "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.
>
> disclaimer: this is not my rig!
>
> what happens to the audio by doing this? besides collapsing the stereo
> spectrum into mono,

Not much at all.

> does it change the dbu's,

They go up a tad,

> worsen the s/n ratio,

Nah

> \add some problem, create a safety hazard, etc.

Nope

> so basically,
> pair of 1/4" plugs merged into a single rca jack = ?
Shold be fine, though the full output of the Mackie (what model?) COULD
overdrive the reciever... Or not.

Play with it and see what you get.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:29:37 AM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer and
> then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into an
> "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.
>
> disclaimer: this is not my rig!
>
> what happens to the audio by doing this? besides collapsing the stereo
> spectrum into mono, does it change the dbu's, worsen the s/n ratio, add
> some problem, create a safety hazard, etc.
>
> so basically,
> pair of 1/4" plugs merged into a single rca jack = ?

This can in rare cases cause problems when the output op amps, or the point
from which their feedback is taken is directly connected to the output pins.
In this case connecting the outputs together would cause a rise in
distortion as any difference in the outputs would cause the outputs to
"fight" one another, either reducing the -ve feed back to one op amp or in
extreme cases forcing it into current limiting. In making up such a lead I
usually fit a 1k resistor into each signal line to prevent any such problems
the rise in output impedance does not usually case any problems providing
the input to which I am connecting is basically resistive and the cable is
short enough to have negligible capacitance.

John D
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 3:06:16 AM

genericaudioperson wrote:

> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer and
> then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into an
> "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.

> disclaimer: this is not my rig!

> what happens to the audio by doing this? besides collapsing the stereo
> spectrum into mono, does it change the dbu's, worsen the s/n ratio, add
> some problem, create a safety hazard, etc.

> so basically,
> pair of 1/4" plugs merged into a single rca jack = ?

But why? Since the result will be mono, why not just take either the
left or right feed from the mackie and use it alone? I can't see what
you'd gain using both.

--
ha
Anonymous

I just KNEW it'd been way too long since I visited the RANE site...

Should be mandatory for R.A.O denizens...
-----------------
Several envelope-pushing unique features beg attention.
Such as the pneumonic suspension to reduce gravitational electron drift due
to tilted chassis;
such as the proprietary paint that reflects odd-ordered harmonic light
frequencies to reduce non-linear photon radiation interference;
such as Rane's patent pending (in 3 galaxies) Time Warp
Compression/Expansion to synchronize Here/There time coordinates;
such as the Interdimensional Stabilizer essential for This and That;
such as the 10 megawatt mini fusion reactor power supply for those demanding
audio transients --
and featuring the first use of nearly room temperature (-146° C) bismuth
superconductors. (It should be noted that the cooling system is not
provided, but is required.) No expense has been spared.

And the physical construction is exquisite. Utilizing another Rane first,
the all-concrete chassis and front panel, the PI 14 displays unequalled
vibrational stability. And with the optional aggregate front panel the
Pseudoacoustic Infector is a wonder to fondle.
------------------

....fondle indeed...

On 4/21/05 8:19 PM, in article
1114121842.765611.25280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "arohana"
<arohanamusic@verizon.net> wrote:

> Go to:
>
> http://www.rane.com/library.html
>
> and scroll down and read the document titled "Why Not Wye?".

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 8:17:21 AM

<< Pseudoacoustic Infector >>

I had one of those but the wheels fell off.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:23:05 PM

hank alrich wrote:
> genericaudioperson wrote:
>
>> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer
>> and then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go
>> into an "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy
>> speakers.
>
>> disclaimer: this is not my rig!
>
>> what happens to the audio by doing this? besides collapsing the
>> stereo spectrum into mono, does it change the dbu's, worsen the s/n
>> ratio, add some problem, create a safety hazard, etc.
>
>> so basically,
>> pair of 1/4" plugs merged into a single rca jack = ?
>
> But why? Since the result will be mono, why not just take either the
> left or right feed from the mackie and use it alone? I can't see what
> you'd gain using both.

Bingo! The answer I was thinking as I read through the others....

jak
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:51:18 PM

On 4/22/05 7:17 AM, in article
1114168641.260241.60020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "psalter"
<psalter@opry.com> wrote:

> << Pseudoacoustic Infector >>
>
> I had one of those but the wheels fell off.

Wheels?
Shoot, that was the pre-release demo, there were what 5 of those made? It
was because of that they went to a maglev mounting for the production
models.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:53:11 PM

genericaudioperson wrote:

> the 1202 Vlz-pro

Pan inputs straight up; left or right to intended input. Use either
master out or RCA "tape" out. Deal done. Really. I do this often with a
"vintage" 1202.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1114113252.144244.74150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> genericaudioperson@hotmail.com writes:

> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer and
> then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into an
> "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.

Paralleling outputs directly isn't always a good thing. Since you'll
be running the cheesy receiver in mono, why not just set all the pan
pots fully to one side and just run a single channel into the
receiver?

Alternatively, if you're using stereo panning for something else (a
good set of speakers, perhaps, or a recording) you could feed the
cheesy receiver from an auxiliary send. That's mono. You could set it
post-fader so it will follow the mix.

April 23, 2005 2:59:43 AM

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have to take the 1/4" left/right outputs of a small Mackie mixer
and
> then gang them into a single RCA connection the other end to go into
an
> "aux" input on a cheesy reciever to drive a set of cheesy speakers.

Why would the cheesy receiver have two speakers if it's mono? Are you
sure it's mono? Even if it's just a single mini-input it's probably
still stereo (ring, tip, sleeve)...... You can get a stereo adapter to
cover the job.

But listen to the expert's advice here and just take one side of the
Mackie or the aux send. I wouldn't use the main out as it may be a +4
db pro output and too hot for the receiver.

Avoid the y cord if you can, simply because it connects the two outputs
of the Mackie together and the signal no longer flows properly.

J_West
!