MP3 listening really only possible on memory expansion car..

a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 11:21:12 AM

Hi,

The person who gave my gorgeous Palm T3 was convinced from the ad'
that it came with an integrated MP3 player... which was one of the
reasons why she purchased this device (apart from other PIM features).

But after one week exploration and research I wasn't successful in
having an MP3 played on my TT3, the RealOne Player willing to read
those from a memory expansion card (sold separately, arrghhh)...

Is there any alternative or does that apply to *any* music player ?
This is kinda frustrating as now that I've sync'ed my Outlook and a
few pics and docs, I'm still left with more than 40MB free memory and
it would NOT be usable to listen to music ?

Most frustrating is that thanks to the built-in Kinoma videoclip
player, I could view two avi music clips, downloaded on the main
memory, and enjoy the music+video !!!

There *must* be some alternative, right ??? ;-)
Well... I hope so !

Finally, if going for a memory expansion card is an absolute must, are
there different *types* of memory that exclude features one from the
other (things you can do with one type and nother another) or is this
transparent to all applications? I've seen a lot enthusiam in this NG
for a 256MB Panasonic memory card which was said to be reliable and
fast, at a good price. Any confirmation on this ? Is this card
available under various hadrware types ? (SD, CF, MMD or whatever
acronym still a bit cryptic to me)

Thanks a lot for your insights and advice for a Palm newbie :-)

Cheers

Arnie
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 1:18:27 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:25:30 -0600, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> I take the cards out of the machine and case and stick them in my wallet
> so that if the machine gets lost or stolen, I can just walk into a
> Office Depot buy a new Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.

Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access to your computer? ;)

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.02.16.18.27.172000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:25:30 -0600, C.Joseph Drayton
> wrote:
>
>> I take the cards out of the machine and case and stick
>> them in my wallet so that if the machine gets lost or
>> stolen, I can just walk into a Office Depot buy a new
>> Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.
>
> Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access
> to your computer? ;)

Lenroc,

Look at BackupBuddyVFS. Here's the link:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.s...

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 2:56:31 PM

C.Joseph Drayton rose quietly and spake the following:

> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it would work. I
> think the music programs automatically look for a SD card.

As I recall, it is impossible to put anything but a *.pdb or *.prc file on
the handheld itself. Any other file type has to be installed on an
expansion card. The Palm Quick Install tool knows what to do with *.mp3
files - install them on the card.

* HOWEVER *

If you're going to be transferring song files to and from the SD card, I
STRONGLY recommend that you get a USB card reader. You can then manage the
song files on your SD card as if they were on any other drive of your
computer. It's faster to do it that way, too.

--
Derek

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the
effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

This epigram brought to you by the letter "N" and the number "11".
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 2:56:32 PM

"Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message
> C.Joseph Drayton rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it
>> would work. I think the music programs automatically
>> look for a SD card.
>
> As I recall, it is impossible to put anything but a *.pdb
> or *.prc file on the handheld itself. Any other file type
> has to be installed on an expansion card. The Palm Quick
> Install tool knows what to do with *.mp3 files - install
> them on the card.
>
> * HOWEVER *
>
> If you're going to be transferring song files to and from
> the SD card, I STRONGLY recommend that you get a USB card
> reader. You can then manage the song files on your SD
> card as if they were on any other drive of your computer.
> It's faster to do it that way, too.

Forget the USB card reader if you've got a Palm handheld; try using Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable,
much better. Here's the link:

http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=73&...

--
Respectfully,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 2:56:33 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:06:12 -0700, Todd Shillam wrote:

> Forget the USB card reader if you've got a Palm handheld; try using
> Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable, much better. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=73&...

Unless you want to Sync and have access tot he card on the PC at the same
time... ;)

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.02.16.14.50.375000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:06:12 -0700, Todd Shillam wrote:
>
>> Forget the USB card reader if you've got a Palm
>> handheld; try using Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable, much
>> better. Here's the link:
>>
>> http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=73&...
>
> Unless you want to Sync and have access tot he card on
> the PC at the same time... ;)

Lenroc,

I use Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable; however, I also have Card Export to mount a drive on my
computer as well. I get the best of both worlds using the cable and the Card Export program. I
forgot to mention that Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable is also plug-and-play compatible with Windows
2000 and XP--a very nice feature indeed. One last note....The transfer speed using the cable is very
fast as well.

--
Respectfully,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
WWW: http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Message Board: http://shillamforums.point2this.com
Chat Server: http://technologychat.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 7:31:05 PM

Hi Lenroc,

I just pop in the SD card and choose it from the main screen. I then tap BackupMan and tell it to restore. The thing is to put a
copy of the backup/restore application on the card.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Lenroc wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:25:30 -0600, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>

>>I take the cards out of the machine and case and stick them in my wallet
>>so that if the machine gets lost or stolen, I can just walk into a
>>Office Depot buy a new Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.
>

> Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access to your computer? ;)

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 8:10:33 PM

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:56:31 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:

>C.Joseph Drayton rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it would work. I
>> think the music programs automatically look for a SD card.
>
>As I recall, it is impossible to put anything but a *.pdb or *.prc file on
>the handheld itself. Any other file type has to be installed on an
>expansion card. The Palm Quick Install tool knows what to do with *.mp3
>files - install them on the card.
>
>* HOWEVER *
>
>If you're going to be transferring song files to and from the SD card, I
>STRONGLY recommend that you get a USB card reader. You can then manage the
>song files on your SD card as if they were on any other drive of your
>computer. It's faster to do it that way, too.

I'll second that on the card reader. Very good solution.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 8:15:49 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:18:27 -0700, Lenroc
<lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:25:30 -0600, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>
>> I take the cards out of the machine and case and stick them in my wallet
>> so that if the machine gets lost or stolen, I can just walk into a
>> Office Depot buy a new Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.
>
>Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access to your computer? ;)

That's the reason to backup to an SD card so that you can restore
without access to a computer. I use BackupMan and have been very happy
with it. So far, perfect restores from the card:

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 8:15:50 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:15:49 +0000, krewl wrote:

> That's the reason to backup to an SD card so that you can restore
> without access to a computer.

But with a brand new Palm, wouldn't you need to install the backup
software before you could do a restore?

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.02.16.28.53.422000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:15:49 +0000, krewl wrote:
>
>> That's the reason to backup to an SD card so that you
>> can restore without access to a computer.
>
> But with a brand new Palm, wouldn't you need to install
> the backup software before you could do a restore?

Lenroc,

No--you don't need to install any software whereas the backup program (BackupBuddyVFS) is installed
on the expansion card. When you buy a new Palm, you just insert your old card and click the backup
program's icon. Once the program starts (loads from the card), you just click the 'Restore'
button--your done. Works like a charm I tell ya!

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 8:15:52 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:12:34 -0700, Todd Shillam wrote:

> No--you don't need to install any software whereas the backup program
> (BackupBuddyVFS) is installed on the expansion card. When you buy a new
> Palm, you just insert your old card and click the backup program's icon.
> Once the program starts (loads from the card),

Erg... sorry.

Didn't realize you could launch apps from the card.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Lenroc rose quietly and spake the following:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:12:34 -0700, Todd Shillam wrote:
>
>> No--you don't need to install any software whereas the backup program
>> (BackupBuddyVFS) is installed on the expansion card. When you buy a new
>> Palm, you just insert your old card and click the backup program's icon.
>> Once the program starts (loads from the card),
>
> Erg... sorry.
>
> Didn't realize you could launch apps from the card.

You can.

I can't speak for anything newer than an m515, but I use a program called
PiDirectII which creates an active directory on the memory card that
functions just like it was RAM. It's a little slower, and not all
applications will work on a card.

But I have a bunch of games on my SD card, which freed up my RAM memory for
things like Avantgo and Vindigo (which can be run off of a card using
additional software, but they get REEEEEEEEEALY slow).

Just my experience. Someone else will have to speak to the issue of running
programs off of a card with a T3.
--
Derek

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know
the terror of being forever lost at sea.

This epigram brought to you by the letter "I" and the number "20".
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 8:44:09 PM

"Todd Shillam" <tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<ecGdnWtcno1kGnjdRVn-vA@comcast.com>...

> > If you're going to be transferring song files to and from
> > the SD card, I STRONGLY recommend that you get a USB card
> > reader. You can then manage the song files on your SD
> > card as if they were on any other drive of your computer.
> > It's faster to do it that way, too.
>
> Forget the USB card reader if you've got a Palm handheld; try using Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable,
> much better. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=73&...

Thanks to all for the rich debate on features and accessories, I
learned a lot!

Now, as I'm very new to the PDA world, and just for supporting my soon
to come purchasing decision(s) could you please look at those
questions ?

(1) I saw and understood what innopocket's 3-in-1 was but... I only
see two usages (sync&recharge Palm, copy to/from expansion card) and
not 3 ?

(2) Can the 3-in-1 device be used "alone" (without Palm plugged) as a
USB drive like a USB memory-disk would be ? Possibly even at USB 2.0
speed ?? That would be terrific cause I was about to purchase a tiny
512 USB 2.0 MemKey to hang with my keys... of course that
3-in-1-thingy would be less "sexy" and more voluminous but it would
spare at least 150EUR...

(3) When the expansion card is inserted in the Palm T3, is there any
desktop application that more or less allows to
seamlessly/interactively transfer file like Windows Explorer does ?
Or is there a separate application/conduit needed that shuffles the
files when HotSync is started ?

(4) In the end, what is the difference between the initial suggestion
"USB Card Reader" and "3-in-1 Innopocket cable" -- apart from the
obvious fact that they can both allow the desktop to read the card
(via Win Explorer, right ?) What are the other reasons why the latter
is "much better" ?

(5) a final question about the memory card itself : I see 'SD' and
'MMC' cards being mentioned ? Is there a difference ? Does speed
matter, and if yes, is the nominal transfer speed mentioned on the
packaging thereof ? What would be a good price for a 512MB memory
card and which brand would you recommend ?

Thanks a million for your patience and precious advice(s) !

Arnie
July 2, 2004 8:52:14 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:28:53 -0700, Lenroc wrote:

> But with a brand new Palm, wouldn't you need to install the backup
> software before you could do a restore?

I don't know about current Palm models, but several older
handhelds (with Palm OS 3.5x) shipped from the factory with a
self-installing backup program in Flash RAM. With a new or freshly
reset handheld using Palm OS 5.x, would it not have the ability to
run a backup program from an SD card if it was stored in a suitable
folder? (Don't know the ans. as I haven't used any OS5 handhelds).
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 9:47:22 PM

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:09:47 -0700, "Todd Shillam"
<tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:p an.2004.07.02.16.18.27.172000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:25:30 -0600, C.Joseph Drayton
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I take the cards out of the machine and case and stick
>>> them in my wallet so that if the machine gets lost or
>>> stolen, I can just walk into a Office Depot buy a new
>>> Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.
>>
>> Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access
>> to your computer? ;)
>
>Lenroc,
>
>Look at BackupBuddyVFS. ......

I can give a good recommendation on BackupBuddyVFS as well. I use it
and BackupMan. They both give error-free restores to my SJ30. I tend
to lean toward BackupMan only because of the ability to have multiple
backups (I don't think BackupBuddyVFS will do that from what I can
tell). Other than that, they seem about equal in reliability. Here is
the BackupBuddyVFS developer's website...

http://www.bluenomad.com/
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 9:47:23 PM

"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:09:47 -0700, "Todd Shillam"
> <tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:p an.2004.07.02.16.18.27.172000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com

>>> Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access
>>> to your computer? ;)
>>
>> Lenroc,
>>
>> Look at BackupBuddyVFS. ......
>
> I can give a good recommendation on BackupBuddyVFS as
> well. I use it and BackupMan. They both give error-free
> restores to my SJ30. I tend to lean toward BackupMan only
> because of the ability to have multiple backups (I don't
> think BackupBuddyVFS will do that from what I can tell).
> Other than that, they seem about equal in reliability.
> Here is the BackupBuddyVFS developer's website...
>
> http://www.bluenomad.com/

Krewl,

BackupBuddy v2 for Windows has a new feature called 'ZoomBack' --it saves restore points so-to-speak
for each backup performed on a computer.

--
Respectfully,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 9:47:23 PM

"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:09:47 -0700, "Todd Shillam"
> <tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:p an.2004.07.02.16.18.27.172000@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com

>>> Oh? How do you restore from the SD card, without access
>>> to your computer? ;)
>>
>> Lenroc,
>>
>> Look at BackupBuddyVFS. ......
>
> I can give a good recommendation on BackupBuddyVFS as
> well. I use it and BackupMan. They both give error-free
> restores to my SJ30. I tend to lean toward BackupMan only
> because of the ability to have multiple backups (I don't
> think BackupBuddyVFS will do that from what I can tell).
> Other than that, they seem about equal in reliability.
> Here is the BackupBuddyVFS developer's website...
>
> http://www.bluenomad.com/

Krewl,

BackupBuddy v2 for Windows has a new feature called 'ZoomBack' that saves restore points
so-to-speak.

--
Respectfully,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 10:13:59 PM

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> Hi Arnie,
>
> I have 3 SD cards that go with me everywhere. 1 Toshiba (512MB) and 2
> SanDisk (256MB). I also use a Tungsten|T3 and am spoiled with all the
> free space on the Palm. I keep the Toshiba card in the machine, one of
> the SanDisk cards is for programming and the other is for music (I do
> keep about 128MB of music on the Toshiba card as well).
>
> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it would work. I
> think the music programs automatically look for a SD card.
>
> As to buying a card, I would strongly recommend that you do so. The
> fastest way to backup your Palm main memory is to an SD card. You can be
> away from a computer and still be backed up in the event of a system
> crash. When I travel, I take the cards out of the machine and case and
> stick them in my wallet so that if the machine gets lost or stolen, I
> can just walk into a Office Depot buy a new Palm restore from the SD
> backup and be on my way.

What SW do you use for backing up? Do you have a small program
installed on the cards?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 10:14:00 PM

"fm" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>> Hi Arnie,
>>
>> I have 3 SD cards that go with me everywhere. 1 Toshiba
>> (512MB) and 2 SanDisk (256MB). I also use a Tungsten|T3
>> and am spoiled with all the free space on the Palm. I
>> keep the Toshiba card in the machine, one of the SanDisk
>> cards is for programming and the other is for music (I
>> do keep about 128MB of music on the Toshiba card as
>> well).
>>
>> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it
>> would work. I think the music programs automatically
>> look for a SD card.
>>
>> As to buying a card, I would strongly recommend that you
>> do so. The fastest way to backup your Palm main memory
>> is to an SD card. You can be away from a computer and
>> still be backed up in the event of a system crash. When
>> I travel, I take the cards out of the machine and case
>> and stick them in my wallet so that if the machine gets
>> lost or stolen, I can just walk into a Office Depot buy
>> a new Palm restore from the SD backup and be on my way.
>>
> What SW do you use for backing up? Do you have a small
> program installed on the cards?

I use BackupBuddyVFS to backup my Palm data. I also just purchased BackupBuddy v2 for Windows. I
decided to upgrade for a couple reasons. First, I use FlyZip to compress programs to a 128MB
expansion card--the programs are saved on the card, not the Palm's built-in memory. Now, the new
release of BackupBuddy for Windows supports backing up expansion card folder and files--so when the
hotsync is performed, BackupBuddy backs up my zipped program files on the card to my laptop.

In closing, if you've got any questions, you can visit my chat room at the following link or post a
reply. Here's my chat room link:

http://technologychat.point2this.com

Or you can visit my message board at the following link (registration required):

http://shillamforums.point2this.com

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 2, 2004 10:14:00 PM

Hi FM,

I like BackupMan. Fast, easy to use and inexpensive.

Any time I have a client buy a new Palm, I make sure they buy a card and register BackupMan.

Just as an aside, an example of the importance of backups, is one of my clients does a lot of presentations around the country.
We set her up with a Proxima project (small form factor), an iGo Display adapter and a Palm Tungsten|C. She had not bought a SD
card at that point, and did not have a computer with her. I won't go into all of the painful details, but she did get to give
her presentation. As soon as she came back, I had her buy a 256MB SD card, and she hasn't had a problem since. Note that we put
a copy of BackupMan on the SD card so that she can restore after a hard reset.

Computers crash. Palms are little computers . . . which means they will crash. Can you afford to be without your Palm until the
next time you can Hotsync?

fm wrote:
> C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>
>> Hi Arnie,
>>
>> I have 3 SD cards that go with me everywhere. 1 Toshiba (512MB) and 2
>> SanDisk (256MB). I also use a Tungsten|T3 and am spoiled with all the
>> free space on the Palm. I keep the Toshiba card in the machine, one of
>> the SanDisk cards is for programming and the other is for music (I do
>> keep about 128MB of music on the Toshiba card as well).
>>
>> As to loading music into main memory, I don't think it would work. I
>> think the music programs automatically look for a SD card.
>>
>> As to buying a card, I would strongly recommend that you do so. The
>> fastest way to backup your Palm main memory is to an SD card. You can
>> be away from a computer and still be backed up in the event of a
>> system crash. When I travel, I take the cards out of the machine and
>> case and stick them in my wallet so that if the machine gets lost or
>> stolen, I can just walk into a Office Depot buy a new Palm restore
>> from the SD backup and be on my way.
>>
> What SW do you use for backing up? Do you have a small program
> installed on the cards?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 3, 2004 5:15:38 AM

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:25:00 -0700, "Todd Shillam"
<tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Look at BackupBuddyVFS. ......
>>
>> I can give a good recommendation on BackupBuddyVFS as
>> well. I use it and BackupMan. They both give error-free
>> restores to my SJ30. I tend to lean toward BackupMan only
>> because of the ability to have multiple backups (I don't
>> think BackupBuddyVFS will do that from what I can tell).
>> Other than that, they seem about equal in reliability.
>> Here is the BackupBuddyVFS developer's website...
>>
>> http://www.bluenomad.com/
>
>Krewl,
>
>BackupBuddy v2 for Windows has a new feature called 'ZoomBack' --it saves restore points so-to-speak
>for each backup performed on a computer.

Gotcha...sounds good. Will have to check it out. I am still using
version 1.52.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 3, 2004 8:41:42 PM

Laurens <spam@block.com> wrote in message news:<cc4bg5$h9e$1@reader13.wxs.nl>...

> PocketTunes can play audio files from RAM:
> http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettunes/docs/readme.htm...
>

> Regards
> -Laurens

Thank you very much, Laurens ! That worked very nicely indeed ! And
indeed the Windows MediaPlayer integration makes it very easy to
manage and upload music at a very fast speed to the Palm TT3's main
RAM. Thanks again !

Of course, I could only load 6-7 good quality mp3's in the main
memory, making it even more obvious why acquiring an expasion card is
a definite must !

But in the meantime I can enjoy a player that comes yet with a
seemingly quite comfortable set of features !

I'll have to evaluate if I'd not rather put the few bucks for
PocketTunes in the memory expansion card... and use the RealOne player
already included in my package...

How does the RealOne player on the Palm do its job ?

Regards,

Arnie
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 3, 2004 9:15:03 PM

"Todd Shillam" <tshillam_notebook@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Sb-dnQ25hZt9Z3jdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...

> I'll cover your questions by number--like you posted.

Thanks, Todd, very friendly of yours !

> (1) It is considered 3-in-1 for the following features:
>
> 1. Sync
> 2. Recharge
> 3. Card reader
>
> You grouped the first two items in your post as one feature.

Okay !

> (2) Yes--you can use the cable without the Palm attached. You don't even need to own a Palm to use
> the cable's card reader. As for USB 2.0 compliant--not sure there--you'll have to look at the specs
> (however, I don't think you can write to an SD or MMC at 480Mbps (USB 2.0 speed) using any
> reader--the cards don't support that speed as far as I'm aware). As for the form factor, I actually
> like the cable better.

I understand and agree with you.

> (3) Use the Card Export program--you can actually leave the memory card in the Palm; meanwhile, with
> your Palm is attached to a Windows computer using the cable, this program mounts a drive to your
> Palm's card in Windows Explorer--you can actually drag and drop files directly onto the Palm's
> memory card this way--I do this all the time. As a matter of fact, I can host web sites on my Palm's
> memory card if I wanted to.

Now it seems that is exactly what I was looking for (drive mount, drag
and drop etc)!
By the way, would Card Export also be capable to mount the drive when
the Palm is in the craddle (in a way, that is also a USn connection to
this device) ?
If this turns out to be the case, wouldn't you agree that the 3-in-1
sync cable would have as only benefit left the "road
warrior"portability over the craddle?

> (4) Using the 3-in-1 sync cable I can charge my handheld and synchronize it whereas you can't do
> that with a reader. I can also use the cable to connect my Palm to the Internet, check e-mail, etc
> by using a program developed by Softick, called PPP. I use Softick PPP, the 3-in-1 sync cable, and
> Pocket Tunes Deluxe to listed the SHOUTcast streaming music on my Palm--works like a charm! Try to
> do that with a plain old card reader.

I clearly see where the sync cable adds a difference indeed, thanks
again for the detailed clarifications :-)

That PocketTunes hint is a fabulous one (also given by Laurens here
under) that I already activated on my TT3, as it works *also* with
main RAM ! Actually I'm listening to a few mp3's from it just right
now, really cool and good quality!!

Is this shoutcats feature available in the two weeks evaluation mode ?
The dowloaded software didn't offer me the option to choose between
Basic and Deluxe, there was only one d/l possible.

By the way, did you find that PocketTunes was superior enough to the
TT3 built-in RealOne player to deserve purhcasing this dedicated
player (I must confess it comes with very custom and comfortable
features, but I couldn't get the RealOne Player working as it expects
the memory expansion card first...) ?

> (5) Forget the 512MB cards right now--they are too new--they cost too much. Try a 256MB card--they
> are much cheaper. I just bought a couple Kingston 256MB cards for 37 bucks each after mail-in
> rebate. However today as a matter of fact, I saw a Dane-Elec 256MB card for 29 bucks in
> TigerDirect.com's mail-order catalog that I got today (that's after mail-in rebate of course).
> Finally, the difference between Multimedia and SD cards--the SD cards have a little sliding clip
> (works like a floppy disk) that help prevent overwriting data if you want to do that. I've always
> bought the SD cards--just keep it simple.

Okay, I'll go for a 256MB -- the prices you give are very attractive
compared to here in Europe, not even mentioning that we don't have
that mail-in rebate system which applies to US residents only from
what I know.

Thanks a million again for your explanation.
!