875p + sata + raid0 = which drives?

Bolloxim

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I am putting together a new system over then next month, the question of drives is now my only ununswered question. The 875 chipset is native sata150 raid0 too all built into it... now I am a complete fan of the WD range, having 80+120 configurations on our workstations, not raided though. The system I'm putting together is for home, so I have no problems with the data risk of a raid0 environment. Though WD's only SATA drive is the raptor which is only 36gb.. ??? The only other alternative is the 80gb baracuda from seagate..

now the raptor review didnt compete with any other SATA, only scsii..

so my question is this, are they any other solutions for SATA out there, and what are they ( I read message about a phantom maxtor drive ), Also does anyone know if there are any new forth coming SATA drives coming ? especially from WD, in the next month or so..

lastly when is THG going to a SATA drive comparison :)

thanks

bollo

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
You won't see any other new SATA drives from WD in the next month or so. :(
Raptor was designed for the server market, and I think WD hasn't anounced when SATA drives for the desktop application will be available.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Seagate has their 80 GIG and 120 GIG Barracuda V, and they are true SATA. In fact, those are really the <i>only</i> drives you can find (other than the Raptor) for SATA. I'm running two 120 GIG Cudas on my 8KNXP and they're great.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 05/21/03 03:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Maxtor have also released their Diamond Max 9 line with a SATA interface. Those drives should be 80Gb platter drives now (earlier models used 60 or 70Gb platters) and they perform pretty damm good.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the raptor IS available online, if www.storagereview.com is to be believed.
One of their sponsors has it.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
It appears that some Maxtor serial ATA drives are available at <A HREF="http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=FG&item=34489" target="_new">AxionTech</A>.

Bolloxim

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Perhaps we can see from THG a comparison of SATA drives under raid0 configuration for the 875p chipset ?

I'd love to see how the limited number of SATA drives would compete and considering its native to a lot of the boards, its probably a logic step when mounting drives to new systems

how about it thg ? :)

bollo

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Yeah, with plenty of benchmarks. And a step-by-step guide to setting up the Serial ATA drives, both RAID and non-RAID, with canterwood motherboards.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
That would actually be very nice, since the integrated RAID seems to be poorly documented--at least on my 8KNXP it is.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

TRENDING THREADS