e-mu 0404 on Linux?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 23, 2005 9:31:44 PM

Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
to have basic audio capability.

Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
Thanks.

More about : 0404 linux

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:20:30 AM

"Darren Best" <darren@sweetums.ca> wrote in message
> Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
> supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
> audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
> I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
> to have basic audio capability.
>
> Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
> Thanks.

No. You can check the ALSA site or google a query. But there is no support.

jb
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:29:09 PM

Reconsider and get a m-audio card. The Emu drivers are terrible and you
probably will have nothing but trouble with them. Some people get lucky, I
didn't. In addition it does not play nicely with Sound Blasters or any
other audio card.

CA

"Darren Best" <darren@sweetums.ca> wrote in message
> Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
> supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
> audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
> I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
> to have basic audio capability.
>
> Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
> Thanks.
April 24, 2005 6:39:51 PM

"reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3LadnUTbiPQRb_ffRVn-rQ@adelphia.com>...
> "Darren Best" <darren@sweetums.ca> wrote in message
> > Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
> > supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
> > audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
> > I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
> > to have basic audio capability.
> >
> > Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
> > Thanks.
>
> No. You can check the ALSA site or google a query. But there is no support.
>
> jb

I had already searched alsa-project.org, there are no E-mu cards
listed at all. I didn't know if this was an oversight, or if they
just didn't bother listing anything that isn't supported. It's a
popular card, after all: I figured that they would at least list the
card as unsupported, rather than just ignore it.

Thanks for the info. Is this personal experience, or where did you
find out that there is no support? Is it being worked on by any
project?
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:44:26 PM

Thanks Cary. I assume you're recommending the Audiophile 2496?
Pretty much the same price range, but I was hoping that I could take
advantage of the 0404's DSP, as well as the better input jacks.

Same question: where did you read about these experiences with 0404
and Linux. I've searched Usenet with no luck. Googleing the Net
turned up no useful links. Thanks for the input.

Darren

"Cary" <ladewd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<V2Oae.12531$JB.11022@tornado.socal.rr.com>...
> Reconsider and get a m-audio card. The Emu drivers are terrible and you
> probably will have nothing but trouble with them. Some people get lucky, I
> didn't. In addition it does not play nicely with Sound Blasters or any
> other audio card.
>
> CA
>
> "Darren Best" <darren@sweetums.ca> wrote in message
> > Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
> > supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
> > audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
> > I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
> > to have basic audio capability.
> >
> > Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
> > Thanks.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:28:02 AM

I have a 1820m. Its all they can do to get the PC drivers right. So far no
support for Linux or OSX. I was thinking of any m-audio card. I have 2
PC's one has the emu the other a 24/96. As far as stability goes there's no
contest. M-audio wins out. As far as audio quality, emu is better. Good
audio quality means nothing if your computer crashes every hour or so. Here
is a link to the Emu forum, read up and you will see that you will be taking
a chance if you purchase one.

http://www.productionforums.com/emu/

CA

> Thanks Cary. I assume you're recommending the Audiophile 2496?
> Pretty much the same price range, but I was hoping that I could take
> advantage of the 0404's DSP, as well as the better input jacks.
>
> Same question: where did you read about these experiences with 0404
> and Linux. I've searched Usenet with no luck. Googleing the Net
> turned up no useful links. Thanks for the input.
>
> Darren
>
> "Cary" <ladewd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Reconsider and get a m-audio card. The Emu drivers are terrible and you
>> probably will have nothing but trouble with them. Some people get lucky,
>> didn't. In addition it does not play nicely with Sound Blasters or any
>> other audio card.
>>
>> CA
>>
>> "Darren Best" <darren@sweetums.ca> wrote in message
>> > Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
>> > supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
>> > audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
>> > I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
>> > to have basic audio capability.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
>> > Thanks.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:22:34 PM

Darren Best wrote:
> Haven't had any success finding out if the 0404 card is or is not
> supported (in any way) under Linux. I'm planning to conduct all of my
> audio recording under Windows XP, but I also dual-boot to Linux, and
> I'd really rather not have to leave my old SB Live in my machine just
> to have basic audio capability.
>
> Does anyone know (a confirmed yes or no) if Linux supports this card?
> Thanks.

You could also consider VM-ware and/or WINE? If you don't know, VM-ware
allows you to be running Windows-XP but boot a Linux system from a
separate partition. That way you can do all the audio twiddling in
Linux and playback in XP.

WINE is the Linux solution. You boot into linux and see if wine can
run your XP audio application.

April 13, 2009 11:32:29 AM

works with fresh versions of alsa as a charm!

Using it with ubuntu, almost completely got rid of pulseaudio, and switched to jack. sound is silky smooth and nice!

The only trick is to set jack realtime priority (works even with usual kernel) and shaped dither to 48k sample rate.