Ebay: be an audio pro for only $39.99!

Last response: in Home Audio
April 24, 2005 10:55:23 AM

The seller says:

"This is the end all, be all accessory for the home studio. This
single item will launch your amateur operation into professional mode."

This guy's *confident* I tell ya! He goes so far as to suggest we do a
"goggle" search to prove his ecstatic claims.

(Goggles?...We don't need no stinkin' goggles...)

This little slice of pro audio heaven can be seen at:

Ted Spencer, NYC

More about : ebay audio pro

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:52:13 PM

<<When's the last time
you bought a pro audio product that included a little potato?>>

Just because it's never been done before doesn't make it any less
brilliant... : )

(...suddenly, magically, a whole world of pro audio/grocery item
marketing associations springs up in our imagination...)

(...nah...)

Ted Spencer, NYC
April 24, 2005 4:06:39 PM

In article <1114350923.347437.140210@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
prestokid@aol.com wrote:

> The seller says:
>
> "This is the end all, be all accessory for the home studio. This
> single item will launch your amateur operation into professional mode."
>
> This guy's *confident* I tell ya! He goes so far as to suggest we do a
> "goggle" search to prove his ecstatic claims.
>
> (Goggles?...We don't need no stinkin' goggles...)
>
> This little slice of pro audio heaven can be seen at:

> Ted Spencer, NYC

What's really amazing is the way he's taken a $10 desk light, removed the
reflector and the wire, attached a mic adapter, and quadrupled the price.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

"Jedd Haas" wrote ...
> What's really amazing is the way he's taken a $10 desk light,
> removed the reflector and the wire, attached a mic adapter,
> and quadrupled the price.

Not unless he lives in China. They are clearly labeled as made
in China and his eBay location claims to be LA. Also, he is selling
them with both the regular (light) springs, and the heavy springs
for heavier mics.

Actually I was looking for just such a mic arm for occasional use
and I haven't seen anything else that looks as good that at the price.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:13:34 PM

> "Jedd Haas" wrote ...
> > What's really amazing is the way he's taken a $10 desk light,
> > removed the reflector and the wire, attached a mic adapter,
> > and quadrupled the price.
>
> Not unless he lives in China. They are clearly labeled as made
> in China and his eBay location claims to be LA. Also, he is selling
> them with both the regular (light) springs, and the heavy springs
> for heavier mics.
>
> Actually I was looking for just such a mic arm for occasional use
> and I haven't seen anything else that looks as good that at the price.

I made one once, from a broken lamp I found and 2$ worth of stuff from the
hardware store. If I were evil, I could throw in some extra springs, stick
it in a bag next to a box that said 'made in china' and sell it for 40
bucks.

jb
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:53:09 PM

<prestokid@aol.com> wrote:

> The seller says:
>
> "This is the end all, be all accessory for the home studio. This
> single item will launch your amateur operation into professional
> mode."
>
> This guy's *confident* I tell ya! He goes so far as to suggest we do
> a "goggle" search to prove his ecstatic claims.
>
> (Goggles?...We don't need no stinkin' goggles...)
>
> This little slice of pro audio heaven can be seen at:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> Ted Spencer, NYC

According to the listing, it features a 5/8" spud. When's the last time
you bought a pro audio product that included a little potato?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:53:10 PM

In article <ppOae.2132$tg1.1726@edtnps84> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> > "This is the end all, be all accessory for the home studio. This
> > single item will launch your amateur operation into professional
> > mode."

OK, it's an overhead swing arm to support a microhone, the kind you
see over the announcer or DJ's desk at a radio station. There are
name-brand products like this. I wonder why he didn't provide the
manufacturer's name. I guess someone's making a knock-off in China
now. The thing that makes a "pro" one pro is that the joints don't
wear out in a year.

I suppose if you're a professinoal radio announcer, it might be the
one important thing missing from your career toolkit. Also great for
mounting a talkback mic without one of those pesky desk stands getting
in the way. Clamps right on to your M-Box? I doubt it.

April 24, 2005 8:08:46 PM

On 4/24/05 11:52 AM, in article
1114357933.494492.291990@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "prestokid@aol.com"
<prestokid@aol.com> wrote:

> <<When's the last time
> you bought a pro audio product that included a little potato?>>

Ok, I need to know, are the $1.60/lb russets the way to go here or should I
just get the medium Idaho browns? Also, should I spring for the organics
since a lot of what I do is recording bluegrass?

Anyone rememeber the movie ROADIE ...?

> Just because it's never been done before doesn't make it any less
> brilliant... : )
>
> (...suddenly, magically, a whole world of pro audio/grocery item
> marketing associations springs up in our imagination...)
>
> (...nah...)
>
> Ted Spencer, NYC

Ted... No coffee spray this am but THANKS for the picture...
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:34:28 PM

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

> According to the listing, it features a 5/8" spud. When's the last time
> you bought a pro audio product that included a little potato?

Maybe it's a typo and he meant to say "pud".

--
ha
Anonymous

Canford Audio UK once *used* to sell these modified Anglepoise lamp
brackets/arms with mic hardware stud, + a G-clamped foot with a nylon-lined
socket for arm rotation.
Most studios used them. They were about $35 each ten years ago.
Why they were discontinued I don't know.

> "Jedd Haas" wrote ...
>> What's really amazing is the way he's taken a $10 desk light, removed the
>> reflector and the wire, attached a mic adapter, and quadrupled the price.
>
> Not unless he lives in China. They are clearly labeled as made in China
> and his eBay location claims to be LA. Also, he is selling them with both
> the regular (light) springs, and the heavy springs for heavier mics.
> Actually I was looking for just such a mic arm for occasional use
> and I haven't seen anything else that looks as good that at the price.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:36:50 PM

Where did you find the mic mount hardware?

On a scale of 1=[POS] to 10=[made by someone who's in the
business of making them], what would you say your cobble
factor was?

I've thought about making one or several of those from the
several of that kind of lamp around here, but can't seem to
find the mic mount hardware. At my hourly rate, machining my
own would put me past the cost of buying a case of them.

TM

reddred wrote:

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
> > "Jedd Haas" wrote ...
> > > What's really amazing is the way he's taken a $10 desk light,
> > > removed the reflector and the wire, attached a mic adapter,
> > > and quadrupled the price.

> I made one once, from a broken lamp I found and 2$ worth of stuff from the
> hardware store.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:36:51 PM

T Maki <tmaki@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I've thought about making one or several of those from the
>several of that kind of lamp around here, but can't seem to
>find the mic mount hardware. At my hourly rate, machining my
>own would put me past the cost of buying a case of them.

Black Audio Devices used to sell a wide variety of such fittings. They
are shutting down now, so you may find some for cheap.

MSC has 5/8-27 dies for less than ten bucks each..... get one and the cost
of machining your own goes way down.
--scott
April 24, 2005 11:21:11 PM

In article <1gviqix.1b04ob31p3em8pN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> Maybe it's a typo and he meant to say "pud".

I think he meant "stud" but didn't know the word.

April 25, 2005 12:12:04 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Clamps right on to your M-Box? I doubt it.

Might work with the new Joe Cocker Air Mic, which would help support the
arm and the M_Box. Watch also for his upcoming Air DI.

--
ha
Anonymous

"T Maki" <tmaki@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Where did you find the mic mount hardware?

At the end of a cheap Radio *hack desktop mic stand. I have a friend who has
some really nice tools and we had some fun.

> On a scale of 1=[POS] to 10=[made by someone who's in the
> business of making them], what would you say your cobble
> factor was?

Probably a 6. Primed and painted, it looked alright, but it wasn't going to
fool anyone.

> I've thought about making one or several of those from the
> several of that kind of lamp around here, but can't seem to
> find the mic mount hardware. At my hourly rate, machining my
> own would put me past the cost of buying a case of them.

Or not. It was actually kind of cumbersome for me, it was always sticking
up. I've gone back to a light mic stand with a boom, it's much easier to
move around or tuck away altogether if necessary.

jb
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:12:21 AM

More specifically, he claims "It features a 5/8 threaded spud". I'm
wondering how he mounts the potato on the lathe. Maybe he has to freeze
it in liquid nitrogen first? Or maybe he means "threaded" like as in a
pendant. So that's what's missing from my professional career: a
necklace with a potato hanging from it!

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:35:28 PM

Karl Winkler wrote:

> So that's what's missing from my professional career: a
> necklace with a potato hanging from it!

I be lookin' for that, Karl, at the next AES.

Are Chinese taters cheaper?

--
ha
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:35:28 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>Are Chinese taters cheaper?

The ones that look just like Idaho taters are, but the consistency is
questionable. However, for a little more money, the SpudRoom will
match a pair for you.

====================
Tracy Wintermute
arrgh@greenapple.com
Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:31:07 PM

On 26 Apr 2005 07:12:21 -0700, "Karl Winkler"
<karlwinkler66@yahoo.com> wrote:

>More specifically, he claims "It features a 5/8 threaded spud". I'm
>wondering how he mounts the potato on the lathe. Maybe he has to freeze
>it in liquid nitrogen first? Or maybe he means "threaded" like as in a
>pendant. So that's what's missing from my professional career: a
>necklace with a potato hanging from it!
>
>Karl Winkler
>Lectrosonics, Inc.
>http://www.lectrosonics.com

Or maybe it's a regional dialect thing, which, around here we call
them 'shoestring potatoes' instead of 'threaded spuds'. Perhaps
'threaded' is even smaller than 'shoestring'....

Tracy Wintermute
arrgh@greenapple.com
Rushcreek Ranch
!