dvd regional setting limit question.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
what's up with this? personally, i would never need anything besides north america, but it seems like everytime i do something to windows i have to reselect NorthAmerica. It claims that its basically a paper weight after the 5th time. UM, so are there ways around this (software?) or after the 5th time its a dead drive?

WHY THE FREAKING HECK WOULD they inhearently program a termination code into dvd players? wtf is going on? who the heck cares if i change my region every night because i'm watching alot of dvd's from around the world or something?...someone please clue me in.

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
The termination code (or DVD region code) implemented by the manufacturers of DVD drives is an unfortunate result of pressure given by movies companies. There're groups of people in this world who have the same feeling as you regarding the stupid DVD regions thing. And they're nice enough to give away free software to overcome the problem.

One way to workaround this problem is to flash the firmware of your DVD drive to make it region-free, and then install some region-killer software to prevent Windows from decreasing the counter. Perhaps you should tell us what DVD drive you have and what software you use to play DVD's. Then I can show you exactly what to do.

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Basically, the majority of the population has to deal with this kind of digital rights "protection" crap because of the few individuals that actually abuse it. The people that steal movies, music, software, etc. are going to steal no matter what kind of protection is used. However, the large companies continue to spend large amounts of money to make the average user's life a living hell when it comes to this sort of junk. We have to pay more for products because of the money being spent on anti-piracy protection and then there are so many rules and regulations once we acutally own the products. Don't get me wrong, I am against the pirates across the world that make mass copies ofprograms, cds, etc. and sell them illegaly. That's just plain wrong and should be dealt with. However, end users should have the right to make copies of their DVDs for their own use, or play movies from ANY region. We've been doing it with VHS tapes and cassettes for years. Why is it any different now?

I am not sure if that answered your question... but I got to let out some steam. I feel much better now :)

- Daniel (daniel1113@attbi.com)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I finally caught on with a Lite-On combo drive and found that it will be locked after 5 changes in regions. The thing is I have a Pioneer home theater system which plays all regions no probs and I have tons of DVDs from all over the world, I am into world cinemas.

Could someone tell me if it is possible to unlock the region thing for the drive? Some said DVD region-free software is not able to do the job.

I dont understand why they did this if I could have a all region home theater but not a all region DVD rom.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Yes, but it's not a good thing to post on these boards. Do a Google search for "DVD region free software."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Start with <A HREF="http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php" target="_new">the Firmware Page</A>. You may find :wink: what you are looking for.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>