pppoe, MN 700, dropping connection

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 1, 2004 10:38:09 AM

When I dont turn my connection off for a long period of
time my pppoe ( SBC Yahoo DSL) will drop. The only way to
fix it is to unplug my router and plug it back in and
then it logs back on. I have all the updated firmware and
turned IEEE 802.1x authentication off like the site said.
Still nothing. Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 10:59:54 AM

Make sure you're following the proper instructions as outline in the
Knowledge Base article 810965 (
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810965&Product=MSbbn
):

- SYMPTOMS
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is SBC, Yahoo, or Ameritech, and you
install one of the Microsoft base stations that are listed at the beginning
of this article, but you cannot connect to the Internet.
- CAUSE
This issue may occur when the Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)
settings are not configured correctly.
- RESOLUTION
If the connection is PPPoE, you must type your user name in the form user
name@ameritec.net or user name@sbcglobal.net.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Dom" <dom80@wayne.edu> wrote in message
> When I dont turn my connection off for a long period of
> time my pppoe ( SBC Yahoo DSL) will drop. The only way to
> fix it is to unplug my router and plug it back in and
> then it logs back on. I have all the updated firmware and
> turned IEEE 802.1x authentication off like the site said.
> Still nothing. Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 11:48:12 AM

thats not the issue but thanks. my pppoe settings are
fine, in that I can log on to the internet fine. when I
log myself off the computer, and log back on I connect
just fine. The issue is, say if I'm downloding a large
file that will take a several hours. If I look at the
status after 3 hours, I am not connected to the internet.
The base station is trying to log on but it wont. I have
to unplug the base station and plug it back in, wait for
the lights to turn green and I'm back on. I'm not going
to just "deal" with this issue, and I'd hate to switch to
Linksys. There has to be a resolution.
us;810965&Product=MSbbn
> ):
>
>- SYMPTOMS
>Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is SBC, Yahoo, or
Ameritech, and you
>install one of the Microsoft base stations that are
listed at the beginning
>of this article, but you cannot connect to the Internet.
>- CAUSE
>This issue may occur when the Point-to-Point Protocol
over Ethernet (PPPoE)
>settings are not configured correctly.
>- RESOLUTION
>If the connection is PPPoE, you must type your user name
in the form user
>name@ameritec.net or user name@sbcglobal.net.
>--
>Chris H.
>Microsoft Windows MVP
>Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>Associate Expert
>

>"Dom" <dom80@wayne.edu> wrote in message
>> When I dont turn my connection off for a long period of
>> time my pppoe ( SBC Yahoo DSL) will drop. The only way
>> fix it is to unplug my router and plug it back in and
>> then it logs back on. I have all the updated firmware
and
>> turned IEEE 802.1x authentication off like the site
said.
>> Still nothing. Any ideas?
>

>.

June 1, 2004 12:07:44 PM

I'd suggest you call the support number in the User's Guide, and make sure
to get a report number on the issue.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> thats not the issue but thanks. my pppoe settings are
> fine, in that I can log on to the internet fine. when I
> log myself off the computer, and log back on I connect
> just fine. The issue is, say if I'm downloding a large
> file that will take a several hours. If I look at the
> status after 3 hours, I am not connected to the internet.
> The base station is trying to log on but it wont. I have
> to unplug the base station and plug it back in, wait for
> the lights to turn green and I'm back on. I'm not going
> to just "deal" with this issue, and I'd hate to switch to
> Linksys. There has to be a resolution.

June 1, 2004 12:36:43 PM

Instead of unplugging the MN-700 & plugging it back in, when the problem
happens browse to http://192.168.2.1 and check the base station log. I
bet you will see a PADT. If that is the case you will need to enable
the auto disconnect feature by setting it to an amount like 500 & enable
the auto reconnect

Dom wrote:
> When I dont turn my connection off for a long period of
> time my pppoe ( SBC Yahoo DSL) will drop. The only way to
> fix it is to unplug my router and plug it back in and
> then it logs back on. I have all the updated firmware and
> turned IEEE 802.1x authentication off like the site said.
> Still nothing. Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 6:21:20 PM

I did see the PADT in my log. What does that mean? Also,
I set my idle time to 180 min w/ auto reconnect. It
worked once (the first 3 hours), but it must have died
before it could go another three hours and reconnect. I'm
going to try 90 min and see how long it goes. Why do I
have to do this?

June 2, 2004 8:38:09 PM

Your ISP terminated your PPPoE connection. So you are going to need to
set an "Maximum idle time" feature. (I'm not sure of the exact procedure
on the MN-700 as I have a MN-500 which has a different Web interface.)
On the MN-100 & MN-500 it is measured in seconds I'm not sure about the
MN-700. So the 500 I mentioned would be about
8.3333333333333333333333333333333 Min.

THe PADT is sent by you ISP to save them money because an open Internet
connection costs them money & since it isn't being used they feel like
they can terminate the connection. Most likely in the agreement you
have with them they have permission to do this.

Also make sure the Router is set to use Auto reconnect when you use the
"Maximum idle time" feature or whatever they call it in the MN-700 web
interface.

!