Need $100 advice

Last response: in Home Audio
April 26, 2005 12:33:59 AM

Hi folks:

Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list here,
I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
never actually bought anything from them before, although they have plagued
me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that cost
about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few things
I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball Tele
with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they don't
carry the RNC.

So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?
Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
really like the one I have)? Or what?

Peace,
Paul

More about : 100 advice

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:34:00 AM

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
> here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
> plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
> cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
> things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
> Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
> don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
> Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Get an MXL 990 microphone. Their price, $69. Comes with a fairly nice
shock mount and a case. If you don't like the mic, throw it away and keep
the shock mount. ;-)

Steve King
April 26, 2005 12:34:00 AM

Maybe stock up on expendables/accessories like :
guitar - strings, picks, polish
drum - heads, sticks, polish
cables - mic, instrument, word clock, midi, etc
adapters - get a whole pile of cable adapters that you think you'll never
use ( but will someday )
media - CDRs etc

Cheap mics like someone else mentioned. The AT2020 is $99

One ( or several ) pair of headphones for talent etc

How about a little 'black box' problem solver, here's a list :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4641
( check out the Shure A15TG tone generator in that list for $89 )

A cheap DI or three or one nice one?

Have fun!
--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
> here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
> plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
> cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
> things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
> Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
> don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
> Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:34:00 AM

Paul Stamler <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?
>Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
>really like the one I have)? Or what?

The N/D 468 that was discussed in an earlier thread.

And the Oktava ML52 ribbon, which comes in around $200 but can be hacked up
to make a surprisingly nice mike.
--scott

April 26, 2005 1:07:56 AM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?

Check out this guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/det...
They are very inexpensive, but are generally setup really nicely.

Or get these inexpensive speakers to make up a non serious 5.1 system.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail...

There are others...just search by price and you will find a gazillion things of
various uses.

PapaNate
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:27:13 AM

They might be able to order the RNC.

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
> here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
> plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
> cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
> things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
> Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
> don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
> Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:07:43 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:33:59 +0000, Paul Stamler wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
> here, I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend.
> I've never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
> plagued me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something
> that cost about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were
> a few things I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or
> that oddball Tele with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't
> around $100, and I can't afford to spend much right now, having just done
> taxes. And they don't carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
> Friend? Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter
> (because I really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Stompboxes? If you like wahs (and don't already have one you like), check
out the Budda at about $170. It ain't a Teese, but at the price it sounds
really good IMO.

If all else fails, MF is pretty competitive on strings & such. Seven
3-packs of D'Addario phosphor bronze would get you there. Six, if
they'll let you cover shipping with part of the gift certificate. (I
realize not everyone buys strings by the boatload like I do. It's a habit
from back when you had to get them at the local music store & they were
way cheaper if you ordered several cases.)

BTW what's your favorite phase shifter, if you don't mind my asking?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:48:44 AM

How about re-tubing your fav guitar amp?

JP

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:58:08 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:33:59 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>Hi folks:

>So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?
>Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
>really like the one I have)? Or what?

The Blue Ball? $99...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=mics/search...

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:00:51 AM

A bag of OnStage mic stands? I have 24 of them and they've worked great.
Of course, I have a ton of Altec and KMD here in the studio, so the OnStage
actually end up on stage. But for $99 6 stands with booms and a carry case
isn't bad.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:06:01 AM

Actually, you are correct. These guitars made everyone else start having to
pay attention to their entry line guitars, and even then most manufacturers
can't meet the price point for the quality. I ended up buying an Ibanez 335
copy because of the Oscar Schmidt guitars and with full binding even on the
F-holes, it's a great purchase at whatever I paid for it.

But I didn't end up with the Oscar Schmidt even though it started the whole
thing. As an almost freebie, it's probably good enough to fool with.

--

"Papanate" <nospamagain@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Paul Stamler wrote:
>
> > So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> > Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because
> > really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Check out this guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/det...
> They are very inexpensive, but are generally setup really nicely.
>
> Or get these inexpensive speakers to make up a non serious 5.1 system.
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail...
>
> There are others...just search by price and you will find a gazillion
things of
> various uses.
>
> PapaNate

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:09:54 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:40:09 -0400, Steve King wrote
(in article <Qq-dnb9RrocGyPDfRVn-ow@comcast.com>):

> "Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
>> here,
>> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
>> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
>> plagued
>> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
>> cost
>> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
>> things
>> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
>> Tele
>> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
>> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
>> don't
>> carry the RNC.
>>
>> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
>> Friend?
>> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
>> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>>
>> Peace,
>> Paul
>>

> Get an MXL 990 microphone. Their price, $69. Comes with a fairly nice
> shock mount and a case. If you don't like the mic, throw it away and keep
> the shock mount. ;-)
>
> Steve King

Get an AT2020. $99

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:35:52 AM

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

You could buy a couple hundred Taiyo Yuden CDR's. They have some Quantegy
tape.

jb
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:32:27 AM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?

A-T 2020?

--
ha
Anonymous

another vote for the at2020.. or perhaps an mxl 603?

if you still cant find anything of interest, you are welcome to give it
to me... hey it could be a tax write-off? =)

nick
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:51:57 AM

Paul Stamler wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list here,
> I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend. I've
> never actually bought anything from them before, although they have plagued
> me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that cost
> about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few things
> I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball Tele
> with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and I
> can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they don't
> carry the RNC.
>
> So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?
> Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Two ECM8000, if you don't have any yet. They're good all-around
utility mics.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

This one wins my "best bet" category. For what they are, they work pretty
darned well. And there are always times that you'll be wanting a couple of
omni mics. Might even make a decent Jecklin Disc with two of them.

--

"Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message
> Paul Stamler wrote:
> > Hi folks:
> >
> > Due to circumstances simultaneously too complex and too boring to list
here,
> > I have a gift certificate in hand for $100 from...Musician's Friend.
I've
> > never actually bought anything from them before, although they have
plagued
> > me with catalogs. Anyway, I looked through the book for something that
cost
> > about $100 -- AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANTED. There were a few
things
> > I wouldn't mind having -- say, a Universal Audio preamp or that oddball
Tele
> > with humbuckers and a mahogany body -- but they weren't around $100, and
> > can't afford to spend much right now, having just done taxes. And they
don't
> > carry the RNC.
> >
> > So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> > Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because
> > really like the one I have)? Or what?
> >
> > Peace,
> > Paul
> >

> Two ECM8000, if you don't have any yet. They're good all-around
> utility mics.
>
> --
> Les Cargill
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:35:51 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:33:59 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's Friend?

Booze and hookers. If they're not in the catalog, well, how
Friendly to Musicians are they anyway?

Chris Hornbeck
"This has been an account for those who don't keep them"
J-LG, _Tout Va Bien_ 1972
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:35:52 AM

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
news:o jdr61t18n8gtrvgldtajd9rduhg7fpiji@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:33:59 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
> <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
>>Friend?
>
> Booze and hookers. If they're not in the catalog, well, how
> Friendly to Musicians are they anyway?
>
> Chris Hornbeck
> "This has been an account for those who don't keep them"
> J-LG, _Tout Va Bien_ 1972

lol

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
>A bag of OnStage mic stands? I have 24 of them and they've worked great.
> Of course, I have a ton of Altec and KMD here in the studio, so the
> OnStage
> actually end up on stage. But for $99 6 stands with booms and a carry
> case
> isn't bad.

I second that. Great stands.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:09:44 AM

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> How about a little 'black box' problem solver, here's a list :
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4641
> ( check out the Shure A15TG tone generator in that list for $89 )

I'm gettin' old...mine cost $29.95...

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:09:45 AM

> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
>
>> How about a little 'black box' problem solver, here's a list :
>> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4641
>> ( check out the Shure A15TG tone generator in that list for $89 )
>
> I'm gettin' old...mine cost $29.95...
>
> Peace,
> Paul

:-) Hey, are these useful to have around? I don't have one yet . . . . .I
had better buy one before the price triples again!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Agent 86" <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.25.22.07.36.804604@control.gov...

> BTW what's your favorite phase shifter, if you don't mind my asking?

A roto-phase 1. Orange, looks like English graphic design, made in Japan.
I'm still not quite sure how I got it, but I like it, even though the only
control is speed.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:07:45 PM

"Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
>>A bag of OnStage mic stands? I have 24 of them and they've worked great.
>> Of course, I have a ton of Altec and KMD here in the studio, so the
>> OnStage
>> actually end up on stage. But for $99 6 stands with booms and a carry
>> case
>> isn't bad.
>
> I second that. Great stands.

Well, I wouldn't call them "great" stands. I'd call them "adequate for many
uses" stands, and a great deal for the money.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:08:05 PM

Roger W. Norman <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:
>A bag of OnStage mic stands? I have 24 of them and they've worked great.
>Of course, I have a ton of Altec and KMD here in the studio, so the OnStage
>actually end up on stage. But for $99 6 stands with booms and a carry case
>isn't bad.

See, I have had nothing but trouble with those things... I think it's worth
spending the extra money for the K&M or AKG stands.
--scott

April 26, 2005 7:47:37 PM

too much man, tx for a good laugh!

JP

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> a écrit dans le message
de news:o jdr61t18n8gtrvgldtajd9rduhg7fpiji@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:33:59 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
> <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?

> Booze and hookers. If they're not in the catalog, well, how
> Friendly to Musicians are they anyway?
>
> Chris Hornbeck
> "This has been an account for those who don't keep them"
> J-LG, _Tout Va Bien_ 1972
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:06:01 PM

> >So...any ideas for a good way to spend about $100-150 at Musician's
Friend?
> >Is there a stompbox you really like that isn't a phase shifter (because I
> >really like the one I have)? Or what?
>
> The Blue Ball? $99...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=mics/search...

Ooh, a servo-balanced dynamic... eenteresting... Since the FET condensers
have come down so low in price, I was wondering when FET dynamics would
emerge. I bet its upper response has some substantial advantages over
transformer coupling, in particular the transients.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:16:31 PM

> >> How about a little 'black box' problem solver, here's a list :
> >> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4641
> >> ( check out the Shure A15TG tone generator in that list for $89 )
> >
> > I'm gettin' old...mine cost $29.95...

> :-) Hey, are these useful to have around? I don't have one yet . . . .
..I
> had better buy one before the price triples again!

It's nice for signal tracing provided you've got a mic input to plug it
into. And it's small and seems to be indestructible. Plus it uses the same
battery as the mic in my guitar, so in an emergency I can raid the Shure for
a spare.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:16:32 PM

> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

>> > I'm gettin' old...mine cost $29.95...
>

>> :-) Hey, are these useful to have around? I don't have one yet . . . .
> .I
>> had better buy one before the price triples again!
>
> It's nice for signal tracing provided you've got a mic input to plug it
> into. And it's small and seems to be indestructible. Plus it uses the same
> battery as the mic in my guitar, so in an emergency I can raid the Shure
> for
> a spare.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Thanks for the info Paul!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message

>> I second that. Great stands.
>
> Well, I wouldn't call them "great" stands. I'd call them "adequate for
> many uses" stands, and a great deal for the money.

The greatest thing about them (IMO) is the teeth that actually hold versus a
compression ring. Whoever said the teeth don't allow as precise placement
must not be using them right.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:15:49 AM

> "Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I second that. Great stands.
>>
>> Well, I wouldn't call them "great" stands. I'd call them "adequate for
>> many uses" stands, and a great deal for the money.
>>

> The greatest thing about them (IMO) is the teeth that actually hold versus
> a compression ring. Whoever said the teeth don't allow as precise
> placement must not be using them right.

You're thinking of the larger On-Stage-Stands booms. The six-for-$99 ones
don't have the teeth you're referring to, just compression rings. You have
to be very careful using them with heavy microphones.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:20:17 AM

> You're thinking of the larger On-Stage-Stands booms. The six-for-$99 ones
> don't have the teeth you're referring to, just compression rings. You
> have to be very careful using them with heavy microphones.

Ah. With the price I was assuming it was the same ones. The teethed ones are
very reasonable and come with a nice assortment of extensions also.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:01:08 PM

Oh, I'm not going to argue. I'm well aware that they aren't the cat's
pajamas of mic stands. But for $300 I have 24 stands and they are easily
packable, albeit a bit heavy for my old bones these days.

Still, I've put up a pair of MXL 990s on piano with one and it held just
fine for an entire 5 day festival. I would recommend using sand bags for
weighing down the stands for extension and heavier mics, but I've had no
serious problems with their compression clutches and such. For greater
extension I've been considering a couple of Bogen/Manfrotto stands for drum
overheads in live situations, but the OnStage can get up to almost 8 feet.

Hey, if we're talking 6 free boom stands, well, you get better than you paid
for! <g>

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
"Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message

> "Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message

> >> Well, I wouldn't call them "great" stands. I'd call them "adequate for
> >> many uses" stands, and a great deal for the money.
> >>

> > The greatest thing about them (IMO) is the teeth that actually hold
versus
> > a compression ring. Whoever said the teeth don't allow as precise
> > placement must not be using them right.
>
> You're thinking of the larger On-Stage-Stands booms. The six-for-$99 ones
> don't have the teeth you're referring to, just compression rings. You
have
> to be very careful using them with heavy microphones.
>
> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:05:49 PM

I've found the 603s pretty useful. For "found" money, that's a good use
too. I still haven't gotten up to pick up my refurbished Korg X3, but the
money's in my pocket for an AT2020 when I get there. At $99 for an AT, how
bad can it be? I may even like it better than my MXL V69G for my vocals and
that, when first out, cost me $280. Now it's peanuts. In fact, there's
another mic for the list. I believe the V69G (not the GC or Musician's
Friend product) is about $100 if it's even available any longer.

--

!