week of hell

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
so far this week my hd in my laptop died, my profile in my main comp got corupted so i reformated, my sisters computer is blue screening, for some reason im obligated to fix it. and various other software quirks that are driving me nuts. but tonight i get another problem

my mouse started periodicaly dying, plugged into the usb port it would turn off and windows would make the sound of a device being turned off. then come back for no reason, it started doing this very randomly and quickly. i switch the mouse to the ps2 port does the same thing. so changed mice, another one does the same thing. my computer eventually starts locking up, sometimes when i get to windows, somtimes durring post. i take some volt readings from a molex connector. 5 and 12.4, every thing is fine. i look at the voltage readings in my bios, 5 volt and 5volt sb are reading 4.1 and 4.3 molex is still reading 5 and 12.4. i take a reading from the usb port, i get 4.3. i assume that the psu is ok since it reads good volts from the molex, but once it gets the mobo involved, the volts get screwed. could it be a bad psu? or bad mother board? the real pisser is, when i went to switch out the mouse, i was already mad so i tugged on the cord to get it un tangled, but in doing so i pulled it against the base of my monitor and my desk cutting the cord. ruind a perfectly good mouse for nothing, now i have to buy a usb end and fix the damn thing.

system specs:
radeon 9500 pro
soyo dragon+ mobo
1700 xp
431 watt enermax

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Auburn9698

Champion
Sounds like Miller Time for you...

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3394&ppuser=663" target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
while fixing my old mouse i also got a nasty burn on my finger. stupid soldering iron...
miller time, yea, im going to get a 12 pack on the way home and get drunk in the pool. yea, that will be sweet.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could be a dying power supply or dying board. I have enough faith in Enermax and so little faith in Soyo that I'll go with the dying board as a first target in your investigation. Start looking for bulging capacitors (the tops, which should be flat).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i discovered somthing a little disconcerning tonight. i was moving a cable to get a volt reading again after putting an old card in, thinking maybe my new radeon could have somthing to do with it. i just moved the wire a little bit and my comp turned off, i let go of the wire and it turned back on. i figured that it was the atx plug that was being jarred and disconnecting from the mobo a little. the part that concerns me is upon closer inspection of the atx connector, the plastic close to the red wires (5 volt) is blackend. i took readings from all the wires on the atx plug and they are cool, seems to me the power supply is ok. now the question is what board to get? but that goes in a different section

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Come on, you know you want one....
\ /
\ /
\/

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
huh?

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Aside from the fact that THGC totally ruined to formatting job I did, click on my sig for what you want. I'm vainly trying to tempt you to the dark side...

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
are you offering to sell me somthing?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i think what happend was one lose pin on the atx connector kept disconecting and sparking, eventually it over heated and burned the plastic. after time it got so burned it was not possible to make a good conection. i replaced the damaged pin in the atx connector and every thing seems fine now. well see though.