Sign in with
Your question

Malware blocking anti-virus usage

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2012 9:06:42 PM

I cannot access anti -virus sites nor can I install ant-virus software. I can access sites in safe mode but cannot load software. Any ideas
July 1, 2012 9:37:34 PM

Do you have access to another computer in order to download and copy Malwarebytes Free to a thumb drive?
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2012 10:19:21 PM

safe mode to backup your data then fresh install (format the drive don't just overwrite windows etc)

i never bother with cleaning out virus's/spyware/malware its a waste of time
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2012 11:17:29 PM

rkill then malwarebytes.
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 12:56:22 AM

I would suggest that you try the free version of Malwarebytes anti-virus software as it is one of the best at actually removing viruses, also try looking in your host file to see if any entries have been placed there.

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

Sometimes when you have been infected by a virus it is better to simply reinstall the operating system.
July 2, 2012 1:26:39 AM

The time to install an antivirus is before you get infected. Afterward, it's trivial for the virus to interrupt installations. If you can find out what virus you've got, you can try a targeted removal tool, but availability of those is iffy.

Best chance is probably to do a system restore or reinstall the OS. Not many viruses can infect restore points, and it's extremely rare for a virus to survive on OS reinstall. I can only think of one or two that have ever been able to do that.
July 2, 2012 12:57:33 PM

I find that system restore works, as I tried it on the Smart HDD virus and it worked, albiet damaging the boot loader, neccesitating a cmd line repair.
July 2, 2012 1:21:35 PM

use a live CD (like Linux live CD), backup the important files, then format your HDD. After that you can install fresh Windows.

Before restoring the backup, install a good antivirus first on your computer, then try to access the backup files. Scan it first for precaution.
December 15, 2012 12:25:16 PM

willard said:
The time to install an antivirus is before you get infected. Afterward, it's trivial for the virus to interrupt installations. If you can find out what virus you've got, you can try a targeted removal tool, but availability of those is iffy.

Best chance is probably to do a system restore or reinstall the OS. Not many viruses can infect restore points, and it's extremely rare for a virus to survive on OS reinstall. I can only think of one or two that have ever been able to do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i have a similar problem, i cannot access system restore, mcafee, system information.
xp
firefox
sp3

thanks
Lewis
!