Sign in with
Your question

Digital Audio Question

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2003 3:41:35 PM

Although I have S/PDIF out, it only works occasionally. For example, it works when I'm watching DVDs but there is no sound when I'm listening to music thru Windows Media Player. So when there is no sound, I switch to analog. Does the source have to be AC3 or pure digital to be able to go thru S/PDIF? Or am I just having a weird problem?

More about : digital audio question

May 26, 2003 3:35:15 PM

Yes, it is enabled. Perhaps its because there isn't the option to go thru S/PDIF on Windows Media Player and it is available on my DVD Player program. Also in the volume control, S/PDIF column is greyed out for some odd reason. I have no idea why its like that. Any other ideas?
Related resources
May 27, 2003 12:26:29 AM

What DVD player you are using? Some DVD player like PowerDVD is "two channel version" which have the S/PDIF disabled and you'll have to download the audio pack.
Oh, and another important question, what sound card and the driver are you using?

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
May 27, 2003 2:02:44 PM

Quote:
What DVD player you are using?

Now I'm using MSI DVD 5.1 (Multichannel support enabled). I'm able to get Dolby Digital surround sound thru coaxial S/PDIF.

Quote:
Oh, and another important question, what sound card and the driver are you using?

Using the onboard AC'97 sound on Asus A7V8X (Realtek ALC650)with Realtek A3.43 drivers. I just noticed that A3.44 drivers got released, should I update? I'm not sure what changes there have been.
May 27, 2003 2:50:47 PM

You could try updating the driver or reinstall the old driver, if you are very sure your speaker system/mobo is in top condition then that's where the problem lies. Maybe your mobo is deffective, or speaker is defective. Do you have any chance to borrow a similar equipment to test them out?

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
May 27, 2003 2:59:39 PM

I think it may be the mobo, but if there is a problem with the sound subsystem on my mobo, then shouldn't the analog be in trouble too? I'm not getting any trouble with analog output. I'm pretty sure my speakers are fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any chance to borrow similar equipment because I live in a very small remote community. I've got the fastest computer in my little town of 1500 people, but I'm still not satisfied with the performance.

I'll be upgrading my mobo in a month or so anyway, so I can suffer thru analog until then. Thanks for your help TKH!
!