Dealing with Radio Interference?

k3391g

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
Lately, I have been experiencing some interference of some kind, and I can't think of a way to deal with it. Sometimes, my monitor screen will distort, with horizontal likes and unsteadiness similar to what a week signal produces with a TV image. At the same time, my computer systems speakers will sometimes, but not all the time, buzz and vibrate and my land line phone will produce a loud static noise. This happens even when all other electronic devices in my house are turned off.

I live near a number of military installations, so I am thinking that may be the reason for this. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This is not a major issue, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,

dhlucke

Polypheme
Try plugging your speakers into a different plug. Prefereably something on a different circuit. Same with the monitor. Do you have a good surge protector? How close to the kitchen, microwave, and other appliances are you?

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I'm having the same problems, and tried dlucke's advice, nothing. But I think it's more of a flickering problem. I don't know.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue><font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green><font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red><font color=orange>NEC Accucync 19" CRT</font color=orange><font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
How close are the speakers to the monitor? The magnets in the speakers can cause screen distortions like that. It also works the other way around, the electron gun can cause distortion in the speakers.
If you do suspect bad power then it might be worth your while to get a UPS (battery backup). They are very reasonably priced now and are a good investment into the well being of your computer.
But make sure the UPS is as far as possible from the computer and monitor just to make sure it doesn't interfere with anything. They do produce a slight magnetic interference but it is only noticable if you had it so close it is touching the monitor or computer.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>