IDE Round Cables

Ghisi

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
I´m thinking about using rounded IDE cables in my PC but, here in Brazil, these cables are very expensive. Is it possible to modify a regular, flat, IDE cable with 80 wires, to make it rounded? If so, can I separate the wires completely, or it´s better to do in pairs to preserve the electrical interference shield?

Sorry for the poor english, it´s not my native language.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you can fold the cables, i wouldnt recomend splitting an 80 pin cable. i dont know about the interference part but the fact that the wires are so freaking small is enough to make it very difficult to do it, they break easily separately.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Ghisi

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Splitting the IDE wires is not the major problem, it´s easy to do, you only need to split a little bit of the wire and then pull the two wires that you are splitting, it separetes correctly. My big question is apart the interference problem itself, can errors happen during the change of data beetween the IDE controller and the Hard Disk, or yet, it can decrease the performance?

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Click <A HREF="http://www.twistedmods.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=34" target="_new">here</A> for a guide on how to round your IDE cables.

svol

Champion
Well I've been running folded rounded cables for more then a year now on ATA100 speed and I never had problems with interference or data corruption.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: