How to compress submixes using a DAW? Invisible drum compr..

Last response: in Home Audio
April 27, 2005 5:19:49 AM

I'd like to use more compression mostly across a whole drumkit in my rock
drum mixing. At the moment I throw everything from RADAR into Cubase SX so I
can edit and organise the tracks better (e.g. cut up sections and adjust
volumes..... a sort or automation) and use my UA and Waves plugins for
compression etc.... I send the separate outs to the 32 inputs of my 02R to
mix.

What I can't achieve is the technique of invisible compression as
subgrouping a drummix with the 02R as it introduces a delay from sending the
data out and then back into the console. This introduces phasing when you
mix the dry sound and the compressed submix together. In cubase I've also
tried putting a LA2A or 1176 plugin (with my UADs for example) onto an FX
track and sending different amounts to it via Auxiliaries. I also get wierd
results. Drums come out sounding thinner and less focused... perhaps phasing
still even though SX2 has full plugin delay compensation.

I'd like to hear what you have done to accomplish this technique or similar
that is so easy to do with an analog mixer and analog compressor.

regards,

Martin
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:19:50 AM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to use more compression mostly across a whole drumkit in my rock
> drum mixing. At the moment I throw everything from RADAR into Cubase SX so
> can edit and organise the tracks better (e.g. cut up sections and adjust
> volumes..... a sort or automation) and use my UA and Waves plugins for
> compression etc.... I send the separate outs to the 32 inputs of my 02R to
> mix.
>

> What I can't achieve is the technique of invisible compression as
> subgrouping a drummix with the 02R as it introduces a delay from sending
the
> data out and then back into the console. This introduces phasing when you
> mix the dry sound and the compressed submix together. In cubase I've also
> tried putting a LA2A or 1176 plugin (with my UADs for example) onto an FX
> track and sending different amounts to it via Auxiliaries. I also get
wierd
> results. Drums come out sounding thinner and less focused... perhaps
phasing
> still even though SX2 has full plugin delay compensation.
>
> I'd like to hear what you have done to accomplish this technique or
similar
> that is so easy to do with an analog mixer and analog compressor.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

It's my understanding that mixing with the dry signal is to make pumpy
compressors less obvious, aka "invisible", but there are plenty of
compressors that aren't like that and can be used on their own without being
so apparent. You might be thinking of something else, but mixing compressed
with dry signals isn't as common as it once was.

Assuming I'm on point, just use a compressor that isn't pumpy enough to need
mixing with the dry signal. The Waves Renaissance comp is in that category.
I'd use a pumpy comp on the kick though, again without the dry mix, comp the
submix with the snare & toms, leave the overheads alone. I like to pump the
ambient mics too. But I'd never use one stereo compressor on the whole kit,
not even a multiband comp.

And I had to laugh when a friend showed me how fat the T-Racks compressor
can pump if you feed it a hot signal and turn down the output. Just a
monster for the kick.
!