i can't believe it's not butter

Last response: in Home Audio
April 26, 2005 11:38:03 PM

i was wondering if anybody knows of some famous tracks/artists who use
completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.

For example, I heard that Phil Collins likes to use an Sm-58 (I've also
heard he likes a C-12). And I understand that Bono sings his album
tracks into an Sm-58 while listening to a cranked PA stack with no
headphones.

I heard Michael McDonald uses/used an Sm-57 a lot in the studio, and I
think Bonnie Rait likes an RE-20?

I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably a
dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.

I heard the Phil Collins track "I missed again" tonight when I was
shopping and it got me thinking.

More about : butter

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:15:03 AM

micheal jackson - thriller, SM7 (now sold as SM7b)
genericaudioper...@hotmail.com wrote:
> i was wondering if anybody knows of some famous tracks/artists who
use
> completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.
>
> For example, I heard that Phil Collins likes to use an Sm-58 (I've
also
> heard he likes a C-12). And I understand that Bono sings his album
> tracks into an Sm-58 while listening to a cranked PA stack with no
> headphones.
>
> I heard Michael McDonald uses/used an Sm-57 a lot in the studio, and
> think Bonnie Rait likes an RE-20?
>
> I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably
> dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.
>
> I heard the Phil Collins track "I missed again" tonight when I was
> shopping and it got me thinking.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:17:40 AM

<davidkakon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> micheal jackson - thriller, SM7 (now sold as SM7b)

Here in Seattle, SM7's have had a surge in popularity for grung vocals.

Julian
April 27, 2005 11:11:35 AM

Julian Adamaitis wrote:
> <davidkakon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > micheal jackson - thriller, SM7 (now sold as SM7b)
>
> Here in Seattle, SM7's have had a surge in popularity for grung
vocals.

> Julian

When I worked on a Joe Cocker project many years ago I was told he used
a Sennheiser MD421 for his studio vocals. I also read (here, I think)
that Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) uses an SM57.

Ted Spencer, NYC
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:28:01 AM

genericaudioper...@hotmail.com wrote:

> i was wondering if anybody knows of some famous tracks/artists who
use
> completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.

Elton John - SM58 (in some cases)
Billy Squire - SM57

many, many, others I'm shure.

> I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably
> dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.

I guess that means all but a couple of mine are
in this category. :o <

rd
fan of "cheap" dynamic mics
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:38:47 AM

youre right

micheal jackson -> sm7> gml pre -> quincy's ears

david
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:50:59 PM

Bonnie Raitt: RE20
Mick Jagger: SM58

MJ may have used an SM7 on Thriller, but he's been using one of Bruce
Swedien's mint U47s for the last few albums. Bruce did a thing at AES a
few years ago where he played tracks with the Basie Band, Sarah Vaughn
and Michael Jackson all recorded with that same microphone. Pretty
interesting.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:22:25 PM

<prestokid> wrote:

> Julian Adamaitis wrote:
> > davidkakon wrote in message

> > > micheal jackson - thriller, SM7 (now sold as SM7b)

> > Here in Seattle, SM7's have had a surge in popularity for grung
> > vocals.

> When I worked on a Joe Cocker project many years ago I was told he used
> a Sennheiser MD421 for his studio vocals. I also read (here, I think)
> that Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) uses an SM57.

Many folks seem to think all there is to this is what they consider a
cheap mic. They forget all about the caliber of the mic preamp, maybe
having little or no experience with what happens when you plug a decent
dynamic mic into a really good preamp.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:22:25 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

><prestokid> wrote:
>
>> Julian Adamaitis wrote:

>> > Here in Seattle, SM7's have had a surge in popularity for grung
>> > vocals.
>
>> When I worked on a Joe Cocker project many years ago I was told he used
>> a Sennheiser MD421 for his studio vocals. I also read (here, I think)
>> that Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) uses an SM57.
>
>Many folks seem to think all there is to this is what they consider a
>cheap mic. They forget all about the caliber of the mic preamp, maybe
>having little or no experience with what happens when you plug a decent
>dynamic mic into a really good preamp.

It also helps if you can sing.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:06:20 PM

gml preamps have been around since the Thriller days?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:09:42 PM

didn't know about Billy Squire. Don't Say No had some great tracks on
it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:10:46 PM

also, I thought Thriller was mixed on a Harrison console. And since
dedicated outboard preamps weren't as much on the market back then, I
would have thought they would have tracked using the Harrison preamps.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:50:34 PM

genericaudioper...@hotmail.com wrote:

> didn't know about Billy Squire. Don't Say No had some great tracks
on
> it.

Billy was an 'endorser' for the 57 and featured in
advertising for the mic (mid 80's ?)

rd
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:20:53 AM

In article <1114612081.931000.137850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> annonn@juno.com writes:

> > completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.
>
> Elton John - SM58 (in some cases)
> Billy Squire - SM57
>
> many, many, others I'm shure.

One reason why experienced performers like to use the same mics in the
studio as they use on stage is because they're comfortable using those
mics. They know how to use the proximity effect and how to work the
directional pattern. An experienced engineer recognizes that it's more
important for the artist to be comfortable when singing than to put
him in front of an unfamiliar mic (or five) and futz with which one
the engineer or producer sounds best.

Some vocalists are into that sort of thing and usually don't end up
with the SM57 in the studio, but others just want to start singing
into something that works and expect the engineer to make it work. A
good engineer won't have any problem with that and he'll enjoy a
well-sung vocal that sounds as good as it needs to.

April 28, 2005 4:55:35 PM

NO. Michael Jackson to the SM7 to the GML pre to Bruce Swedien's ears.

Get it right. They did.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
> youre right
>
> micheal jackson -> sm7> gml pre -> quincy's ears
>
> david

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:04:17 PM

Zigakly wrote:

> The Blue Ball is the only FET-based dynamic I've encountered, why
> aren't there more buffering options?

Fet-based dynamic? Does this thing have an on board pre-amp?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:14:01 PM

Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
>Zigakly wrote:
>
>> The Blue Ball is the only FET-based dynamic I've encountered, why
>> aren't there more buffering options?
>
>Fet-based dynamic? Does this thing have an on board pre-amp?

It's not much of a preamp, only a few dB of gain running on phantom
power. But it's enough that the thing has a very low output impedance
and doesn't have issues dealing with cheap preamps.
--scott
April 28, 2005 11:24:41 PM

playon wrote:

>(hank alrich) wrote:

> ><prestokid> wrote:

> >> When I worked on a Joe Cocker project many years ago I was told he used
> >> a Sennheiser MD421 for his studio vocals. I also read (here, I think)
> >> that Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) uses an SM57.

> >Many folks seem to think all there is to this is what they consider a
> >cheap mic. They forget all about the caliber of the mic preamp, maybe
> >having little or no experience with what happens when you plug a decent
> >dynamic mic into a really good preamp.

> It also helps if you can sing.

Just 'cause _YOU_ don't have AutoVoice!

--
ha
Anonymous

Karl Winkler wrote:

> Bonnie Raitt: RE20

Believe that was less an artist's preference than a result of good
fortune while tracking basics. Was supposed to be the scratch vocal, but
obviously, it had everything it needed to deliver the song.

I note that with the exception of the SM58 the mics being mentioned are
not exactly the botoom of the dynamic mic price barrel. SM7, RE20, MD421
_are_ very fine mics for many things, including vox.

--
ha
Anonymous

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> i was wondering if anybody knows of some famous tracks/artists who use
> completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.
>
> For example, I heard that Phil Collins likes to use an Sm-58

LOL - you beat me to it !

That is indeed a *cheap* mic in every possible way - except for its
horrible indestructibilty !

> (I've also
> heard he likes a C-12). And I understand that Bono sings his album
> tracks into an Sm-58 while listening to a cranked PA stack with no
> headphones.
>
> I heard Michael McDonald uses/used an Sm-57 a lot in the studio, and I
> think Bonnie Rait likes an RE-20?

I thought RE-20s were meant to be good ?

> I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably a
> dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.

You're a bit touchy about your mics aren't you ?

I did once use a U87 live as a drum mic - wow was it amazing ! I couldn't
bear the thought of it getting damaged though.

> I heard the Phil Collins track "I missed again" tonight when I was
> shopping and it got me thinking.

Funny thing about *really cheap* mics like the ones we source from Taiwan
for about $8 is that they actually sound *better* than a '58. I guess
no-one has yet worked out how to make any other modern mic sound that bad ?

Or maybe it's the transformer in the '58 ? I bet it saturates with "rock 'n
roll" levels combined with proximity effect.

Graham
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:22:23 AM

> genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> Funny thing about *really cheap* mics like the ones we source from Taiwan
> for about $8 is that they actually sound *better* than a '58. I guess
> no-one has yet worked out how to make any other modern mic sound that bad
?

Yes, they have. Try a "Crate" mic some time. No, on second thought, don't.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:01:15 PM

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably
> dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.

Several on-line retailers 'list' the price of the
RE20 as $750. (although discounts are available)
Does that mean that at least one more of my
mics is not in the "cheap" category ?

rd
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:18:24 PM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i was wondering if anybody knows of some famous tracks/artists who use
> completely "cheap" mics to record their vocals in the studio.
>
> For example, I heard that Phil Collins likes to use an Sm-58 (I've also
> heard he likes a C-12). And I understand that Bono sings his album
> tracks into an Sm-58 while listening to a cranked PA stack with no
> headphones.
>
> I heard Michael McDonald uses/used an Sm-57 a lot in the studio, and I
> think Bonnie Rait likes an RE-20?
>
> I would classify a "cheap" mic as anything under $700, and preferably a
> dynamic. Bonus points for a handheld.
>
> I heard the Phil Collins track "I missed again" tonight when I was
> shopping and it got me thinking.

According to Gary Pihl, Brad Delp (Boston) uses an RE-20.
September 25, 2011 4:06:37 AM

I have worked with the Roots and they have used the SM7 a lot in the studio. I used a $30 AKG dynamic microphone (with NO preamp) to record my vocal on their song. I also used really cheap instruments, like a $120 acoustic guitar, and a bass guitar which cost about the same. Now that I can afford a Neumann U87, I do have one, and use it for almost all vocals :)
September 25, 2011 10:25:05 PM

who really wants to sound like micheal mcdonald ?or phil collins for that matter :)
!