Sign in with
Your question

Booting for firmware update

Last response: in Windows 7
July 2, 2012 2:40:52 AM

Ok, I have looked and tried but I can't get anywhere. I have to update my firmware on my OCZ Vertex 3. They insist that I boot off of another drive to update my firmware. OK. When I put in my repair disk there is no option to just run windows so I can update my firmware. The actual windows disk just has the otion to install.

I have a feeling that this s much easier than I have made it out to be. Can anyone help?
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 2:48:44 AM

voodooking said:
Ok, I have looked and tried but I can't get anywhere. I have to update my firmware on my OCZ Vertex 3. They insist that I boot off of another drive to update my firmware. OK. When I put in my repair disk there is no option to just run windows so I can update my firmware. The actual windows disk just has the otion to install.

I have a feeling that this s much easier than I have made it out to be. Can anyone help?

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
the cd has a menu that has a mini xp boot..after you make the iso to a usb stick copy over the bios update for the ssd. you should be able to run it inside the mini xp on the boot cd.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 3:00:14 AM

The Vertex 3 can be updated just fine after booting from it. Just reset your computer afterward
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 4:13:04 AM

@ smorizio - thanks for the info and it worked but the utility program from OCZ requires that I be able to log on. The program can't see my wireless network. Don't ask me what OCZ is thinking.

@ Pinhedd - The website specifically says that to only use the utility and the utility can't be used on the boot drive. Do you have experience with this drive? Will updating erase everything on the drive?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 4:34:31 AM

voodooking said:
@ smorizio - thanks for the info and it worked but the utility program from OCZ requires that I be able to log on. The program can't see my wireless network. Don't ask me what OCZ is thinking.

@ Pinhedd - The website specifically says that to only use the utility and the utility can't be used on the boot drive. Do you have experience with this drive? Will updating erase everything on the drive?

The Vertex 3 uses the Sandforce 2281 controller and most OEMs use the same sandforce firmware and sandforce firmware updater utility. OCZ may relabel the firmware version or the utility but it should be the same as those on other Sandforce controller based SSDs such as the Chronos series. I updated my Chronos Deluxe just fine while having booted from it.

Alternatively, there is a Linux based updater which works just fine from most Linux live CDs such as PartedMagic
m
l
July 2, 2012 5:03:50 PM

Are you saying that I can boot up my machine on Linux AND update the firmware on my drive then boot up normally on Windows and everything will be fine? That's legal? I thought that there was a secret commando squad that taunts people for doing things like that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 5:08:09 PM

voodooking said:
Are you saying that I can boot up my machine on Linux AND update the firmware on my drive then boot up normally on Windows and everything will be fine? That's legal? I thought that there was a secret commando squad that taunts people for doing things like that.

What? Of course its legal. Linux LiveCDs are a classic way of performing system maintenance because they allow the hard drives to remain unmounted. There's a sandforce updater for Linux and Windows, they both use the same ROM package for the firmware so just run the one that's been compiled for the operating system that you're on.
m
l
!