ddr ram questions

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I am thnking of buying some new ram. But I don't know wheter to buy pc2700 or pc 3200. I have a p4 and the mobo suports up to ddr333 with the current cpu. Can I use pc3200 anyway.
Allso wonder what the different is between Twinmos and Corsair memory. Corsair is a lot more expensive. Is that because they are faster???

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Corsair memory has a tendancy to be of a higher quality to aid in overclocking and the like...

memory, as long as it is the same class (eg sdram, ddr ram, rambus etc...) you can run faster versions at slower speeds but not usually the other way round...

ie PC3200 fine in a board running at PC2700 speeds but no chance running PC2700 memory at PC3200 speeds (unless you have some VERY special ram...)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
So. Do you know anything about Twinmos. Do they make good memory or is it worth paying twice the price for Corsair. Is the prestanda the same??

RolandC

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
To my knowledge, the Twinmos is a difficult question. do you have any visual comfirmation of these chips? if you do look for "WINBOND" on the actual chip. Winbond is often used on high grade memory such as that from Corsair and Kingston HyperX and well run fine at DDR400 at CL2. The verdict on the overclocking ability of twinmos's DDR400 Winbond chips is still out but most reviews I've read have said that Twinmos DDR333 Winbond Chips have actually been able to run at DDR420+ on CL2 and a higher vcore! I don't know about the exact stablity, I've gotten all the info at review sites, if you are still unsure, keep asking for help on other fourms! I'm sure someone would be willing to help you (hopefully :p)

The Cheapo cooling solution- open one side of your case with a fan blowing into it. Hey don't laugh man! I shaved 7C off that way! :)

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I think it's winbond but I don't really know what that means. And it says it's CL2.5 Whats the different between CL2 and CL 2.5 Is there any prestanda diff??