Dual boot?

gorbetroff

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
I have XP and have decided to do a full format job and dual boot. But, wow, I never knew there were so many different linux/unix/like os. Has anyone heard of Lycoris… is it any good or should I just get the latest version of redhat or is there a better one?

edit- no more 2nd question

Third Question, Which OS sould I load on first, I've noticed that XP has some pretty good dual boot options with it?

Fourth, about the partition. Before I just had 80% NTFS, and 20% fat32 partitions. With C: being the NTFS.
I've heard of people making a smallish fat partition as C: but loading XP and Linux to another drive (say e and m). In this case, XP copies its boot and startup files to C: but other files and folders like Windows and program files are stored on (say e). Any thoughts? How should I partition my HD?

Last Question… When a company makes a Linux driver. Will this driver work for all Linux/unix like OS’s for example Mandrake, redhat, lycoris, slackware… etc.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gorbetroff on 05/04/02 02:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
1) I've heard of Lycoris, but don't know if it's any good or not. Your best bet is latest Mandrake, Suse, or Redhat.

3 and 4) Check some previous posts...

5) Usually no. Most of the time, it's a binary driver, and needs to be compiled for a specific version of a specific distro. This is because "drivers" usually work with the Linux kernel, and different distros usually have different kernels or patches. Some are available as source code, which you can compile yourself, if your distro is not supported (nVidia is good like this).

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>