burners on RAID?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which, if any, RAID controllers will support CD-R/CD/DVD drives on their channels?
PS: I don't mean as in a RAID configuration, but as single drives.
Thanks, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 05/26/03 11:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Some RAID controllers can also function as IDE controllers, so there shouldn't be any problem connecting optical drives to their channels.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I've heard that, in general, RAID channels will not support optical drives. There's always exceptions, but I know the High Point controller on my Abit board won't support optical drives.
-Brett

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply. This is what I am looking for. I would like to hear from anyone using any brand raid controller for an optical drive (CDROM OR CDRW) in normal operation.
Thanks again,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply. So I can write off at least one model of the Highpoint series. Could you please let me know the model # of the controller on your computer, as I am considering the HPT 74 with four channels as an add on or perhaps on-board the MB on my next. Their site only lists Hard Drive support.
Thanks again,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 05/26/03 11:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sketchbag

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
No, most do not. The reason for this is the BIOS for the raid controller only controls IDE drives in ATA modes but does not have any additional ATAPI support in the code, likely due to size constraints. As you probably know, all CDROMs and other IDE devices that aren't hard disks use ATAPI. They all have the capability. If you take a promise fasttrak controller, it has support for CDROMS, but if you mod it (thanks THG) and install the RAID bios, you'll have no CDROM support.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks buddy, this is what I suspected, and am disappointed with the controllers not addressing this feature, at least with their premium flagship models. I am having a problem with Lite-On burners, as they WORK, and I like that, but they only work in my PCs (WinXP) as masters with no slaves on the same channel. So with my HD on one, and the Lite-On on the other, I can't run my fancy-dancy Kenwood Zen super DAEr on the same computer for nice Ripping. I have to say the Lite-On does pretty good itself for ripping. But I WILL survive to screw up another day.
PS: I won't slow down my HD (DMA5) to DMA2 just to run the other optical drive.
Just reread your post, and it occured to me I could get a hpt or Promise add-on controller card to run these extra optical drives. CCOOOOOOOLLLL. or DOH!
Thanks again,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 05/29/03 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, guess that about does it for me looking for a built in controller to get more optical drives going off my MB. Nice of you to take the time to check.
I'm now looking at add-on controllers (PCI) for my collection of opticals.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

TRENDING THREADS