marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is a HDD with 8mb cache worth much in the long run vs a third xtra capacity ???
80Gb with 8mb cache (WD800JB)80quid vs 120gb 2mb cache (IBM 180GXP) 85quid

Hmmm, had a look, what the heck is the difference betrween these 2 apart from one digit ???
codes: IC35L120AVV2070 85quid vs IC35L120AVV2071 90quid

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well it depends what you need it for.

If you just want capacity mostly for storage, then go the slightly slower drive with the greater capacity.

If its your boot/gaming drive then i suggest you need all the speed you can get.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, its for OS & games (matrix CnC Generals, vice city etc are eating my space)...

seems the '1' code is for the 8mb edition and rather than risk problems with 2 diff brand HDDS, I will invest in a 120GB IBM... (plus its cheaper)

ohhh, 200GB ttl... now I will need more software to install... doh, vicious circle...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
you really want to risk your data with IBM?
Im none too sure they solve the problems with the 60 & 75 GXP's...

Stick with WD, maxtor or seagate.

And i run a WD 800JB and Maxtor D740X together with no problems at all. So its ok to mix and match brands.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I've been running any combination of Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital with nary a hitch. You'll be fine mixing types. Stick with one of those three and you'll be plenty happy.
-Brett

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
have decided to risk the IBM, my 120gxp is totally sound (to-date)... besides, what important things I do have are backed up on CDRWs every-so-often... new one to main OS drive, old one to be backup & spare as needed... should be interesting :) cheers for the input... I think I wanna try a Plus9 8mb in my spare PC later in the year for comparison

(my spare PC will prob be my current one & will have a nforce2ultra+barton as my main one at the rate my upgrades seem to be going this year...)