Hard Drive and other drives not recognized

porkchopexpress

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
First time poster, long time reader, and I need your help, friends :)

I have recently purchased a P4c800 Deluxe mobo, WinXP professional, P4 2.80c, 1 gig PC 3500 Ram (Geil), a 120 gig Western Digital Hard drive, 16x DVD Reader, Dvd-r Burner, and a CD-rw drive, and I've been having a hard time getting my new mobo to recognize all four drives.

At first I only got it to recognize my hard drive and my DVD-r drive and I could see the drives in windows xp, and finally last night I got it to recognize all my drives but it crashed before xp could load, so im not sure if Windows XP would have recognized my drives or not. I think perhaps I don't have the proper IDE configuration or maybe perhaps the jumpers are not configured correctly. Im not exactly sure what should be on primary and what should be on secondary, I think what my bios says now is that Hard Drive and Dvd-R drive are primary, but im not sure about the jumper configuration I should have for those drives, and my Cd-Rw and DVD-Rom drive are secondary, and once again, im not sure how I should have the jumpers configured. I'm a PC building newbie, and this is my first build, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

So in review my question would be, how can I make both my motherboard and Windows Xp to recognize all four drives on my p4c800 deluxe mobo?

Thank you

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Storage info on your board from <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800 Deluxe&langs=09" target="_new">Asus' P4C800 specifications</A>.

<font color=red>Storage South Bridge:
2 x UltraDMA 100
2 x Serial ATA
Promise 20378 RAID controller (optional):
1 x UltraDMA 133 support two hard drives
2 x Serial ATA
RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID</font color=red>

It sounds like you're using only the Primary and Secondary IDE channels. You have two SATA channels even without the optional Promise controller - that's room for six drives, ten with the Promise controller.

With all the channels available on the P4C800 why do you have your hard drive and DVD-R on the same channel? You can use a parallel to SATA adapter on the WD hard drive - use one of the SATA channels.

DVD-R Primary IDE (set jumper to master)

DVD-ROM Secondary IDE master (set jumper to master)
CD-RW Secondary IDE slave (set jumper to slave)

Hard Drive on SATA channel w/adapter (remove jumper, master no slave)

Try to keep hard drives and optical drives off the same channel.