HELP HP won't boot Now after HD Replaced

Thorgeorge

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I hope some one can help me. I was trying to be nice working on a co workers PC An HP Pavillion 8565C /P3 500... It had a dying HD. They bought a new Maxtor. I installed it now the machine hangs on the POST. I get one POST beep. It just hangs on the last secondarie Slave Drive. It recognizes the new Max(Pri Master) it recognizes the other two drives but hangs on the last on the curser just flashing under the last letter of the last drive. I have tried to reatach all IDE cables..Nothing changed. I have checked all drive jumpers. I even reset the two CD roms from CS to Master and Slave.. Nothhing .. A friend said I should check the power supply voltage. He has had problems with them.. I haven't did that yet, I need to find my DVM... IS it an HP thing??? Or is this computer now a paper weight!! I can't get to the BIOS! I can't boot from a Floppy or any other device!!! Please some one Help...
Thank you for your time:
Thorgeorge

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
reset the bios with the jumper on your mainboard. Unplug all ide devices but the hdd you want to use. set it as master single. try booting. If it does not boot try all the rest of the jumper settings on it, sometimes they mislabel them.

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

The replacement wasn't by chance a 7200Rpm large capacity drive was it, which pulls just enough wattage, to overload the HPs pitiful P/S, what is the P/S output rating on that machine 120W, its written on the P/S somewhere, they put just enough of a P/S in those machines to cover what comes in them, any additional upgrades at all and they're overloaded, I'd be willing to bet the P/S is the problem.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Thorgeorge

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Thanks to all for their quick reply.. Yes I am trying a Maxtor 7200Rpm 40GB HD . I will check the PS Voltage. I may try to boot with the old HD and see if it goes further. If so I know that is the problem. Any suggestions, Do I replace the PS or look for a lower wattage HD? I heard that I have to get an HP power supply they are Propriatiary!!!
Thanks again!
Thorgeorge

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Yes, you are right there. I built a Compaq for my dad and I thought I had to replace the power supply also. I called Compaq and they said that only Compaq power supplies will work, they are properitery. I am pretty sure that HP would be the same way since Compaq/HP are now one. I know, there power supplies just meet the minimum. Anything added to the PC can overload the power supply. Good luck. Here is my system:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24052" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24052</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think power is your problem. HP doesn't use proprietary supplies, they use two small form factor supplies, called SFX and PS-III, which are derived from ATX and have ATX power specifications.

Good luck finding any power supplies which have larger capacity in that small form factor!

I think the problem might be the computer trying to boot from the hard drive first. You would need to get into BIOS to change that, try F keys (F1 or F2) as your most likely BIOS access keys. You would hit that key and hold it down during the blue HP logo screen. Then set to boot off CD or floppy!

Now you could have a BIOS 32GB limit! Does it come up and actually recognise the drive at full capacity?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
When the Beep is at post, the OS on the hdd has been not yet recognized. The problem is very probably into the PSU.
Try to disconnect every ide devices but the new hd and the CD-rom.
Do not search for a less energy-consuming drive as all hdd have quite the same current request.
If the computer is a desktop you will have problems to replace the PSU, but I believe it needs a more powerful unit. In my office I have a desktop Compaq and the PSU is almost ridicolous (some 175 W !!) and the +12V current is just that it needs for the onboard devices.