Is 64-bit Mobile Computing More Promise Than Reality?

Are you using a computer with a 64-bit mobile processor?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
MSI's MS-1029 barebones notebook computer is an exciting entree into the world of mobile 64-bit computing. But is this technology ready for prime time and is this the time for you to buy in? We give you the information and, using some new benchmarks, the test results to help you make a thumbs-up or thumbs-down decision.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Very interesting article!
My two cents:
1) Just last week I designed my new desktop PC (since a glorious Pentium 200MHz MMX in 1998 and a series of notebooks) and I looked at reviews of 32 vs 64bit. I ended up buying an Athlon 64, but that was because I like AMD.
In the windows' world, I have not found any 64 bit application for the "typical user" (that would be me).
I also tought about buying win XP 64 but it's expensive and, as it is clear from this article, suffers from lack of support/drivers even for common devices.
So, as far as Windows go, I have to agree that .. the world is not ready for 64 bit yet ;-p

2) What about Linux/Unix? I realize that the spectrum of applications is much more limited, however, Unix (and now Linux) have been playing 64 bit for a while.
I myself use 64 bit application on Opteron servers (for work), however, even if on smaller scale, it could be practical to run some of those applications on a 64 bit laptop (during a trip, for example).
Since for Linux we can find mature OS and applications for both 32 and 64 bit, I wonder if we could not get an idea of what to expect from the future in Windows.

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Thanks for the input. You are a mind reader. We are preparing a couple of articles on Linux for mobile computers. It is possible and a reality for many. More to come.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have loaded our systems with Windows x64 a coupe times, and each time I am disappointed.

It isn't that the OS isn't noticably faster than XP Pro 32 bit... it definately is. The problems I have had with it are:
* Printer Drivers
* Mainstream Anti-virus software
* Problems with hibernation
* Problems with screen brightness (I'm sure could be addressed with video drivers but manufacturers have taken a "ho hum" stance towards 64 bit driver development and updating.)

That was in December, and maybe things have changed since then... but that's what I said in December when I had previously tried it in July. I would be interested to hear from anyone who had success with notebook implementations of XP Pro X64.

Mech had brought up yesterday that Windows Vista will be able to use thumb drives and card readers as additional RAMstores for the computer. I certainly hope Vista (Longhorn) lives up to some of the hype.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'm surprised/glad that you don't mention wireless network.
I decided to give Win XP a try since with 4GB Win XP "32" was crashing every other day.
I had less troubles that I anticipated with the drivers (pheraps cause I use audio/video on the motherboard). I got stuck only on my wireless adapter (an USB dongle).
I looked into th e.inf file for the 32 bit drivers and found out network device and its manufacturer (ZyDAs in my case). They have 64 bit drivers so I got it to work well.
Haven't tried printers yet.

In any case, the article is being confirmed in my case. And yes, I do see a noticeable performance improvement with win xp 64 altough I have not done any benchmarking.

industry7

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
try thinking about 64-bit computing in general for a second...

the way that AMD and Intel design their chips right now, the only meaningful difference between 32bit and 64bit is the 4GB memory barrier, which is ironic since most mobos made for 64bit chips still only support 4GB.

now i love AMD to death, but if they hadn't jumped the gun with x86-64 then we might have had a chance to get a 64bit instruction set that actaully made sense (IA64 still has a chance since i heard Intel already makes chips based on it). as it is though moving to 64bit computing doesn't mean a huge performance gain, even with software optimized for it.

so i don't know exactly what 64bit mobile computing promises, but i can't imagine it delivering much at all.

TRENDING THREADS