Norton stops windows 7 from detecting cell phone

Tags:
  • Cell Phones
  • Windows 7
  • Norton
Last response: in Windows 7
July 2, 2012 4:52:20 PM

Hello,
I have a new Verizon LG Revere cell phone and my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit will not detect his cell phone or my old Samsung Haven.

When I look in device manager there is no listing for ports, COM or LPT. This suggests to me Norton 360 is doing something.

Thanks

More about : norton stops windows detecting cell phone

July 2, 2012 5:02:33 PM

Why would you think its Norton. Google the issue, if its Norton someone else has had the problem
m
l

Best solution

July 2, 2012 5:09:36 PM

Verizon has a tendency to block this from working.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2012 5:17:04 PM

I am not sure how it is for your phones, but many show up as UMS(USB mass storage shows up like a flash drive.) or PMP(Portable Media Player. Shows up just like a camera).

I have not seem any show up as COM or LTP(Why would a phone show up as a print device anyway?)

It looks like your phone may only use USB to charge the battery and nothing else. Bummer.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/692793
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:01:38 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I continue to have problems with Windows 7 recognizing my cell phone but the comments led me to a work around that sort of works.

I bought a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC. After several days of trying to make it work I did get the Bluetooth to see my phone. I continue to sort out about sending files. i have sent two pictures. I have a problem in that Windows says I should have a program called Device Stage that opens automatically when a cell phone is connected by cable. It does not open when I connect by Bluetooth. I can not locate the application to initiate it.

I want to learn how to create ring tones from my music.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
m
l
a c 426 $ Windows 7
July 12, 2012 1:05:19 AM

I have checked my resources regarding your options to transfer pictures; while you have many options to transfer pictures from your LG Revere to your computer, transferring pictures via USB cable is not an option for your device. I apologize for any misinformation.

For options to transfer pictures from your phone to your computer please review pages 58, 59 and 60 of your LG Revere User Guide. You can Send Pictures to Online Album and then download to your computer.

This is from the verizon site ^
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:35:06 AM

Thanks again for the information. I have realized Norton is not involved in my file transfer problem. It appears likely that Verizon has intentionally made it difficult to impossible to do what i want to do. I will be looking into other providers to determine the options they offer.

Thanks again
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:32:27 AM

Best answer selected by ColumbusGeorgia.
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:39:00 AM

ColumbusGeorgia said:
Hello,
I have a new Verizon LG Revere cell phone and my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit will not detect his cell phone or my old Samsung Haven.

When I look in device manager there is no listing for ports, COM or LPT. This suggests to me Norton 360 is doing something.

Thanks

I miss marked the Best Answer. The Best Answer was the one saying Verizon has a history of blocking connection.

m
l
!