Clasic Solitaire Inop

On Win-Me Classic Solitaire is inop unless User is on the
net, then it works normal. It won't even play a Classic
Solitaire on a CD unless PC is connected to the net
(JUNO). Classic Sol.exe and .ini have been installed from
a known working PC and Win-Me was reinstalled with same
result.

Anyone have any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about clasic solitaire inop

    Win-Me-User,

    There have been several posts in the past regarding issues with Freecell and
    Solitaire. Jimmy S. posted a comprehesive list of possible work-arounds
    that I've copied and included below.

    "A few causes of Solitaire, Free Cell, and other games failing: [Thanks to
    +Elmo_Tech for collecting most of these tips :-)]

    - Free Cell was locking up until, by reading a message on this Newsgroup, I
    turned off IMGICON.EXE on the Start Menu (Control/Alt/Delete). By
    instruction from Iomega, after trying updated download for the Iomega Zip
    drive, I did a search for IMGICON.EXE and deleted it. It works now.
    - Solitaire Caused General Protection Fault in Module:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q234/4/30.asp
    - General Protection Fault When Starting Microsoft Solitaire:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q237/9/00.asp
    - Problems Running FreeCell And Solitaire with Office XP Installed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/4/02.asp
    - Freecell FAQ: http://home.swipnet.se/staffan/fcfaq.htm
    - For more KB articles try: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/solitair.htm
    - Press Ctrl/Alt-Delete, click Point32 to highlight, and click End Task You
    may lose mouse acceleration and scrolling selections till you reboot.
    - Reinstall the game(s): To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:

    Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Click on the
    Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories. Check the box beside Games,
    then click OK / click OK again. You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to
    complete the installation unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on
    your hard drive.

    To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup programs
    one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad blockers using:
    http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

    KNOWN SOFTWARE THAT CAUSES CONFLICTS:

    "Have you also installed McAfee VirusScan's latest version? Malfunctioning
    in Freecell and Solitaire is a known problem for them, and they suggest a
    solution on their site."

    - AVG does the same thing.. Disable before you start the game.
    - Slow Spider Solitaire: "If I open "Start",and then "Help" Spider
    Solitaire works fine. That is I must run "Help" while I'm playing Spider
    Solitaire."
    - Pop Up stoppers.
    - Cookie Crushers.
    - PGP.
    - Mouse pointers.. Use default, or less-active pointers.
    - IE 6.
    - Iomega zipdisk program conflict with IE6. An article: "..a post on here a
    couple of weeks ago that suggested that this has to do with a Iomega Zip
    disk file that you have running. IMGICON.EXE This is loaded from the
    StartUp folder as Zip Disk Icons. (or it was on my PC) Hit Ctrl - Alt - Del
    and see if it's running."
    - Cleansweep's usage monitor. Disable."

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Thanks,
    Nick Kritselis [MS]

    "Win-Me-User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On Win-Me Classic Solitaire is inop unless User is on the
    > net, then it works normal. It won't even play a Classic
    > Solitaire on a CD unless PC is connected to the net
    > (JUNO). Classic Sol.exe and .ini have been installed from
    > a known working PC and Win-Me was reinstalled with same
    > result.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    thanks Nick

Classic Microsoft Solitaire Video Games