Clasic Solitaire Inop

On Win-Me Classic Solitaire is inop unless User is on the
net, then it works normal. It won't even play a Classic
Solitaire on a CD unless PC is connected to the net
(JUNO). Classic Sol.exe and .ini have been installed from
a known working PC and Win-Me was reinstalled with same
result.

Anyone have any ideas?

Win-Me-User,

There have been several posts in the past regarding issues with Freecell and
Solitaire. Jimmy S. posted a comprehesive list of possible work-arounds
that I've copied and included below.

"A few causes of Solitaire, Free Cell, and other games failing: [Thanks to
+Elmo_Tech for collecting most of these tips :)]

- Free Cell was locking up until, by reading a message on this Newsgroup, I
turned off IMGICON.EXE on the Start Menu (Control/Alt/Delete). By
instruction from Iomega, after trying updated download for the Iomega Zip
drive, I did a search for IMGICON.EXE and deleted it. It works now.
- Solitaire Caused General Protection Fault in Module:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q234/4/30.asp
- General Protection Fault When Starting Microsoft Solitaire:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q237/9/00.asp
- Problems Running FreeCell And Solitaire with Office XP Installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/4/02.asp
- Freecell FAQ: http://home.swipnet.se/staffan/fcfaq.htm
- For more KB articles try: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/solitair.htm
- Press Ctrl/Alt-Delete, click Point32 to highlight, and click End Task You
may lose mouse acceleration and scrolling selections till you reboot.
- Reinstall the game(s): To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:

Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Click on the
Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories. Check the box beside Games,
then click OK / click OK again. You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to
complete the installation unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on
your hard drive.

To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup programs
one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad blockers using:
http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

KNOWN SOFTWARE THAT CAUSES CONFLICTS:

"Have you also installed McAfee VirusScan's latest version? Malfunctioning
in Freecell and Solitaire is a known problem for them, and they suggest a
solution on their site."

- AVG does the same thing.. Disable before you start the game.
- Slow Spider Solitaire: "If I open "Start",and then "Help" Spider
Solitaire works fine. That is I must run "Help" while I'm playing Spider
Solitaire."
- Pop Up stoppers.
- Cookie Crushers.
- PGP.
- Mouse pointers.. Use default, or less-active pointers.
- IE 6.
- Iomega zipdisk program conflict with IE6. An article: "..a post on here a
couple of weeks ago that suggested that this has to do with a Iomega Zip
disk file that you have running. IMGICON.EXE This is loaded from the
StartUp folder as Zip Disk Icons. (or it was on my PC) Hit Ctrl - Alt - Del
and see if it's running."
- Cleansweep's usage monitor. Disable."

Hope this helps.
--
Thanks,
Nick Kritselis [MS]

"Win-Me-User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Win-Me Classic Solitaire is inop unless User is on the
> net, then it works normal. It won't even play a Classic
> Solitaire on a CD unless PC is connected to the net
> (JUNO). Classic Sol.exe and .ini have been installed from
> a known working PC and Win-Me was reinstalled with same
> result.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS