Windows XP & Stuff

G

Hello ! ,I'm only back using Pc's about 2 months so bare with me ....
I am using XP home and I have 768MB RDRAM ,I use tweak XP
to load XP into memory rather than use a page file.
But the system monitor still shows a Page file being used??
Is the page file in memory or on the hard drive??

Can I disable SV HOST in windows XP ,it seems to make
sub directories for everything from icons to mouse trails
surely this slows things down.

Lastly is there different types of drivers for UDMA in windows XP ,I switched around a new drive i got and have it where my primary drive used to be.

I did this because i could only get udma 3 on C:, and udma 2 on new drive . Now both are udma 5 but the original drives speed is down a little.
If i use a different driver for the secondary drive will it
boost the performance for both ,MAXTOR DIAMOND 40GB and WD 30 GB.
My system at the moment is
P4 2GHZ i850 with 768MB RAM
Audigy EX sound
Creative Personal cinema
Western Digital 30GB NTFS XP home
MAXTOR DIAMOND 40GB NTFS MUSIC/VIDEO

Thanks
Hoping my thoughts didn't splutter like an olivetti 286

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
XP is loaded into memory anyway, don't believe the kernal stuff ever goes into virtual memory.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Svchost is responsible for a whole bunch of things, not to mention your internet connection. There's some services associated with it that you can disable, and reduce it's memory pull, but some of them have/need to stay on.

Do you know how to start/stop/disable services?

G

I may as well have no keyboard and mouse when it comes to the ins and outs of windows .
All i know is that my computer would be faster if i ran a different operating system

while im writing i may aswell ask another question
how come microsoft can retail an operating system and then expect the consumer to log onto their sites for the software to adequatley run
windows are suppose to be clear with a view to the future

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'm not sure why Task Manager shows that you have a paging file, but you can use <A HREF="http://www.outertech.com/product.php?product=3&PHPSESSID=9404e2f120369d53e3feaea4eb255d7a" target="_new">Cacheman</A> to tweak your system so that it'll use your memory before the paging file.

With that, and using <A HREF="http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm" target="_new">this page</A> to tweak your system services, plus still having a set paging file, it should run well. I know mine does.

Now, if you want a better system, by all means jump into Linux. I think it'd be worth the trouble.

Lastly, what do you mean by this?
<font color=green>how come microsoft can retail an operating system and then expect the consumer to log onto their sites for the software to adequatley run
windows are suppose to be clear with a view to the future</font color=green>

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

G

Windows updates seem to say a lot about the haste at which the operating system was tested.
Surely microsoft don't just do security keys on cds and forget about the rest of the intelligent people out there.

G

Can i run linux in the background from windows for references when starting off using it.

I used msdos for a few years about 10 years ago ,i was even called up the the headmasters office by the computer teacher to fix the config.sys which which wasn't set right for Himem.sys .But when windows came out i lost touch with things ,now that the interest has come back i think i'll try something new .

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<font color=green>Windows updates seem to say a lot about the haste at which the operating system was tested. Surely microsoft don't just do security keys on cds and forget about the rest of the intelligent people out there.</font color=green>

I don't know if it's just because I haven't eaten since 10am this morning, but I have no idea what you're getting at. Sorry....

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

G

Utility cache man gives me a pagefile size of
5 Mb's and windows task manager gives a reading of 150mb

I have 768 MBs of ram and only 160MBS are used,any ideas
how i can get more stuff into memory?

I tried a couple of settings in the utility yov've shown me and I've increased the cache for the io and stuff into memory

Thanks again ,hope you got something to eat :D

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I think the paging file that Task Manager shows is close to what is actually being used. If you look at your numbers, Cacheman shows you using 5MB, plus 150MB in Task Manager. So, I think that's close to 160MB.

Also, keep in mind that just because 160MB of your memory is being used, doesn't mean that the paging file is being used too. If you find your hard drive showing any activity when opening up a lot of windows or something, then you know it's paging to the hard drive and not your memory. But, this number can mean that you have 508MB of memory left to burn, which is totally cool.

In my opinion, if you thoroughly turned off the unnecessary services, and enabled the "Conservative Paging File Usage" setting, you should be more than okay.

And yeah, I finally ate something. :wink:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
he never goes onto virtual memory. lol

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

Windows is going to use a page file. You might as well resign yourself to that fact. If you don't want a page file, turn the option off or manually set the page file to Min 0MB, Max 0MB. Then watch how slow your computer gets... heh.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

I only have my machine about 8 weeks
And I have finally got everything I needed
I genuinely thought the machine would be noticably faster
when i got the extra 512MB ram on top of the 256mb.
TweakXP was the program that got me going on the whole page file thing ,it supposedly loads the "Core system" into
ram.
I am working on Video capture,music ,photo's and whatever new comes out.
So far i've spent close to 3,800 euros in the last 8 weeks
I guess i'll have to sleep with the page file for a while before i divorce it .
Thanks for your help!

A computer never thinks for itself ,if it did ...........

°Better late in this life than early in the nexT∙

dhlucke

Polypheme
Isn't the pagefile only used when you've used up all your memory?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Aye, that's the way it should be... heh.

If your hard drive is thrashing away constantly once Windows is loaded, I would be concerned. Depending on what type of app you're running at the time, your memory can fill up very quickly. I think Windows tries to predict when if it will run out of memory... and if it does predict it's going to run out, it will use the pagefile... at least that's the way it seems to me at times.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Isn't the pagefile only used when you've used up all your memory?
Sort of, but some apps use the pagefile/swapfile regardless of the amount of free ram, which is why its generally not a good idea to disable it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Is there a utility to monitor what programs are paging while running?

I must be boring at this stage.

I haven't even started working with my machine yet ,I just want to make sure it's as efficient as it can be before i start relying on it.

Thanks for your help,it's great to know there are people whom are genuinely interested in this technology.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I suppose there will be a util somehere, but windows xp/2k has PERFMON built in which will monitor many things, including pageing. start/run/perfmon

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Cheers !

You wouldn't think i use to have my own bulletin board about 10 years ago ,now i'm back to square one.