m760 vs t2500

gypsymage777

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Ok, I know the t2500 is dual and has a faster fsb from what I can tell looking at intel's site. But the M760 shows to have more wireless options.

I am totally stupid when it comes to centrino type products. My brother in law has an AMD sempron and he can get internet from anywhere without a hotspot or wireless service. That is what I want and with so many M and centrino techs out there I am confused. I am also confused as to why you have to order a wireless network card for a laptop with a processor that is supposed to have it included? And bluetooth comes to mind also.

I have read a lot of stuff on intel, amd and in these forums and it is all directed to energy, coolness, and performance but I just can't seem to find a comprehensive guide to exactly what I can do with this mobile technology to get on the internet.

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
Ok, I know the t2500 is dual and has a faster fsb from what I can tell looking at intel's site. But the M760 shows to have more wireless options.

I am totally stupid when it comes to centrino type products. My brother in law has an AMD sempron and he can get internet from anywhere without a hotspot or wireless service. That is what I want and with so many M and centrino techs out there I am confused. I am also confused as to why you have to order a wireless network card for a laptop with a processor that is supposed to have it included? And bluetooth comes to mind also.

I have read a lot of stuff on intel, amd and in these forums and it is all directed to energy, coolness, and performance but I just can't seem to find a comprehensive guide to exactly what I can do with this mobile technology to get on the internet.

Ask your brother how he gets online without a hotspot or wireless service. The rest of us would *love* to know.

Meanwhile, one gets online either via 802.11a/b/g, or via a cell phone service. There are various different ways to do this (bluetooth to your cell phone, and cell phone to ISP being one), but that's the gist of it.

Just about any decent laptop you buy will have integrated wireless - typically 802.11g. if it doesn't at least have this, find another laptop. And by integrated, make sure it's _built in_.

Centrino Dual Core is where the money's at, right now, with respect to portables - imagine two Pentium Ms in one laptop, and you've got the gist of it.

Dell's 9400 is one good model, but plenty of vendors offer excellent Dual Core portables.