ray_rahul

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I have a 40gb seagate hdd, installed o/s is win98. the hdd was working fine untill last week it crashed. the machine is not booting from the hdd.
there were 3 partition (C=20, D=10, E=10), now both partition D and E are missing, i can only access the C drive,all the files seems to be intact, apart from the WIndows directory, which is almost empty, as allthe files/folders are missing in the WIN dir. This is why the system is not loading WINDOWS

i had to boot my machine from CD-rom, tried to run scandisk, but its falling after completing 22%, and the system freezes, (giving an error-'Problem in hdd, can not read from the last cluster').
i have Even tried to run fdisk to fix the partiton, but there also its giving 'Disk Error'. i have chked the BIOS, and auto-detected the HDD, the hdd is getting detected properly.

tried to use the Seagate Disk MAnager to fix the error ..but met with the same result

could anyone help me out and tell wht i should do. i am really in a fix.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Are you trying to recover data from the disk or just trying to make it work again? For data recovery you need put the disk in a working system and run Winternals or some other data recovery program on it. If you are just trying to get the drive working again try doing a low level format using the Seagate utility.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: