gypsymage777

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Are most laptops video upgradable? And is it very difficult?

Also, what would be a decent low expense dedicated memory video card for a laptop for video and gaming until I can afford to upgrade to a 7800?

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
Are most laptops video upgradable? And is it very difficult?

Also, what would be a decent low expense dedicated memory video card for a laptop for video and gaming until I can afford to upgrade to a 7800?

The majority are not. Dell had an upgradable series a while back, but few took advantage of it and ultimately Dell stopped marketing them as being upgradable.

In short, get the video capabilities you want when you buy the laptop.

SideKickSam

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It seems like Laptops in general are not very user friendly for upgrading anything...

But the cost of them have come down so much you could probably resell yours for 500.00

Then go get a brand spakin kick butt laptop for another 700 :)

And Wahla... :wink:

Side Kick Sam

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
nVidia did a push for this a while back trying to get everyone to a standard "MMX3" slot they called it.

It is an awesome idea that I wish would get implemented.

Ice-Tea

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hi,

A few Clevo and Dell's can be upgraded, but the main push for upgradeable laptop graphics comes from MXM.

A table with all known MXM lappies can be found here.

Ice-tea

Semi75

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Here's my question then. I've looked at the MXM list quite a few times but still can't find exactly what I want. I am looking for a desktop replacement with a 17 in screen, go7800gtx, perferably the amd x2 4200 or above (do not want to wait til May). I really like the Sager 9750, the Clevo's in other words but would rather buy a notebook that is mxm3 compliant to upgrade the gfx card in a year and half or so.

With a dual core 64 bit cpu and 2g+ of ram (want 4 banks) I can see everything on there other than the gfx card lasting me easily 3+ years of decent gaming. Size really isn't an issue but I want close to a full size keyboard and 17 in screen, it will be my primary gaming machine that will travel on weekends and to different rooms in the house, that's it really.

I'm not for sure my ideal beast exists yet though.

Ice-Tea

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
You are a bit picky, aren't you :wink:

Hmm, don't know anything that fits your descripion. Dual cores, yes, but only Intel. AMD, yes, but only single core. 17" Ok, not neccesarely together with your other requirements. 7800's? Not yet, but probably in the works (heard some grapevine rumours). x1800 the same.