gypsymage777

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Is MCE worth the investment? I notice that a lot of manufacturors do not offer MCE. I also notice that Pro is advised for network security, does that apply to internet security?

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
Is MCE worth the investment? I notice that a lot of manufacturors do not offer MCE. I also notice that Pro is advised for network security, does that apply to internet security?

If you're a consumer, get MCE by all means. Get a USB tuner card too if you like.

If the computer is part of a corporation / a domain, you need Pro. Otherwise, you don't.

Simple enough.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Do NOT get MCE. Unless you simply want to do light duty recording of analog cable and watch it on a computer monitor or newer television that support higher res inputs (DVI, HDMI etc I have the 50" Sony SXRD and that is pretty nice, but even with 1920 resolution for the tv it supports far less from the computer feed.)

This OS is as close to Beta software as you can get and the biggest resource hog I have ever seen! There are MANY components & software (I especially liked how MCE wasted days of my time as I tried to use Media Player to download 30 gigs of MP3's to my Philips MP3 player and then after transfer they just weren't there. I downloaded the "plug in" necessary and guess what? Doesn't work on MCE! So I had to re-do the entire process on my XP Pro notebook. Cool!) that MCE doesn't get along with and the frustration is almost endless.

If you want to watch/record tv shows like a TIVO get XP Pro and use Beyond TV 4 , ATI's Multimedia Center, Media Portal or any number of other programs that can emulate MCE's interface and usability. (A recordable DVD with a built in hard drive and GuidePlus from Best Buy will save you alot drywall and bruised knuckles near your media center.)

If you have a cable box (like 90% of the rest of the world) you are only going to be so disappointed in the "quasi marketing claims" MCE has and the "reality" MCE delivers. Right now you are facing IR Blaster (or equivalent) to change the cable box channels, seperate analog and digital tv tuner cards, you MUST have a dual core and at least a gig of RAM because this thing will grind you, and your patience to dust without it.

If you are going to get MCE, supposedly later this year it will have cable card support . If all goes as planned (and announced) then that will be a huge step forward in reducing hassle factor.

I have a Sony 50" SXRD tv, Silverstone Lascala LC16M (very sweet HTPC case-I highly recommend), Asus A8nSLi, Gigabyte Fanless x800 Pro 256 MB PCI Express, X2 Dual Core 4200+, 2 Gigs RAM, RAID1 2x250 Gig hard drives, Dual Layer DVD w/ Lightscribe, Harmony 880 Remote (this is an absolute must to hook your computer, tv, receiver together; otherwise you will be explaining to everyone in your family/friends (and then having to do it anyway) how to do "whatever" with the tv/media center/stero etc.
My humble opinion... get XP Pro and a software package to emulate media center.