Audigy vs Terratec vs ???

jimbodelaney

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Hi there
I have limited experience using electronic music creation software and am not too interested in gaming.
I am just using my onboard sound card at the moment and am now ready to upgrade to a proper sound card.

I have read the article about the Audigy and the Terratec
cards and am leaning towards the Terratec but what I am wondering is:
How much of a drawback is the lack of MIDI support and also the sound fonts on the Terractec?
Has anyone any experience using programs like Reaktor, Reason, Ableton's Live, Cubase, Fruityloops etc on either of these cards and what has your experience been?

Thanks,
James

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I've done some (very) limited sound studio work using a few different sound solutions. I'd say stay away from anything that is mainstream. For professional use, Creative just isn't on the bus. You need something such as Terratec, M-Audio, Audiotrak, RME, and the like. If you tell us your budget and what features you require, we'll give you some specific models to look at.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
If you're talking about the Terratec DMX 6Fire vs. Audigy 2 Platinum and you don't care about gaming then I would go for the Terratec. I think as far as recording goes it makes any Audigy card look like a toy (with the possible exception of the Audigy 2 Platinum ex, the only Audigy that mixes at 24/96 internally).

But that's just me...

<font color=blue>-Confucius say: A closed mouth gathers no feet.</font color=blue>

jimbodelaney

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well I will be buying the PCI card first and then it will be a while before I could afford to buy more stuff like midi controllers and stuff but I just want to make sure I am not limiting myself from the start by getting the wrong audio card. The Terratec is in the ballpark as far as costs go.

TRENDING THREADS