MN-100 dropping connection

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 1, 2004 8:10:32 PM

my base station seems to be dropping the cable modem
connection erratically. Broadband Networking displays
the "Local area cable disconnected" on the taskbar and I
have to powercycle the mn-100 and have to use ipconfig to
reconnect to cable modem/dhcp server as basestation
management tool shows "cannot be displayed" page. Under
LAN settings, I have lease time set to maximum (2 weeks).
Cable modem seems to remain connected without any
fiddling. Any ideas as to what's going on?
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 10:57:23 PM

It's a problem in the PC or in the PC to MN-100
connection (not in connecting to the Internet or in the
modem).

Make sure the cable is properly connected on the MN-100
and the PC. Ty using a different port on the MN-100, and
if possible a different cable.

Otherwise, try connecting the modem directly to the PC.
First turn on the firewall on the PC (ICF), and then
connect it to the modem. Check if it works well. If not,
there is either a misconfiguration on the PC (more
probable), or a problem with the ethernet card (rare).

June 2, 2004 2:16:10 PM

I have determined that I can remain connected if the
computer is hooked directly to the modem, but that
doesn't help the other users on my home network any and
am fairly certain the prolem lies with the MN-100.
Changing cables ports etc seems to make no difference. I
am not understanding the device's erratic behavior. Are
there any other suggestions?

I noticed that there is a firmware update for the mn100
on windows update, but the firmware does not fully
install take forcing me to reset the basestation to
factory defaults.

!