onair_iverson

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Hi all,

I am considering building a new system with 865PE and got some feedbacks from this community that CORSAIR's memeory is the best performance wise. Actually, I want a memory that not only works well in this new system, but also has great future value when I upgrade my system in the future.

I have come across:

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 32MX8 PC-3500C2 With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory PC-3200LL With Heat Spreaders.

The thing is PC-3500C2 is slightly cheaper than PC-3200LL, since it has greater Latency. However it has greater speed.

So I wonder what is more important performance wise, the faster speed or lower latency. And everything considered, what would you buy.

I am also open to ANY other memory brand and model suggestions.

Thanks.

I Love ya all..

G

If you want to overclock your system, faster 433 memory might be the best choice since it will provide more stability at higher speed. Otherwise, stick with the low latency modules, at 400mhz, it will always be faster...

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Corsair recommends against the use of the low-latency modules with the canterwood and springdale chipsets. Get the PC3500 from among the two listed.

<b><font color=blue>I agree with that solution ... because it is a logical one.</font color=blue></b>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
*Officially* it may support up to PC3200. But, fear not. You can use the PC3500 with the springdale motherboards.

<b><font color=blue>I agree with that solution ... because it is a logical one.</font color=blue></b>

TOK2000

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I've been looking at Corsair also and I can't really find any information that tells me the difference between the memory with "Platinum" Heat Spreaders and just Heat Spreaders. Also what the heck do the heat spreaders do?

thanks