Which Multi-Format DVD Writer is better?

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Im building a new computer and hopefully ill have enough to get a DVD burner. Which one is the better of the two the NEC Multi-Format burner or the Sony DRU510A or if there is a different one out add that one to the list. Im looking at around $250 US dollars to spend on this bad boy.

Thanks, Mike

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Go for the Sony. Or if it's beyond your budget, you may consider the lower cost LiteOn dual-format burner.
<A HREF="http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=&writedvdr=1&writedvdrw=1&writedvdplusr=1&writedvdplusrw=1&Submit2=Search&Search=Search&list=0" target="_new">This site</A> has a list of all dual-format DVD burners currently available.

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Liteon burners are made by Sony, so if you are on a bugdet and don't care about tech support you can save some $$$.

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Sony for sure. NEC has a 2MB buffer while Sony has an 8MB buffer. Also, it just looks cooler! hehehehe. The retail version is roughly $25-$50 more expensive, so if you want to save some money and aren't concerned about looks or cables or software, then check out the sony DW-U12A which is the OEM version of the DRU-510A

<i>To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.</i>

system1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
stife where did you read that Lite on are made by Sony? 'Cause I just bought a lite on at newegg that came bundled with Nero, but since I don't like Nero, I've tried to install Roxio ECD platinum 5, and it wouldn't accept the platinum format, but the same exact machine made by Sony does accept both formats, how is that explained ??...

Nirvana is here and now, it's the mind that's elsewhere