How to add a PATA HDD to my running PC

sodeep63

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I added PATA HDD to my desktop which has 3 SATA HDD's & 1 DVD Writer with dual boot options of WinXP & Win7. After adding the PATA HDD on the IDE slot & start up, it appears in BIOS, but after start up read/write operations on the PATA HDD is not possible. How do I correct this in WinXP OS, since it does not even register, but in Win 7, it Shows up in BIOS & in My Computer window, but read/cut/write operations on the PATA HDD is not possible. However it can copy data from PATA HDD.??

cklaubur

Distinguished

Wha?

XP can read NTFS just fine, being based on the same Windows NT code as Windows 2000, Vista, and 7.

To the OP, does the drive show up in Disk Management on XP?

Casey

*buzz* only windows 9x is unable to see a drive formatted in NTFS.

OhSnapWord

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
What you need to be mindful of in PATA drives are the jumper settings and which plug on the cable you're plugging the drive into. A PATA cable usually has three plugs on it; two of which are relatively close together. The one at the far end of the cable, not close to the middle plug connects to the motherboard, the one in the middle is for the slave drive and the one on the end, closer to the one in the middle is for the master drive. Make sure you have the master drive connected and that the jumpers on the drive are set to Cable Select.