Reducing microphone hiss when recording on laptop

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 3, 2005 6:36:57 PM

I'm trying to do some voice recording (spoken word, for a podcast) on
my IBM Laptop with an outboard Sound Blaster USB. I figured that the
outboard sound processing would make recording crystal-clear, but
that's turning out not to be the case. While my voice comes through
great on the $25 Radio Shack lapel mic I'm using, it comes through with
a ton of hiss that I can't seem to get rid of (short of doing
post-processing, which I'd like to avoid).

Do I need a better mic? It certainly seems like there people out there
recording hiss-free audio with far worse equipment.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Nick
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2005 10:49:44 PM

1) WTF is a "podcast"
2) mics can cost $15,000. $25= dog poop
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 10:41:53 AM

Nick wrote:

> I'm trying to do some voice recording (spoken word, for a podcast) on
> my IBM Laptop with an outboard Sound Blaster USB. I figured that the
> outboard sound processing would make recording crystal-clear, but
> that's turning out not to be the case. While my voice comes through
> great on the $25 Radio Shack lapel mic I'm using, it comes through with
> a ton of hiss that I can't seem to get rid of (short of doing
> post-processing, which I'd like to avoid).
>
> Do I need a better mic? It certainly seems like there people out there
> recording hiss-free audio with far worse equipment.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

First thing is to check what kind of level your mic is producing - if
it's too low and you have to seriously boost the record level, it's
going to boost any noise as well.

Second, make sure you have the Mic input selected as the record source,
and not "What U Hear", which will give you a mix of all the inputs and
could be adding in some noise.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/3/2005 11:41:37 PM
May 4, 2005 1:26:07 PM

Thanks, I did verify that it's recording off the Mic input. For the
mic to output a higher level, do I need a better mic, or a mic pre-amp?
I have a DJ mixer and tried running the mic through that, and into the
Sound Blaster's line-in, and although the sound came out better, there
was still some noticeable background noise.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 4:09:26 PM

"Nick"

> I'm trying to do some voice recording (spoken word, for a podcast) on
> my IBM Laptop with an outboard Sound Blaster USB. I figured that the
> outboard sound processing would make recording crystal-clear, but
> that's turning out not to be the case. While my voice comes through
> great on the $25 Radio Shack lapel mic I'm using, it comes through with
> a ton of hiss that I can't seem to get rid of (short of doing
> post-processing, which I'd like to avoid).
>
> Do I need a better mic?

** Long as that mic is used at close range to your mouth ( say 6 inches or
150mm) there should be no audible hiss.

Either the mic is faulty or your soundcard is too noisy.

............ Phil
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 7:04:07 AM

Nick wrote:

> Thanks, I did verify that it's recording off the Mic input. For the
> mic to output a higher level, do I need a better mic, or a mic pre-amp?
> I have a DJ mixer and tried running the mic through that, and into the
> Sound Blaster's line-in, and although the sound came out better, there
> was still some noticeable background noise.

If the mic came from Rat Shack, it's likely that it's the culprit. I assume
it's an electret type ?

Graham
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 7:10:12 AM

Nick wrote:

> Thanks, I did verify that it's recording off the Mic input. For the
> mic to output a higher level, do I need a better mic, or a mic pre-amp?
> I have a DJ mixer and tried running the mic through that, and into the
> Sound Blaster's line-in, and although the sound came out better, there
> was still some noticeable background noise.

You don't say what version Soundblaster USB you have but a quick look at
creative's site showed the mic input on a mini jack on one model. I doubt
that the mic pre behind it will be much good.

As a simple guide you'll find that pro quality ( i.e. quiet ) mic pres use
XLR connections. But your cheap electret won't connect to them !

Graham
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 4:21:29 PM

"Pooh Bear"
> Nick wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I did verify that it's recording off the Mic input. For the
>> mic to output a higher level, do I need a better mic, or a mic pre-amp?
>> I have a DJ mixer and tried running the mic through that, and into the
>> Sound Blaster's line-in, and although the sound came out better, there
>> was still some noticeable background noise.
>
> If the mic came from Rat Shack, it's likely that it's the culprit. I
> assume
> it's an electret type ?

** What smug bullshit - same a most of Pooh Face's garbology.

............. Phil
May 6, 2005 12:45:48 PM

Well, I took the mic back to Radio Shack and made a trip to Guitar
Center instead. Now I'm $200 lighter but have a mic setup that sounds
infintely better. They hooked me up with a set of 2 MXL condenser mics
and a basic Eurorack mixer with phantom power. Slight improvement
there!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2005 7:56:44 AM

In article <1115171384.885180.52840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> 1) WTF is a "podcast"

A podcast is another name for a prerecorded show - that is downloaded to
your computer,then transferred to your iPod for later listening. or you
can listen on you desktop. via iTunes or other MP3 player

see:
http://www.ipodder.org/whatisPodcasting.html

> 2) mics can cost $15,000. $25= dog poop

that's expensive for dog poop