Which Sound Card is the Best for studio Recording?

emillu

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Hi......
Can anybody tell me which brand of sound card is the BEST for the studio recroding. I am thinking of buying a new sound card because when I plug in the microphone (I am using a average quality mic.) and use my old sound card to record singing & Guitar, there is always a Hiss noise in the background. I am willing to spend quite a lot of money to purchase a Best sound card which is best for the microphone recording.
can anybody tell me?... Thank you??

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
"Quite a lot of money" when talking about soundcards usually means at least $1000+ :)

Nevertheless, M-audio or Terratec are my main choices in that price range. Look at the different features of the different cards, maybe up your price range a little, and select one with the features you want/need/like...

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Yeah, that budget definitely isn't classified as "a lot". Many mainstream cards are priced in that range.

M-Audio, Audiotrak, and Terratec would be choices within that budget.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

aurodrums1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
The definition of "a lot" aside - I got an M-Audio Delta 44 sound card specifically for home recording. I record mainly acoustic electric guitar, but have also recorded vocals with my little system which has been built for well under $1000! Well, excluding the monitor/s I'm saving for, but the dinky one I have has worked so far. One perk of getting a "professional" sound card is the support from the store you buy it from; these guys (in my case anyway) are well versed in digital recording & love to share their wealth of knowledge. That alone is worth the $200+ I spent. Lots of components end up as hiss, though - consider your mics & cables.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I agree about the support. I can't remember if it was with M-Audio, Terratech or Yamaha, but once when I called support we ended up discussing miking techniques for an hour or two, lol. Naturally, that was after the problem was taken care of.

As for the hissing sound you should check your mike, cable and connectors and be aware of interference (like if the frequency changes when you move the mike or cable around..)

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

quale

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Will a card with a single mic connector record in stereo? I want to record an acoustic piano (a practice piano) using two microphones. I'm look at cards like Terratec's DMX 6fire LT Soundcard. Should it be okay for getting a reasonably good sound with a left and right channel input?

Thanks,
Quale

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Extreme tech did an article on building a digital audio workstation which you might find informative.

You might want to just skip to the parts discussing the audio interfare (professional sound card). This will give you an idea of what to look for in a card.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,838565,00.asp

I have no idea if microphone inputs would be mono or stereo.

But the line in is going to be stereo so I don't see why you should be able to connect one microphone to one channel and one to the other using a splitter.

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
After researching quite a bit I found the Maudio omni I/O was the best choice for the money. It comes with a delta 44 sound card and an external patch bay with two quality mike pre amps. The unit costs $400. An unbeatable deal from the reviews I read. I am happy with it. You will need a good recording program like Cubase. That will set you back a few more bucks unless you can get a hacked version of course.

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Some of the information I gave was in correct. It is called the M-AUDIO OMNI STUDIO now. It come woth a delta 66 not a delta 44. The price has gone up since I bought mine. The MSRP is $599. You can get it here for $499 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030714183242012246130085683995/g=home/search/detail/base_id/52395
I know you probobly don't want to spend this much. I didn't either. If you want to make some quality recordings your going to have to spend a few bucks. I found this to be the cheapest way to go to get a good recording.

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Mic inputs are generally mono. Technically, you could run two mics off the line in, but don't expect a quality recording. Most mic inputs have a preamp to boost the signal. Line level inputs don't have this boost, so your signal will be weaker, causing you to turn up the mic more and raise the noise floor of your recording. If you want to run more than one mic, you'll probably want either a card or audio interface with multiple mic inputs (M-Audio, MOTU, etc.), or use an outboard mixer to boost the signal and mix them left/right. Hope this helps a little.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://www.tubesteakmusic.com/" target="_new">TUBESTEAK</A>

teningmelvin

Honorable
May 17, 2012
hello
i am the main marketing manager of MA electronic southern Cameroon we do import electronic from all over the world and sell in affordable prizes in less develop country i just read through your MSG and was willing to help you i am also a beat programmer and know which sound card is the best. i do thing Creative Sound Blaster new model is the best so far to record and mix your music it is available in our store for 170 us dollars we do ship our products all over the world so your location may not be a problem ok if still in need then contact me via email teningmelvin@yahoo.com or contact my sectary via sandrabell51@yhaoo.com
bye waiting
God bless u

teningmelvin

Honorable
May 17, 2012
hello
i am the main marketing manager of MA electronic southern Cameroon we do import electronic from all over the world and sell in affordable prizes in less develop country i just read through your MSG and was willing to help you i am also a beat programmer and know which sound card is the best. i do thing Creative Sound Blaster new model is the best so far to record and mix your music it is available in our store for 170 us dollars we do ship our products all over the world so your location may not be a problem ok if still in need then contact me via email teningmelvin@yahoo.com or contact my sectary via sandrabell51@yhaoo.com
bye waiting
God bless u