Can I install Windows 7 OEM on an SSD later on?

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012
hey ther people,

Ive recently been picking out parts for my pc build and I ran into a bit of a pickle :cry:

You see I want to futureproof myself. When windows 8 comes out or for faster boots of windows 7. I dont NEED an SSD but I heard that OEM windows cannot be upgraded directly to newer windows versions. So in order to install windows 8 I would have to ERASE everything on my OS drive. and that would contain all my data. I would lose all of my programs and games so I can upgrade my OS. so basically if I were to buy an SSD somewhere along the road would I be able to. install the OS on my SSD, make it the boot drive and somehow ERASE ONLY THE OS of the other drive? if possible how would I do this?

Solution

Depends on how much you like speed! I put one in a Core duo lappy and it boots to Home page in 28 seconds, all progs open instantly. Also depends on how much is in the Piggy Bank I guess. I actually run Windows and several progs (Adobe) on this machine with a 60Gb SSD, with careful...

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012
also here is a link to where i found out you CANNOT upgrade
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

If you want to keep your HDD and upgrade to Win 8, why not partition your drive, shift all your data/saved games on to the 'Data' Partition, format the Windows Partition
ready for Win 8. You'll have to reload your programs and Games, but that's not too hard... Though I have an SSD and would never go back to an HDD to run Windows...

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012

So, I would be able to delete just the OS by ONLY deleting the certain Partition but keep all the files on the other partitions?

Also do you think that the extra 150$ for 128GB Crucial M4 is truly worth it?

Depends on how much you like speed! I put one in a Core duo lappy and it boots to Home page in 28 seconds, all progs open instantly. Also depends on how much is in the Piggy Bank I guess. I actually run Windows and several progs (Adobe) on this machine with a 60Gb SSD, with careful housekeeping it's achievable. Still got 17 gig to play with...
Told a lie, it's actually 16 gig,but after 7 months running, not bad, and only costing about $60 now!
http://prntscr.com/bndjg

Solution

TRENDING THREADS