Sign in with
Your question

Problem with function-key with Acer/Samsung laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 3, 2006 1:49:54 AM

I have an ACER laptop model TM4152LMI with Windows XP installed.

The problem is the function key acts as if it is being held down, therefore
a section of the keypad turns into a number pad. I have had the same problem with another Samsung laptop, and fixed it with a format, however this seemed a little overkill for solving the problem, I just got frustrated.

The keypad works as normal if you hold down the function key, as if its role has been reversed. It seems to be the same as the scenario of holding down shift as oppose to hitting caps-lock, however there doesn't seem to be a 'caps-lock equivalent' for this situation.

The problem started after adding a ps2 keyboard to the system, and then removing it. The frustrating part is the laptops keypad works the way it should with the ps2 keyboard plugged in (but this defeats the purpose :)  ).

I have tried plugging the keyboard back in, rebooting, removing it, rebooting again, etc, to no effect.

As far as I can tell this is a windows problem, I was just wondering if there was a nice easy fix for it. (ie, just a simple key combo to disable it)

Thanks in advance :) 
March 5, 2006 10:56:53 PM

Okay, figured it out. It was Fn + NumLock.

Knew it had to be easy :) 
May 25, 2009 4:33:14 PM

yer a life saver. I've had this problem for a while. Wasn't a big deal since I have a back up wireless keyboard, but using the installed keyboard was a pain. It works now...yay!
Related resources
October 17, 2009 8:59:28 AM

I solved the same problem with the Fn key for an Acer Laptop, just PRESSING Fn + NumLk. Thanks to the community ! I am smiling againg. ;)  Traian
March 17, 2011 3:01:22 AM

thank you!! i just knew that i must have pressed something wrong! this was very helpful!
July 8, 2011 6:57:17 AM

My boss was almost killing me for letting the keys disturb her....thank you guys
October 28, 2011 11:48:51 AM

Thanks so much. This has been driving me crazy for the past two days. I can finally log back in!
January 31, 2012 9:28:18 PM

wow, this is so awesome completely irritated that I couldn't figure it out. Now I am happy! Thank you!
July 6, 2012 10:29:37 AM

I have the same problem, but I don't have NumLock onmy keyboard...no number pad. Is there an alternative to fix the issue? Very annoying.
October 29, 2012 8:58:34 AM

Thanks Man.... I was STUCKED... ;)  ;) 
June 13, 2014 9:18:51 AM

thank you
solved a headache
!