Ev S200 worth it ?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 4, 2005 10:16:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Hi,
I've been offered a pair of Ev S200's for £400. Is this too much ?
They are 10 years old, but apparently they've got new drivers in them a
year old.

I'm hoping they'll be an improvement over my JBL SF15's !

Cheers.

Mark.
--

More about : s200 worth

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2005 10:16:41 PM

Mark wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been offered a pair of Ev S200's for £400. Is this too much ? They
> are 10 years old, but apparently they've got new drivers in them a year
> old.
>
> I'm hoping they'll be an improvement over my JBL SF15's !
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark.
> --

They are a diferent sonic kettle of fish to the JBL`s, but if they are
as you say fitted with new drivers, they got to be worth £400 for the
pair. Nice speakers for small intimate style gigs.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

"Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've been offered a pair of Ev S200's for £400. Is this too much ?
> They are 10 years old, but apparently they've got new drivers in them a
> year old.
>
> I'm hoping they'll be an improvement over my JBL SF15's !
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark.
> --

Providing they are the proper drivers then yes....... i'd say

there abouts

providing everything else is ok with them......

roughly.....

ROb
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2005 10:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Great Speakers, very compact. Have two blasting as dj monitors in a
rock club in Dublin, 7 nights a week 364 days. parts are still handy to
come by. Make sure you get to hear them first and that they match your
amp wattage output ( i'm not familiar with the JBL's) Try test them
beside the JBL's
Sean
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2005 10:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

the JBLs will pale besides these "best little plasic speakers for
<$500" Very hi-fi.
My(Sx300) have done great steady duty for 6 years now . Only downside
is they mark up easy and look alittle beat up caus I'm too lazy to buy
/ use covers.

Kevin Tracy
May 5, 2005 1:37:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Thanks for your replies everyone. You realise I mean uk pounds not
dollars don't you? Mind you with the way things are, its pretty much
pounds to dollars when purchasing stuff over here in the UK.

I'm hoping they are better than the JBL's, I find the vocals a bit honky
with them, and that is just for starters.. huge amounts of eq required!
They are mainly for acoustic gigs.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

Mark wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been offered a pair of Ev S200's for £400. Is this too much ? They
> are 10 years old, but apparently they've got new drivers in them a year
> old.
>
> I'm hoping they'll be an improvement over my JBL SF15's !
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark.
> --
May 6, 2005 12:20:26 AM

"Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Thanks for your replies everyone. You realise I mean uk pounds not
> dollars don't you? Mind you with the way things are, its pretty much
> pounds to dollars when purchasing stuff over here in the UK.

The S200 is a sweet little box for smaller acoustic gigs ( ~100 people or
so ).. Any larger than that you do want to add a sub ( single 15" vented
will be fine ).. I currently have 6 of them in the rental stock, typically
powered with EV Q66 amps or Dynacord Powermate series powered mixers.... I
actually prefer these over the newer SX series for acoustic stuff..

> I'm hoping they are better than the JBL's, I find the vocals a bit honky
> with them, and that is just for starters.. huge amounts of eq required!
> They are mainly for acoustic gigs.

These things wont produce low end and will sound "boxy" if you try to put
some serious lows through them, so if you expect low end get some subs...

One thing you really want to do, if it hasnt already been done, is replace
the 1/4" jacks with speakons..

You need to remove the grille and the woofer to get access to the jacks.. be
careful not to hit the crossover when you drill the holes..

The price seems similar to what they are going for here in denmark *IF* they
are loaded with the proper drivers... Recone kits are available

/peter
December 10, 2009 9:31:25 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?) Mark wrote: > Hi, > I've been offered a pair of Ev S200's for £400. Is this too much ? They > are 10 years old, but apparently they've got new drivers in them a year > old. > > I'm hoping they'll be an improvement over my JBL SF15's ! > > Cheers. > > Mark. > -- They are a diferent sonic kettle of fish to the JBL`s, but if they are as you say fitted with new drivers, they got to be worth £400 for the pair. Nice speakers for small intimate style gigs. Ron(UK) -- Lune Valley Audio Public address system Hire, Sales, Repairs www.lunevalleyaudio.com

I've owned 4 of them for about 15 years. They are great work horses for their size. They are rated at 300w RMS but I drove them at 2ohms w' 550w RMS and they love it. They are efficient and when used in numbers they couple to product incredible unexpected amounts of bass. I worked for a pro sound company & lighting company several years ago which is where I discovered them. The owner of that company owned 20 of them and in some applications, he preferred them to his Turbo Sounds. I recommend using they with the processor designed for them; it allows 6 more dBs of low end and 13 to 16 more dBs high end. I have used them for floor monitors with the provided peg that screws into the back for a prop and incidentally they create a very nice barricade for keeping folks off of the stage. www.myspace.com/bassmangotdbluz Austin, Tx USA
February 17, 2012 9:29:16 PM

Hey can anyone help. I need to replace the tweeter? in one of my S200s and I can't figure out how to open the cabinet. Can anyone help?

Rick
!