BackupMan

July 5, 2004 9:36:38 PM

A few weeks ago I asked for input about a backup program for my Zire71
and had a few recommendations for BackupMan. I downloaded the trial
version and liked it, so I paid for it when the trial expired. Great.
Especially great since yesterday my Palm refused to turn on. After
several panicky gulps, I ended up doing a hard reset, wiping out all of
my information. The bad news was that I didn't have any of my data. The
good news was that my Zire71 wasn't dead any longer.

The better news was that restoring from BackupMan was seamless and
flawless! I only had to recreate the things I'd done since my last
backup, which took considerably less time than restoring from a hot sync
backup would have taken. Keep in mind that I can't use BackupBuddy,
since it no longer plays nicely with Macs, so this saved me from a long,
drawn-out, and painful chore. NAYY, just thought I'd pass along the
information! :)
--
Sandy
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

More about : backupman

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:36:39 PM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:36:38 GMT, Sandy Foster <sfoster1@nospam.com>
wrote:

>A few weeks ago I asked for input about a backup program for my Zire71
>and had a few recommendations for BackupMan. I downloaded the trial
>version and liked it, so I paid for it when the trial expired. Great.
>Especially great since yesterday my Palm refused to turn on. After
>several panicky gulps, I ended up doing a hard reset, wiping out all of
>my information. The bad news was that I didn't have any of my data. The
>good news was that my Zire71 wasn't dead any longer.
>
>The better news was that restoring from BackupMan was seamless and
>flawless! I only had to recreate the things I'd done since my last
>backup, which took considerably less time than restoring from a hot sync
>backup would have taken. Keep in mind that I can't use BackupBuddy,
>since it no longer plays nicely with Macs, so this saved me from a long,
>drawn-out, and painful chore. NAYY, just thought I'd pass along the
>information! :)

Yep, BackupMan is great! I keep two backups and delete the oldest
along the way. I've always had a perfect restore with BackupMan.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 10:29:44 PM

Sandy Foster <sfoster1@nospam.com> wrote in news:sfoster1-
E0E2B2.10363805072004@news2.west.earthlink.net:

> A few weeks ago I asked for input about a backup program for my Zire71
> and had a few recommendations for BackupMan. I downloaded the trial
> version and liked it, so I paid for it when the trial expired. Great.
> Especially great since yesterday my Palm refused to turn on. After
> several panicky gulps, I ended up doing a hard reset, wiping out all of
> my information. The bad news was that I didn't have any of my data. The
> good news was that my Zire71 wasn't dead any longer.
>
> The better news was that restoring from BackupMan was seamless and
> flawless! I only had to recreate the things I'd done since my last
> backup, which took considerably less time than restoring from a hot sync
> backup would have taken. Keep in mind that I can't use BackupBuddy,
> since it no longer plays nicely with Macs, so this saved me from a long,
> drawn-out, and painful chore. NAYY, just thought I'd pass along the
> information! :)

This morning, my Zire 71 decided to crash. When I did a reset, it went
into the loop, and wouldn't respond to anything except a hard reset. I did
the hard reset, then ran BackupMan from the card, and restored the backup
that was done early this morning. Everything was back to normal in less
than a minute. Without BackupMan, I would still be trying to get
everything back to where it should be. If this had happened while I was
away from home, and I had to rely on a restoration from hotsync, I would
have been completely out of luck without BackupMan, but with it I don't
need a PC. I have all my passwords, account names and numbers, etc in my
Palm with Keyring, and without Backupman, all that would have been gone
until I could hotsync - not a pleasant thought. Not having some backup
program, which automatically backs your Palm up to an SD card, is gross
negligence, and will eventually get you just what you deserve.

--
Regards,

Stan
July 6, 2004 1:23:18 AM

Nice thread for me to ask a question about BackupMan:

I installed BackupMan to the card, and was not asked to soft-reset the
Palm (which the docs. said I would be).

Will BackupMan run OK from the card? I think the docs. assume you are
installing to the internal memory.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:23:19 AM

fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:lVhGc.1680$v04.29849@news2.e.nsc.no:

> Nice thread for me to ask a question about BackupMan:
>
> I installed BackupMan to the card, and was not asked to soft-reset the
> Palm (which the docs. said I would be).
>
> Will BackupMan run OK from the card? I think the docs. assume you are
> installing to the internal memory.

It will run, but not all features will work. You absolutely must have it on
the card, for restoring backups. But also install it to RAM, and have it do
automated backups while you're sleeping, and/or after each hotsync, or on
whatever schedule works for you. If you don't, eventually you'll be caught
without a current backup and regret it. The only way it can do automated
backups is if it is installed in internal memory, because otherwise it isn't
running, and doesn't know what time it is. Install it in both places.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:23:19 AM

I agree with all above. BackupMan definitely a lifesaver.

fm wrote:

> Nice thread for me to ask a question about BackupMan:
>
> I installed BackupMan to the card, and was not asked to soft-reset the
> Palm (which the docs. said I would be).
>
> Will BackupMan run OK from the card? I think the docs. assume you are
> installing to the internal memory.

Mine says that automated back-ups will not run from a card. I suppose
this implies that you could run manual back-ups. I have an automated
back-up at three in the morning. One night I woke to find the room lit
up by the screen so now I always put it screen side down.

- Dave
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 3:30:40 AM

Dave Curtis <dave@IdaveDONTcurtisWANT.SPAMnet> wrote in news:cccc7u$d5j$1
@helium.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk:

> Mine says that automated back-ups will not run from a card. I suppose
> this implies that you could run manual back-ups. I have an automated
> back-up at three in the morning. One night I woke to find the room lit
> up by the screen so now I always put it screen side down.

Check the box to turn the Palm off after the backup. Saves battery power,
and could prevent a dead Palm. With that box checked, the Palm turns off
immediately when the backup is finished.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 10:19:15 AM

krewl wrote:

> Yep, BackupMan is great! I keep two backups and delete the oldest
> along the way. I've always had a perfect restore with BackupMan.

You should keep a copy of your Graffiti Shortcuts somewhere else. I'm pretty
sure BackMan will not restore anything other than the factory installed
file for that. That is, you'll lose all your manually entered shortcuts
after the restore. The only way to restore that file is to first delete the
file in RAM and then copy it from your card. The Palm OS won't overwrite
that file.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 10:19:16 AM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:19:15 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
wrote:

>krewl wrote:
>>
>> Yep, BackupMan is great! I keep two backups and delete the oldest
>> along the way. I've always had a perfect restore with BackupMan.
>
>You should keep a copy of your Graffiti Shortcuts somewhere else. I'm pretty
>sure BackMan will not restore anything other than the factory installed
>file for that. That is, you'll lose all your manually entered shortcuts
>after the restore. The only way to restore that file is to first delete the
>file in RAM and then copy it from your card. The Palm OS won't overwrite
>that file.

Actually, at least for me, BackupMan does restore the Graffiti
Shortcuts to my delight. However, BackupBuddyVFS does not. I don't
have but about 5 that I use, so it was never a problem, but am glad
that BackupMan does restore them.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 10:48:36 AM

>>back-up at three in the morning. One night I woke to find the room lit
>>up by the screen so now I always put it screen side down.
>

> Check the box to turn the Palm off after the backup. Saves battery power,
> and could prevent a dead Palm. With that box checked, the Palm turns off
> immediately when the backup is finished.

No, I mean I woke up at three, or rather I think the light woke me up at
three. I didn't mean it was left on all night.

- Dave
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 7:34:00 PM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
news:D vrGc.24626$6e7.22921@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

> You should keep a copy of your Graffiti Shortcuts somewhere else. I'm
> pretty sure BackMan will not restore anything other than the factory
> installed file for that. That is, you'll lose all your manually entered
> shortcuts after the restore. The only way to restore that file is to
> first delete the file in RAM and then copy it from your card. The Palm
> OS won't overwrite that file.

BackupMan does restore everything, including graffiti shortcuts. I've done
it many times. The graffiti shortcuts are in a standard .pdb in RAM, and are
easily backed up and overwritten. It is a good idea to have another backup
of *everything* elsewhere. I back up my card to my PC, and occasionally to
CD, as well as to multiple cards.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:40:23 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
> news:D vrGc.24626$6e7.22921@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:
>
>> You should keep a copy of your Graffiti Shortcuts somewhere else. I'm
>> pretty sure BackMan will not restore anything other than the factory
>> installed file for that. That is, you'll lose all your manually entered
>> shortcuts after the restore. The only way to restore that file is to
>> first delete the file in RAM and then copy it from your card. The Palm
>> OS won't overwrite that file.
>
> BackupMan does restore everything, including graffiti shortcuts. I've
> done
> it many times. The graffiti shortcuts are in a standard .pdb in RAM, and
> are
> easily backed up and overwritten. It is a good idea to have another
> backup
> of *everything* elsewhere. I back up my card to my PC, and occasionally
> to CD, as well as to multiple cards.

Have you tried this on a device that was Hard Reset? In such cases, at least
with an OS4 device, the Graffiti Shortcuts file that a Hard Reset creates
(factory fresh) cannot be overwritten. It must first be deleted before a
different file is restored there. Most backup/restore utilities don't take
the extra step of first deleting that file in RAM before restoring it from
the card. BackupMan didn't when I tried it, so that's why I keep a copy
somewhere else. Otherwise I lose my manually entered shortcuts. Perhaps the
author of BackupMan changed this after I reported it to him. I haven't
tested it with later versions.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:40:24 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:40:23 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
wrote:

>Stan Gosnell wrote:
>
>> Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
>> news:D vrGc.24626$6e7.22921@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:
>>
>>> You should keep a copy of your Graffiti Shortcuts somewhere else. I'm
>>> pretty sure BackMan will not restore anything other than the factory
>>> installed file for that. That is, you'll lose all your manually entered
>>> shortcuts after the restore. The only way to restore that file is to
>>> first delete the file in RAM and then copy it from your card. The Palm
>>> OS won't overwrite that file.
>>
>> BackupMan does restore everything, including graffiti shortcuts. I've
>> done
>> it many times. The graffiti shortcuts are in a standard .pdb in RAM, and
>> are
>> easily backed up and overwritten. It is a good idea to have another
>> backup
>> of *everything* elsewhere. I back up my card to my PC, and occasionally
>> to CD, as well as to multiple cards.
>>
>Have you tried this on a device that was Hard Reset? In such cases, at least
>with an OS4 device, the Graffiti Shortcuts file that a Hard Reset creates
>(factory fresh) cannot be overwritten. It must first be deleted before a
>different file is restored there. Most backup/restore utilities don't take
>the extra step of first deleting that file in RAM before restoring it from
>the card. BackupMan didn't when I tried it, so that's why I keep a copy
>somewhere else. Otherwise I lose my manually entered shortcuts. Perhaps the
>author of BackupMan changed this after I reported it to him. I haven't
>tested it with later versions.

Yes, always after a hard reset in my case as I do that on purpose. I
switch back and forth once a month or so from an SJ30 and a Visor Pro.
What I do is do a backup with BackupMan, then hard reset the SJ30 and
store it away. Then later, when I do a restore, everything comes back
perfectly, including the shortcuts and DateBk5. Yeah, I know...pretty
weird switching machines, but hey, it's a hobby and I like keeping
both machines up-to-date. ;)

Like you say, looks like the author fixed the problems you had with
earlier versions. I am very happy with BackupMan. For awhile, I used
both BackupBuddyVFS and BackupMan. With BackupBuddyVFS I had to
manually re-enter the Graffiti Shortcuts like you say, but with
BackupMan, I didn't. After several hard resets and restores from
BackupMan, I finally removed BackupBuddyVFS as I am very confident of
the reliability of BackupMan. In any case, I use BackupBuddy on the PC
and keep regular backups on a separate hard drive, so I never worry
about losing more than a day's worth of data.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:22:11 AM

krewl wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:19:15 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
> wrote:

> Actually, at least for me, BackupMan does restore the Graffiti
> Shortcuts to my delight. However, BackupBuddyVFS does not. I don't
> have but about 5 that I use, so it was never a problem, but am glad
> that BackupMan does restore them.

Then the author must have fixed that sometime after the initial release,
when I reported this to him. My acid test of a backup/restore utility is
that it be able to

1. Restore and maintain the integrity of Datebk5 links after a Hard Reset.
2. Restore manually entered shortcuts after a Hard Reset.

Most don't do either of the above.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:30:28 AM

Ralph Alvy wrote:

> krewl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:19:15 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
> > wrote:
>

> > Actually, at least for me, BackupMan does restore the Graffiti
> > Shortcuts to my delight. However, BackupBuddyVFS does not. I don't
> > have but about 5 that I use, so it was never a problem, but am glad
> > that BackupMan does restore them.
>
> Then the author must have fixed that sometime after the initial release,
> when I reported this to him. My acid test of a backup/restore utility is
> that it be able to
>
> 1. Restore and maintain the integrity of Datebk5 links after a Hard Reset.
> 2. Restore manually entered shortcuts after a Hard Reset.
>
> Most don't do either of the above.

How 'bout BackupBuddy (not the VFS variety)?

Notan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:02:28 AM

Notan wrote:

> Ralph Alvy wrote:
>>
>> krewl wrote:
>>
>> > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:19:15 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > Actually, at least for me, BackupMan does restore the Graffiti
>> > Shortcuts to my delight. However, BackupBuddyVFS does not. I don't
>> > have but about 5 that I use, so it was never a problem, but am glad
>> > that BackupMan does restore them.
>>
>> Then the author must have fixed that sometime after the initial release,
>> when I reported this to him. My acid test of a backup/restore utility is
>> that it be able to
>>

>> 1. Restore and maintain the integrity of Datebk5 links after a Hard
>> Reset.

>> 2. Restore manually entered shortcuts after a Hard Reset.
>>
>> Most don't do either of the above.
>
> How 'bout BackupBuddy (not the VFS variety)?
>
> Notan
BackupBuddy VFS handles 1 but not 2. I don't use regular BackupBuddy, as I
run Linux and not Windows.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:13:15 AM

> Have you tried this on a device that was Hard Reset? In such cases, at
> least with an OS4 device, the Graffiti Shortcuts file that a Hard Reset
> creates (factory fresh) cannot be overwritten. It must first be deleted
> before a different file is restored there. Most backup/restore utilities
> don't take the extra step of first deleting that file in RAM before
> restoring it from the card. BackupMan didn't when I tried it, so that's
> why I keep a copy somewhere else. Otherwise I lose my manually entered
> shortcuts. Perhaps the author of BackupMan changed this after I reported
> it to him. I haven't tested it with later versions.

I have done it many times after a hard reset, on OS3, 4, and 5. Never had a
problem. The shortcut file is just a .pdb, and can easily be overwritten.
Two days ago my Zire 71 gagged and puked, and went into the reset circle, and
only a hard reset would fix it. I restored via my morning BackupMan backup,
and everything was restored, including all my shortcuts, and I have a lot of
them. I've done it with an original Zire, OS4, and with an M105, OS3, which
use the original Grafitti. I've never before heard anyone claim that the
shortcut file can't be overwritten.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:13:16 AM

On 07 Jul 2004 05:13:15 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
wrote:

>Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
>
>> Have you tried this on a device that was Hard Reset? In such cases, at
>> least with an OS4 device, the Graffiti Shortcuts file that a Hard Reset
>> creates (factory fresh) cannot be overwritten. It must first be deleted
>> before a different file is restored there. Most backup/restore utilities
>> don't take the extra step of first deleting that file in RAM before
>> restoring it from the card. BackupMan didn't when I tried it, so that's
>> why I keep a copy somewhere else. Otherwise I lose my manually entered
>> shortcuts. Perhaps the author of BackupMan changed this after I reported
>> it to him. I haven't tested it with later versions.
>
>I have done it many times after a hard reset, on OS3, 4, and 5. Never had a
>problem. The shortcut file is just a .pdb, and can easily be overwritten.
>Two days ago my Zire 71 gagged and puked, and went into the reset circle, and
>only a hard reset would fix it. I restored via my morning BackupMan backup,
>and everything was restored, including all my shortcuts, and I have a lot of
>them. I've done it with an original Zire, OS4, and with an M105, OS3, which
>use the original Grafitti. I've never before heard anyone claim that the
>shortcut file can't be overwritten.

I'm thinking there must be some reason that makes it tricky to restore
the graffiti shortcuts, otherwise you would think that BackupBuddyVFS
would then restore it, but it doesn't. Maybe Ralph Alvy will have some
info on *why* that file is not easily restored.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:14:44 AM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in news:7fIGc.18280$Xq4.15280
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

> Then the author must have fixed that sometime after the initial release,
> when I reported this to him. My acid test of a backup/restore utility is
> that it be able to
>
> 1. Restore and maintain the integrity of Datebk5 links after a Hard Reset.
> 2. Restore manually entered shortcuts after a Hard Reset.
>
> Most don't do either of the above.

BackupMan does both for me.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:15:02 AM

krewl wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:40:23 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Stan Gosnell wrote:
>>
>>> Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
>>> news:D vrGc.24626$6e7.22921@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

>>> BackupMan does restore everything, including graffiti shortcuts. I've
>>> done
>>> it many times. The graffiti shortcuts are in a standard .pdb in RAM,
>>> and are
>>> easily backed up and overwritten. It is a good idea to have another
>>> backup
>>> of *everything* elsewhere. I back up my card to my PC, and occasionally
>>> to CD, as well as to multiple cards.
>>>
>>Have you tried this on a device that was Hard Reset? In such cases, at
>>least with an OS4 device, the Graffiti Shortcuts file that a Hard Reset
>>creates (factory fresh) cannot be overwritten. It must first be deleted
>>before a different file is restored there. Most backup/restore utilities
>>don't take the extra step of first deleting that file in RAM before
>>restoring it from the card. BackupMan didn't when I tried it, so that's
>>why I keep a copy somewhere else. Otherwise I lose my manually entered
>>shortcuts. Perhaps the author of BackupMan changed this after I reported
>>it to him. I haven't tested it with later versions.
>
> Yes, always after a hard reset in my case as I do that on purpose. I
> switch back and forth once a month or so from an SJ30 and a Visor Pro.
> What I do is do a backup with BackupMan, then hard reset the SJ30 and
> store it away. Then later, when I do a restore, everything comes back
> perfectly, including the shortcuts and DateBk5. Yeah, I know...pretty
> weird switching machines, but hey, it's a hobby and I like keeping
> both machines up-to-date. ;)
>
> Like you say, looks like the author fixed the problems you had with
> earlier versions. I am very happy with BackupMan. For awhile, I used
> both BackupBuddyVFS and BackupMan. With BackupBuddyVFS I had to
> manually re-enter the Graffiti Shortcuts like you say, but with
> BackupMan, I didn't. After several hard resets and restores from
> BackupMan, I finally removed BackupBuddyVFS as I am very confident of
> the reliability of BackupMan. In any case, I use BackupBuddy on the PC
> and keep regular backups on a separate hard drive, so I never worry
> about losing more than a day's worth of data.

I wish BackupMan would finally come out with its encryption-supported
version. For that reason, I only use it to do generational backups I leave
in the office when I go home each night. The card I carry at all times in
my device has a BackupBuddy VFS backup. I need the encryption because I
carry around patient data on that device. The encryption-supported version
of BackupMan was supposed to be out months ago, but I understand the author
is very busy on other things right now. When it comes out, I'll probably
ditch BackupBuddy VFS finally.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:15:29 AM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in news:qFLGc.25663$6e7.6481
@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

> I wish BackupMan would finally come out with its encryption-supported
> version. For that reason, I only use it to do generational backups I leave
> in the office when I go home each night. The card I carry at all times in
> my device has a BackupBuddy VFS backup. I need the encryption because I
> carry around patient data on that device. The encryption-supported version
> of BackupMan was supposed to be out months ago, but I understand the author
> is very busy on other things right now. When it comes out, I'll probably
> ditch BackupBuddy VFS finally.

I'm not sure I understand your thinking. If the data is on the device
unencrypted, why does it matter if the backup is encrypted, while in the
device? Maybe I'm missing something, but if the data is in clear form in one
place, encrypting it in another does no good. It would make more sense to me
to have the backup you leave at the office encrypted.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:19:49 AM

krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in

> I'm thinking there must be some reason that makes it tricky to restore
> the graffiti shortcuts, otherwise you would think that BackupBuddyVFS
> would then restore it, but it doesn't. Maybe Ralph Alvy will have some
> info on *why* that file is not easily restored.

I tried BackupBuddyVFS, and ISTR that it did restore shortcuts, but it's been
some time since I used it, and I'm not certain I did a restore from a hard
reset with it. I know a normal hotsync will restore shortcuts.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:33:59 AM

krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in

> I'm thinking there must be some reason that makes it tricky to restore
> the graffiti shortcuts, otherwise you would think that BackupBuddyVFS
> would then restore it, but it doesn't. Maybe Ralph Alvy will have some
> info on *why* that file is not easily restored.

Just for grins, I just downloaded a trial version of BackupBuddyVFS,
installed it, and made a backup of my Zire 71. I then did a hard reset,
restored the BBVFS backup, and my shortcuts were restored perfectly. I did
the same again with BackupMan, and again my shortcuts were restored. I have
never had a problem with my shortcuts not being restored completely. This
thread is the first I have ever heard of shortcuts not being restored. Have
I been living in a cave, or what?

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:34:00 AM

On 07 Jul 2004 06:33:59 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
wrote:

>krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in
>
>> I'm thinking there must be some reason that makes it tricky to restore
>> the graffiti shortcuts, otherwise you would think that BackupBuddyVFS
>> would then restore it, but it doesn't. Maybe Ralph Alvy will have some
>> info on *why* that file is not easily restored.
>
>Just for grins, I just downloaded a trial version of BackupBuddyVFS,
>installed it, and made a backup of my Zire 71. I then did a hard reset,
>restored the BBVFS backup, and my shortcuts were restored perfectly. I did
>the same again with BackupMan, and again my shortcuts were restored. I have
>never had a problem with my shortcuts not being restored completely. This
>thread is the first I have ever heard of shortcuts not being restored. Have
>I been living in a cave, or what?

I don't know the version I was using and maybe the latest version has
taken care of the problem, but now that I recall, it was sporadic with
BackupBuddyVFS. About every other backup and restore, the Graffiti
Shortuts were NOT restored, so I could never be sure if they would be
or not. However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's never
been a big deal one way or another as I only have maybe 4 or 5 custom
shortcuts I've created. So, it only took a minute or so to re-create
them. But, never has BackupMan not restored the Graffiti Shortcuts.
Bottom line is that both are very reliable, at least with my SJ30, I'm
just leaning more toward BackupMan. I like the way it stores multiple
backup sets. I can tell you one advantage of BackupBuddyVFS over
BackupMan (that is is you are using BackupBuddy for the PC as well as
BackupBuddyVFS). If you do a hard reset and restore with
BackupBuddyVFS, then do a hotsync, BackupBuddy for the PC recognizes
these restored files as having not changed, so you get a very fast
hotsync. When restoring from a BackupMan backup, on the first hotsync,
you end up with all files being re-written to the Backp Folder. In
that regard, I prefer BackupBuddyVFS over BackupMan. Great combo is
InstallBuddy, BackupBuddy for the PC and BackupBuddyVFS. Both programs
are great and I'll take either one in a pinch :)
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:17:39 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your thinking. If the data is on the device
> unencrypted, why does it matter if the backup is encrypted, while in the
> device? Maybe I'm missing something, but if the data is in clear form in
> one
> place, encrypting it in another does no good. It would make more sense to
> me to have the backup you leave at the office encrypted.

I use a security program (OnlyMe) on the device that locks it cold, even via
the infrared port. The only way to run the device is to Hard Reset it if
you don't have the password, or else, I imagine, take it apart physically
and extract the data. Because of the latter concern, there are security
apps that actually encrypt the data on the device when it's off (TealLock,
for instance). I've been considering moving to that lately.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:20:19 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> I tried BackupBuddyVFS, and ISTR that it did restore shortcuts, but it's
> been some time since I used it, and I'm not certain I did a restore from a
> hard
> reset with it. I know a normal hotsync will restore shortcuts.

Perhaps the author of BBVFS has fixed that too. When I talked with them
about this problem, they researched it and later told me they discovered
the problem: the factory fresh shortcuts file couldn't be overwritten, but
had to be deleted first. They said they would fix this on a later version.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:21:55 PM

Ralph Alvy wrote:

> Stan Gosnell wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand your thinking. If the data is on the device
> > unencrypted, why does it matter if the backup is encrypted, while in the
> > device? Maybe I'm missing something, but if the data is in clear form in
> > one
> > place, encrypting it in another does no good. It would make more sense to
> > me to have the backup you leave at the office encrypted.
> >
> I use a security program (OnlyMe) on the device that locks it cold, even via
> the infrared port. The only way to run the device is to Hard Reset it if
> you don't have the password, or else, I imagine, take it apart physically
> and extract the data. Because of the latter concern, there are security
> apps that actually encrypt the data on the device when it's off (TealLock,
> for instance). I've been considering moving to that lately.

Along the same lines as TealLock is Xforcer (http://toysoft.ca/xforcer.html).

Same principle, *much* simpler to use.

Notan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:50:42 PM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
news:D mVGc.33545$qw1.2643@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

> I use a security program (OnlyMe) on the device that locks it cold, even
> via the infrared port. The only way to run the device is to Hard Reset
> it if you don't have the password, or else, I imagine, take it apart
> physically and extract the data. Because of the latter concern, there
> are security apps that actually encrypt the data on the device when it's
> off (TealLock, for instance). I've been considering moving to that
> lately.

I would use a program to encrypt the data on the device if I were really
worried about protecting the data. It's difficult to use a really secure
password on a Palm, because you have to enter it via Graffiti. A 10-
character random password can take forever, or even be impossible to enter,
so the protection offered by locking programs can be dubious, and is only
as strong as the password. Short, easy-to-enter passwords don't provide a
lot of security. I use Keyring to encrypt my passwords, account
information, etc. It's always encrypted except when I'm actually using it,
so if my Palm, the card, or both get stolen, it's still secure. All the
data in the backup is also encrypted, so I don't need to worry about
encrypting the backup, most of which isn't at all sensitive.

There are lots of ways of dealing with these issues, and you can use
whatever works for you.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:07:02 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in
> news:D mVGc.33545$qw1.2643@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:
>
>> I use a security program (OnlyMe) on the device that locks it cold, even
>> via the infrared port. The only way to run the device is to Hard Reset
>> it if you don't have the password, or else, I imagine, take it apart
>> physically and extract the data. Because of the latter concern, there
>> are security apps that actually encrypt the data on the device when it's
>> off (TealLock, for instance). I've been considering moving to that
>> lately.
>
> I would use a program to encrypt the data on the device if I were really
> worried about protecting the data. It's difficult to use a really secure
> password on a Palm, because you have to enter it via Graffiti. A 10-
> character random password can take forever, or even be impossible to
> enter, so the protection offered by locking programs can be dubious, and
> is only
> as strong as the password. Short, easy-to-enter passwords don't provide a
> lot of security.

OnlyMe lets you use long passwords that can be entered with a gesture on the
onscreen number pad, where you can move from one number to the other
without ever taking the stylus off the screen. Effectively, it allows you
to paint by numbers when entering your password.

I use Keyring too, as I use Linux for my desktop. But I need to keep my
entire Addressbook and Datebook databases secure, so I need more than
Keyring for that.
!