Internal to External Drive Conversion: Possible??

mipo

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
Hi all. I've got two computers right now, a Dell laptop that's great, and an old Gateway desktop that stinks. The only reason I'm keeping it around is because it has two CD drives, one a reader and the other a reader/burner. This enables me to make direct copies of CDs much easier than on the laptop, where it has to first be copied onto the hardrive, then burned. Moreover, it copies the TRANSITIONS between tracks accurately, which the Roxio software that came with the laptop does not, instead adding a 3-second pause between tracks instead of the longer pause or NO pause that exists on the original CD. I know I can upgrade the software, but I'm trying to save a few bucks here, and use what I've already got. What I want to know is, is it possible to take one of the internal drives from the desktop and hook it up to the laptop? I'd like to be able to junk the rest of the desktop, but don't want to do it until I've explored all of my options regarding this problem. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Crazypc.com has a External enclosure, which alows you to convert a CD-rom drive or a HD for External use. and it also converts it from IDE To USB 1.0 Or 2.0 so you can hook it up to your laptop, i guessing your laptop has USB ports right? and im sure other web sites sell them to.