Nokia 770?

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Hi,

I got a gadget feaver, and I think I have a need for this:

-Compact web-browser that I can use at home (WLAN)
-IM
-Email, possibly news
-Streaming radio, mp3 + other music with headphones or external speakers
-Somewhat large screen for decent browsing
-No need to carry the device daily with me

I.e. a device that I can use to check my mails or quickly check a website etc in my living room without need to boot up my computer, and keep it on for listening to radio in the background (decent music quality enough).

No exact pricerange set yet, first I would need to know if there are any devices that are really usable.

I know that I can roughly do this with Nokia 770. However, I read a bunch of reviews, and the performance of the device does not seem to be too good, and long booting times are not what I'm looking for. Does someone here own that, could you share any experiences? The reviews were pretty old, so I'd guess things could have been improving (at least software-wise)? Probably I could find here some powerusers who have tweaked the machine, or is it possible?

If you happen to know other devices for the same purpose, possibly better ones, any advices would be great. Also if this group is not the best one for this kind of posts, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

DougalJ

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Sounds like you my friend, need a PocketPC or PocketPCPhone... (I actually viewed your post, registered on this message board, confirmed the registration via email, logged in, and am now posting from one currently)
Because that sounds like it will meet all of your requirements and will be cheaper/more universal (more software for it, alot of it free) than a 770. I also know someone who got a 770 for work, but didn't seem happy with it.