unkn2232324

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi there,

After installing age of kings, I restart then try to start
the game. The initial splash screen appears, with the
windows pops up a message saying "Empires2.ICD.exe has
encountered an error and will be closed."

I am running win2k pro, any ideas?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi G,

Let's try reinstalling AOK on your system.
Here's how to properly install or reinstall a game (and patch):

Step A: Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with
Firewall, Antivirus & AdBlockers using this method:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796 or this utility:
http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php Reboot, go to Step B.

Step B: In Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs, delete the game and then
the game's folder especially if you previously experienced problems
with a patch, or if you installed the Trial, Mods, NO CD patches, etc.

Note: Click Start to Search or Find your game. Many times there are two installs
of the same game on a system and the patch installs to the wrong one. Also if you
installed a Trial version of the game, this could be causing a conflict.. Uninstall it
and delete the folder.

Step C: Install and Run Regcleaner and if it finds any stray registry keys for the
game, delete them. Reboot your computer, and then re-install the game.
Regcleaner Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

Step D: Play a single player game, using an administrators account if necessary.

Step E: Download new game patches or mods in case the old ones are corrupt.
Double click the patch/mod to install it. If it's a .zip file, unzip it into the
game's folder and follow the instruction in it's readme.txt file.

Step F: Reboot your computer, verify that your game is working properly, and
re-enable any programs that you disabled using the method in Step A.

Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Microsoft MVP Windows XP Shell/User: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk