Old hard drive files unopenable

Tags:
  • Movies
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 4, 2012 2:50:19 AM

Hello,
I had backed up (on my main hdd) several pictures/documents/movies from an old harddrive several years ago- recently i tried to access it and while i can see the whole file structure and names and even information im unable to open any of them- this is almost across the board with the exception of maybe a couple files. I wonder if it could maybe that these are from a different windows based os and maybe incompatible with this computer? could it be a 32bit/64bit problem? or maybe a different file system? WHat are your thoughts?

More about : hard drive files unopenable

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2012 3:03:14 AM

if you are able to read the drive, there is no compatibility problem. 32/64 bit would have nothing to do with it.

seems the files simply got corrupt. same thing happen to a box of floppies i had for several years and want to take a stroll down "memory lane" quite some time ago, bunch of papers from college, they were about all unreadable.

how they got corrupt? well they were floppies and more vulnerable than a hard disc but i suspect the atmospheric temps got a little hot in the box.
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:36:52 AM

I suspect you created the files under a windows which had a password. To be able to open them under the new windows, u need to change the security access to them. Its been a while since I did that. Most likely, you right click on the file and go to the security tab and then to advance. You need to change the permission and define what type of access you want. Maybe some1 else can elaborate more. GL.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 3:31:11 AM

yumj said:
I suspect you created the files under a windows which had a password. To be able to open them under the new windows, u need to change the security access to them. Its been a while since I did that. Most likely, you right click on the file and go to the security tab and then to advance. You need to change the permission and define what type of access you want. Maybe some1 else can elaborate more. GL.

Hey thanks for the reply...

Actually I just realized that these files have been recovered (after having been deleted) by "Recover My Files" and also by "Advanced File Recovery". The thing is it seems like everything else that was recovered seems to work fine. Even the parent folders work fine - once i get to these subfolders everything starts to behave badly- the text/doc files open up gibberish, the pictures are "not recognized" and the zip files are unopenable. The entire directory structure is intact and you wouldnt know from looking at the files that none of them open- i wonder what the deal is with this particular directory....

Now some history- this directory has been transferred several times from different computers to this one (before it was mistakenly deleted on this hdd)... It contains old High school files/pictures/school work that I kept for posterity and so this particular folder has seen a lot of travelling..

So I think its possible that your right regarding the permissions thing (perhaps since the folder was transferred from my old computer, the permissions were not set right).. Its possible i never opened these files on this PC before I mistakenly deleted them (i dont remember- its been awhile since ive been in this folder)..

I dont think its a problem with the recovery because ALL the other files open perfectly (even files in th parent folder of which this one is a subfolder)..

Any ideas?
Jason
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 7:34:43 AM

Anonymous said:
if you are able to read the drive, there is no compatibility problem. 32/64 bit would have nothing to do with it.

seems the files simply got corrupt. same thing happen to a box of floppies i had for several years and want to take a stroll down "memory lane" quite some time ago, bunch of papers from college, they were about all unreadable.

how they got corrupt? well they were floppies and more vulnerable than a hard disc but i suspect the atmospheric temps got a little hot in the box.

Actually, floppy disks can be quite tricky, sometimes they need the original floppy drive to open the disks. Those files are still on the disks, you need a floppy drive similar to the one to which the data was copied otherwise you get the message "Do you want to format?"
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 7:41:51 AM

jasonjf said:
Hello,
I had backed up (on my main hdd) several pictures/documents/movies from an old harddrive several years ago- recently i tried to access it and while i can see the whole file structure and names and even information im unable to open any of them- this is almost across the board with the exception of maybe a couple files. I wonder if it could maybe that these are from a different windows based os and maybe incompatible with this computer? could it be a 32bit/64bit problem? or maybe a different file system? WHat are your thoughts?

A backup procedure is a bit different to just copying the data. A back up file usually has the bkp extension to which you then restore the file to the target drive.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 7:44:02 AM

If the files are still "as is", you allow ALL admin rights to both the source drive and the target drive
m
l
!