Laptop "memory" problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I just brought the ole lady her and my first Laptop computer. I'm pretty groggy so I did a lot of research. I built my last 3 desktops so I expected few problems... well I guess I was wrong. This is what we got:

HP AMD Turion64 2.0mHz chip.
100 gig HD
512 MBs system memory
ATI 200X graphics card.

Got the system up and running and even got the wireless LAN up and running for the whole house. Problem is, I bought the dang thing so she could do work from home. However when she goes to open a document in MS Works/Word (came pre-installed yeck) she gets the following message:

"Unable to open document insufficient memory. Please close Microsoft Works etc... and try again."

This kinda upset me. A check of system memory showed over half my 512 MB was being used with god knows what. Even so, the machine should be able to open ONE document. I tried for hours. I deadened the visuals, closed down the LAN, took stuff off the toolbar and STILL no go. So I'm asking you guys. Could it be:

1. The documents in question were part of a zipped file is it trying to load them all at the same time?

2. Should I delete all preloaded progams on the machine and load my own copy of Word/Works?

3. Should I delete everything and start all over again from scratch?

Thanks in advance...

Da Worfster

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
More than likely you have abunch of tsr loaded. Comes with all of the packaged software. Norton AV is the worst. From the start>run> enter "msconfig" and check to see how much junk is being loaded. Also take a look at "all programs > Startup". Adobe likes to launch reader here.

MS Office is a memory hog. I would unpack the files so you can pick them up seperately instead all at once.

You should bump the ram to at least 1 gig. It is actuall the minimum if your are using office.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the love folks. I did all that you both suggested and more that was mentioned in "TweakGuides" and finally got it to work. I also unloaded that version of "Works" and put in one from 2000 that I'd installed on my previous builds. That seemed to "do the trick". I don't know why they'd put so much junk on a puter that it barely runs out the box.

Thanks again...

Da Worfster

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Manufacturers (like DELL) love jamming every piece of software they can on, I hypothosize because they probably get paid to do so, or get some kind of kick back.

You can't tell me DELL is paying $100 for Windows like you and I on a $499 machine!

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Personally I think Microsoft Works SUCKS...maybe it's because I'm so darn used to Word, or maybe its because it has fewer features and doesn't do automatic spell check/grammar check for you....hm...

Status
Not open for further replies.