X-Wing Alliance Joystick Driver Problems XP PRO

I have lost my original driver disk for this game for my
joystick, the drivers i've been told i need are version
3.02, yet these drivers are only compatible with WIN
95/98 i get the error message

"Error creating process <setup\_SETUP.EXE>. Reason, the
system file cannot be specified",

Are there any drivers for XP PRO,

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 1
---

Hi,

"iceman2315" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20eb01c4a7a3$01a05890$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| I have lost my original driver disk for this game for my
| joystick, the drivers i've been told i need are version
| 3.02, yet these drivers are only compatible with WIN
| 95/98 i get the error message
|
| "Error creating process <setup\_SETUP.EXE>. Reason, the
| system file cannot be specified",
|
| Are there any drivers for XP PRO,
|
| Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 1
| ---

Here are instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:

The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible, of
course, you have to be using an administrators account to install it*.
If it gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
*Install the software before connecting the device to the USB port!

Version 3 software isn't XP compatible, we'll use XP's drivers instead.
While USB devices just plug and play, GamePort devices need work:

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>Yeah Jimmy

I clicked on auto-detect, it detects the Microsoft
Sidewinder 3D Pro, but it says it not detected, so i cant
configure the calibrations or force feedback controls,
when i run the game, it comes up with joystick not
detected, and quits

>.

Hi Iceman,

Are you using the USB model or the Gameport one?
If it's the gameport model, are you using an adapter?

--

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2df601c4a7c1$175b6990$a601280a@phx.gbl...

> [...]
| >|
| >| "Error creating process <setup\_SETUP.EXE>. Reason, the
| >| system file cannot be specified",
| >|
| >| Are there any drivers for XP PRO,
| >|
| >| Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 1
| >| ---
| >
| >Here are instructions for both the USB and the Gameport
| models:
| >
| >The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP
| compatible, of
| >course, you have to be using an administrators account
| to install it*.
| >If it gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue
| installing it.
| >*Install the software before connecting the device to
| the USB port!
| >
| >Version 3 software isn't XP compatible, we'll use XP's
| drivers instead.
| >While USB devices just plug and play, GamePort devices
| need work:
| >
| >To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click
| Start / Control Panel /
| >Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click
| Game Controllers
| >Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect /
| OK / OK.
| >
| >--
| >Cheers, Windows XP MVP
| Shell / User
| >Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=sz;en-us;top
| >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
| confer any rights.
| >_________________________________________________________
| >
| >Yeah Jimmy
|
| I clicked on auto-detect, it detects the Microsoft
| Sidewinder 3D Pro, but it says it not detected, so i cant
| configure the calibrations or force feedback controls,
| when i run the game, it comes up with joystick not
| detected, and quits
| >
| >.

Shell / User
>Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
>Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

Check that midi port with another device to see if it's
the port or the device which is at fault. If it's the port
update the sound card drivers. Hope that helps.

--

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:309601c4a7e5$36411200$a601280a@phx.gbl...

> [...]
| >| >|
| the
| >| >|
| >| >|

| Gameport
| >| models:

| >| compatible, of
| >| to install it*.
| continue
| >| installing it.
| >| the USB port!

| >| drivers instead.
| >| need work:

| >| Start / Control Panel /
| >| Game Controllers
| Detect /
| >| OK / OK.

| >| Shell / User
| >| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| >| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| >| scid=sz;en-us;top
| do I
| >| confer any rights.
| >|
| >_________________________________________________________

| >|

--

_

>><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

MVP

_

>>| I clicked on auto-detect, it detects the Microsoft
>>| Sidewinder 3D Pro, but it says it not detected, so i
>cant
>>| configure the calibrations or force feedback controls,
>>| when i run the game, it comes up with joystick not
>>| detected, and quits

>>.This is the midi gameport version, not the USB version
>>
>.

Hi Iceman,

Update the drivers for your sound card which is hosting
the midi gameport. That should correct the problem.

--

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0fcc01c4a868$8dd15d30$a501280a@phx.gbl...

> [...]

Also make sure you only have one active gameport/MIDI port. If you have more
than one things can get stuffed up and not work right. That is to say things
will happen like the system will look for data on the wrong port, and/or
send data back to a different/wrong port.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----