Can't play Aoe II at all, please help.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi, when i load up age of empires, i go to start a game,
but when i click start game whatever it may be, campaign,
regicide, multiplayer, the game crashes straight back to
the desktop. Could anyone help me in why this happens or
any solutions to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Harry,

Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :)

If reinstalling the game hasn't helped then..

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:589901c42d55$a827fec0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| Hi, when i load up age of empires, i go to start a game,
| but when i click start game whatever it may be, campaign,
| regicide, multiplayer, the game crashes straight back to
| the desktop. Could anyone help me in why this happens or
| any solutions to fix this problem.
| Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

You need to post your computer specs, it's just about impossible to
trouble shoot a problem with the vague info you posted.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi, thanks for your help. Unfortuntly i still hav the same
problem :(.
I reinstalled the game and it didn't help, then using
mscongig i disabled all of the startup items and it had no
effect. When trying the virus scan i clicked scan, and
then explorer seemed to close and it came up with a
message saying a trojan has been found please reboot your
computer, and then i had to restart my pc. I run the disk
cleanup etc, and also did all of the reccomended things on
spybot. I have all the critical updates off microsoft, and
have downloaded the patch for age of empires. As for the
video cards im not sure what to do.
ps. are you sure that doing all of this will not effect my
p.c in any way.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Harry,

We found the problem - you had a Trojan infect your system.
We've removed the Trojan, however it's damage may remain.

If the damage from the Trojan was excessive, you'll have to repair
Windows by reinstalling it over itself or making a clean reinstall. :-s

--

"Harry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:630a01c42e17$56a27770$a101280a@phx.gbl...
| Hi, thanks for your help. Unfortuntly i still hav the same
| problem :(.
| I reinstalled the game and it didn't help, then using
| mscongig i disabled all of the startup items and it had no
| effect. When trying the virus scan i clicked scan, and
| then explorer seemed to close and it came up with a
| message saying a trojan has been found please reboot your
| computer, and then i had to restart my pc. I run the disk
| cleanup etc, and also did all of the reccomended things on
| spybot. I have all the critical updates off microsoft, and
| have downloaded the patch for age of empires. As for the
| video cards im not sure what to do.
| ps. are you sure that doing all of this will not effect my
| p.c in any way.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Sorry, still no luck, reinstalling the game did actually
help for 1 game, but then when i reloaded it the crash
kept continuing. Using msconfig i disalbed all of the
startup items one at a time and it had no effect. When
running the virus scan, i pressed scan and then explorer
seemed to close down, it said there ws a trojan which
would be fixed if the computer was rebooted, then i
pressed ok and nothing worked. I tried repeating the virus
scan but the same happened. I did download and run spybot,
and removed all of the things it suggested, bar one which
was windows media player. I also run the disk cleanup etc.
and i also have every critical update of microsoft update.
as for updating the video cards etc. im not sure what to
do??

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| Hi, when i load up age of empires, i go to start a game,
>| but when i click start game whatever it may be,
campaign,
>| regicide, multiplayer, the game crashes straight back to
>| the desktop. Could anyone help me in why this happens or
>| any solutions to fix this problem.
>| Thanks in advance
>

>.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Harry,

We found the problem: A Trojan had infected your system.
If the cleanup tools that remove the Trojan are not able to
recover your system to the way it was, reinstall Windows
over itself, or do a fresh clean repair. Be careful what you
install in the future Harry, that's how you got hit with a Trojan.

--

"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:719901c43031$dc2c0660$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Sorry, still no luck, reinstalling the game did actually
| help for 1 game, but then when i reloaded it the crash
| kept continuing. Using msconfig i disalbed all of the
| startup items one at a time and it had no effect. When
| running the virus scan, i pressed scan and then explorer
| seemed to close down, it said there ws a trojan which
| would be fixed if the computer was rebooted, then i
| pressed ok and nothing worked. I tried repeating the virus
| scan but the same happened. I did download and run spybot,
| and removed all of the things it suggested, bar one which
| was windows media player. I also run the disk cleanup etc.
| and i also have every critical update of microsoft update.
| as for updating the video cards etc. im not sure what to
| do??

So how would you do the fresh clean repair? Is it just the
same as rebooting the computer. Does that mean i have to
delete everything :S
Thanks

Shell / User
>Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
>Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| Sorry, still no luck, reinstalling the game did actually
>| help for 1 game, but then when i reloaded it the crash
>| kept continuing. Using msconfig i disalbed all of the
>| startup items one at a time and it had no effect. When
>| running the virus scan, i pressed scan and then explorer
>| seemed to close down, it said there ws a trojan which
>| would be fixed if the computer was rebooted, then i
>| pressed ok and nothing worked. I tried repeating the
virus
>| scan but the same happened. I did download and run
spybot,
>| and removed all of the things it suggested, bar one
which
>| was windows media player. I also run the disk cleanup
etc.
>| and i also have every critical update of microsoft
update.
>| as for updating the video cards etc. im not sure what to
>| do??

You won't delete anything.. Here's the XP method:
--
How To Repair Windows:
Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:

Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

--

"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:78c501c43106$1a7708f0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| So how would you do the fresh clean repair? Is it just the
| same as rebooting the computer. Does that mean i have to
| delete everything :S
| Thanks

| >|

| >|
| >_________________________________________________________

| game,
| >| campaign,
| back to
| happens or

| >.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Harry,

You can reinstall Windows 98 / Me or 2000 over itself
which will fix the Windows system files without deleting
your personal data. Just run setup from the Windows CD.

--

"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:811a01c431f8$52515990$a401280a@phx.gbl...

| I havn't got XP, does this mean i can't do it??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hope it works and you can get back to using
Sundays to play games rather than installing them. :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Harry" <harry_da_badman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a65401c435b5$29b29a60$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| Thanks ill try that and get back to you on whether it
| works or not.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Sorry to keep this thread alive for so long, but you guys sound like you
know your stuff, so I thought I'd pick your brains:

Same basic prob as Harry - AoK will not load. Got the XP error, "Windows has
closed the program. Sorry for the inconveniance." Blah Blah Blah. Same old
error report junk.

Re-installed, un-installed, I've done it all. No luck.

There are, however, two things I noticed, which I heard someone mention on
microsoft.public.ageofempires. First, the EULA never loads, either on the
install, or the boot up of the game (and no, it's not a kazaa copy.) And
second, the installation NEVER prompts me to reboot.

These strike me as quite odd, since the game works fine on my basement CPU
which has Windows ME. Any suggestions, all?

Many thanks in advance,
A. Giamberardino