Megatonone

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
i'm getting a "system failed memory test...system now booting from os" message when i boot up. however, i don't get it every time. i have crucial 3200 (2ea 512) and it's installed in dimm 2 & 3 (blue dimms). everything seems to work fine as best i can tell. my settings are as follows:

cpu = 200mhz (a little oc'd)
cpu freq mult= 9.5
sys perf= aggressive
cpu interface= aggressive
mem freq= 100%
resulting freq= 200mhz
mem timing= aggressive
active precharge=8
ras to cas=3
ras precharge=3
cas lat= 3t

i do also have the western dig raptor (10k) hd

i'm a novice when it comes to oc'n

thanx for any ideas on what might be causing this error msg

Megaton

Megaton

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Failed memory test ain't good...
ya might try setting the mem timing to "Optimal" and let it set itself a more moderately.... but failed mem test aint good at all...
Try usin 1 mem module - see if ya can determine which module is causing the prob...
If all runs ok at the proper speed - ya just might be out there a little too far!

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try simply using the stock frequencies and timings as per SPD configuration. In other words, try not overclocking anything as a test of the components. Overclocking introduces all sorts of variables to influence stability. If the CPU is designed to run at 333FSB, then run it at that. The memory usually performs better overall if the frequency matches the FSB, so set it back to 333.
These changes should result in a good platform to isolate any malfunctions. Then you could slowly build up the speed until reaching any instability, and then back off a ways to good stability.
Hope this helps,
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The voice reporter "SHOULD" be on a seperate program and isolated from the actual booting. I could be wrong tho, and if I am, we will hear shortly from another, heh.
If you like, I am pretty sure you can disable the voice reporter in bios.
Glad to assist,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 06/03/03 05:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Whenever i overclock i make very certain that everything is working perfectly before declaring a particular OC "stable"

In your case it might be wise to test your ram at those settings with MEMTEST86. A nice little dos program that weeks out any memory issues you may be having.

<b>My PC is so powerful it it makes a 286-16 look slow!</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>