flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I bought one of these sound cards a few weeks ago, and it has replaced my sb live platinum 5.1. However, when I enable CD under the mixer, it gives a hissing sound on my speakers, and is pretty annoying. Also, when I disable it, winamp won't play cd's- I have to use powerdvd. Any help would be appreciated.

Hilbert space is a big place.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check/replace the audio CD cable, look for damage (had a similar problem when I spliced 2 cables together to connect my new subwoofer to my soundcard, the unshielded wire caused a lot of hissing & feedback thru my subwoofer)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat... (Click me name to see me spec)

Ptryans

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
is the card any good, and do you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard?

i have one (VIA) but i get a lot of problems with my audigy card when playing games. would like to know if the card is any good before i part with my cash!

Man was created by Aliens
Life on Earth was created by GOD
Who created the Aliens

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
You should still get CD audio without the cable plugged in, though the cable allows for digital CD audio.

I'm wondering, do you get any sound at all from the CDs, or is it just static, no matter what the audio is?

Also, do you have the CD cable plugged into the correct plug on the sound card, as sometimes there is an AUX input and a CD input.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I get sound from the cd's, but with that annoying static/ hissing. Odd part is when I disable cd1 input, I have to use windows media player or powerdvd to play- winamp won't work.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
does you drive play Cds okay (plug headphones/speakers into the drive & listen...

do you have only one audio cable running from your CD drive to the soundcard (ie you dont have a std audio & digital audio cables running to the SC both from 1 drive or one from 2 diff drives)

your speakers are fine& working (try in the headphone jack on a walkman/hifi) ???

you system is nowhere near live cables in the wall ???

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat... (Click me name to see me spec)